Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

An embarrassment for Gray Middle School

Featured Replies

Friday night I made the mistake of going to Grammas Pizza on US 42 in Florence for dinner. The food and service were great, but the Gray Middle School 8th grade girls basketball team, their parents, and their coach were loud, obnoxious, disrespectful, and frankly a huge embarrassment. I understand they were all their celebrating a big win. I don’t fault the girls so much but do fault bad parenting, poor leadership by the coach, and manager that was scared to kick them out because the owner is friends with some of the parents.

 

In short here is some of what went on:

Almost none of the girls were sitting in seats, they were roaming the restaurant like it was a teen club, walking in and out of the restaurant (it was really cold out), and sitting on a railing not meant for sitting with their feet on the chairs.

The girls were extremely loud, one of them was doing some type of quasi stand-up comedy routine that had the other girls and parents not just laughing but roaring.

Some of the parents were also standing/roaming around the restaurant with their drinks.

The girls made a mess of the restaurant and the bathroom. For example, I guess they give away free Dum Dum Suckers when you pay. Those things were everywhere smashed on the floor, wrappers on the floor etc.

Our waitress kept apologizing for their behavior. We never complained about it but did engage her once she went on about it.

I knew several of the parents and even talked to one privately about everyone’s behavior. He was most certainly offended by my suggestion they were out of control and should be kicked out of the restaurant. He told me in a very arrogant tone they spent a lot of money and no one would be kicking them out. Then he huddled with some other parents and they gave me the stinky eye.

 

I had a discussion with the manager and our waitress and learned every last customer that was in the restaurant was unhappy. One customer approached Gray’s basketball coach and complained directly and the coach said something like she would try to calm them down but she had no control over the parents. The staff also told me it was going to take them two hours to clean up the mess and contrary to what they guy I knew said about them spending a lot of money at the restaurant the staff certainly didn't feel that way.

 

I am all for people celebrating but not at the expense of numerous others. Since nearly all the girls had Gray sweatshirts on and the Gray coach was present this is a lack of leadership issue on her part and a huge embarrassment. Furthermore I can’t believe all the parents let their children get out of control like that but then again so many people in life are selfish. Finally, I think the restaurant should have warned them and then kicked them out but the manager didn't feel comfortable taking action against some of the owner’s friends.

 

Somewhere Tom Hummel is rolling over in his rocking chair…

  • Replies 55
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No class. Act like you've been there before. It's easy to celebrate without making fools of yourselves.

Welcome to 2013, at least the girls wernt on stripper poles.

Welcome to 2013, at least the girls wernt on stripper poles.

 

Not yet...

Friday night I made the mistake of going to Grammas Pizza on US 42 in Florence for dinner. The food and service were great, but the Gray Middle School 8th grade girls basketball team, their parents, and their coach were loud, obnoxious, disrespectful, and frankly a huge embarrassment. I understand they were all their celebrating a big win. I don’t fault the girls so much but do fault bad parenting, poor leadership by the coach, and manager that was scared to kick them out because the owner is friends with some of the parents.

 

In short here is some of what went on:

Almost none of the girls were sitting in seats, they were roaming the restaurant like it was a teen club, walking in and out of the restaurant (it was really cold out), and sitting on a railing not meant for sitting with their feet on the chairs.

The girls were extremely loud, one of them was doing some type of quasi stand-up comedy routine that had the other girls and parents not just laughing but roaring.

Some of the parents were also standing/roaming around the restaurant with their drinks.

The girls made a mess of the restaurant and the bathroom. For example, I guess they give away free Dum Dum Suckers when you pay. Those things were everywhere smashed on the floor, wrappers on the floor etc.

Our waitress kept apologizing for their behavior. We never complained about it but did engage her once she went on about it.

I knew several of the parents and even talked to one privately about everyone’s behavior. He was most certainly offended by my suggestion they were out of control and should be kicked out of the restaurant. He told me in a very arrogant tone they spent a lot of money and no one would be kicking them out. Then he huddled with some other parents and they gave me the stinky eye.

 

I had a discussion with the manager and our waitress and learned every last customer that was in the restaurant was unhappy. One customer approached Gray’s basketball coach and complained directly and the coach said something like she would try to calm them down but she had no control over the parents. The staff also told me it was going to take them two hours to clean up the mess and contrary to what they guy I knew said about them spending a lot of money at the restaurant the staff certainly didn't feel that way.

 

I am all for people celebrating but not at the expense of numerous others. Since nearly all the girls had Gray sweatshirts on and the Gray coach was present this is a lack of leadership issue on her part and a huge embarrassment. Furthermore I can’t believe all the parents let their children get out of control like that but then again so many people in life are selfish. Finally, I think the restaurant should have warned them and then kicked them out but the manager didn't feel comfortable taking action against some of the owner’s friends.

 

Somewhere Tom Hummel is rolling over in his rocking chair…

 

I can only imagine how they would act if they LOST!

First, I would have left and let the management know why. While I'm all for kids celebrating a win, there is a way to do it. Now, that being said, these are young kids so the "adults" in the group have to take and keep control, which I must say seems to be lacking more and more these days.

I agree with you 100%! I would have said said something to the place that since everyone else in there were not happy with the group they had an obligation to to at least warn them. Plus, spending a lot of money in a place doesn't mean you can leave the place a mess.

  • Author
First, I would have left and let the management know why. While I'm all for kids celebrating a win, there is a way to do it. Now, that being said, these are young kids so the "adults" in the group have to take and keep control, which I must say seems to be lacking more and more these days.

 

I agree on leaving but once we ordered our food we were in a bind. One, we were short on time and two once we order we are responsible to pay for it so we tried to tough it out. It was so loud we struggled to talk to each other.

 

We did make our opinion ultra clear to the manager when we did leave. He genuinely appeared to agree with us and told us his owner is going to take it up with them for the future.

 

I will go back because it is close and the food is really good but if I see "that group" inside I will find another restaurant.

I agree on leaving but once we ordered our food we were in a bind. One, we were short on time and two once we order we are responsible to pay for it so we tried to tough it out. It was so loud we struggled to talk to each other.

 

We did make our opinion ultra clear to the manager when we did leave. He genuinely appeared to agree with us and told us his owner is going to take it up with them for the future.

 

I will go back because it is close and the food is really good but if I see "that group" inside I will find another restaurant.

 

Think an email to a school official might help? Although he/she probably will say once they are off school property he/she has no responsibility. I'd say if this happens quite a bit, the owner's regular customers might find another restaurant.

Thank an email to a school official might help? Although he/she probably will say once they are off school property he/she has no responsibility. I'd say if this happens quite a bit, the owner's regular customers might find another restaurant.

 

On second thought, maybe leave the school official out of it for now, see if the owner will take control. But if it happens again....

Think an email to a school official might help? Although he/she probably will say once they are off school property he/she has no responsibility. I'd say if this happens quite a bit, the owner's regular customers might find another restaurant.

 

I do believe that the school adm. should be made aware of this situtation.

I do believe that the school adm. should be made aware of this situtation.

 

Make that two teachers that think you should contact the school.

Did you get any pix of that Stinky Eye they were shooting you?

The school administration would definitely want to know. (If they don't already)

The school leaders cannot correct problems they don't know about.

I wish parents would take care of these types of issues, but they are often more at fault than the kids. But if it was a team outing and the coach was there, the coach should have taken care of it.

I agree with the above. Even though they were not on school property, they clearly represented the school in a very poor way. Very sad that parents would defend such action.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.