Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ryan Freel Has Died

Featured Replies

How bad does it have to get to take your own life? I guess everyone has a different threshold, but I wish people would reach out for help more than they do. Whenever I hear about these sad stories, I always wish I could have talked to them before they ended it all. Heart breaking.

  • Author

CTrent says he has at least two daughters.

I'm sorry to hear this. I really liked him when he was with the Reds. I'm sorry that he was so unhappy.

I have a hard time feeling bad the people who do this but my heart goes out to his family that must be having trouble bearing this loss.

Prayers are with him and most importantly his family during this tough time.

Hate to hear this. I'm pretty sure he had drinking issues at some point in his life which might have played a role. I believe he had a number on concussions as well.

I love watching guys go balls to the wall. He always did. He made up for his lack of MLB talent with shear determination.

Very sad, I sure loved his love of the game.

How bad does it have to get to take your own life? I guess everyone has a different threshold, but I wish people would reach out for help more than they do. Whenever I hear about these sad stories, I always wish I could have talked to them before they ended it all. Heart breaking.

 

It gets pretty dark sometimes and all the words from all those you love is not enough for some to choose to stay with us. I know from experience that even the best of us can get into such a painful place that rational thought is nowhere to be found and escape is all they can think of.

I love watching guys go balls to the wall. He always did. He made up for his lack of MLB talent with shear determination.

 

Pete Rose-esque. RIP Ryan.

Only 36, it seems like ages ago when he played for the Reds. Remember those Ryan Freel "dirty" t shirts?

 

I have one of those shirts somewhere. Was the only of my friends to get one at the game they gave them away because I walked in a different gate.

 

Seems like so long ago that he played for the Reds. Hated hearing this on Saturday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/sports/baseball/game-not-known-for-ferocity-claims-a-casualty-who-was.html?_r=0

 

Christie Moore Freel lost count of the nights her husband, Ryan, arrived home from the ballpark with a tale that added to her growing concern over his health.

 

“I don’t know how many times he would talk about sliding into second or third base and blacking out or seeing stars,” she said Saturday in a telephone interview from her home in Jacksonville, Fla.

 

Based on the recollections of the player’s mother and Ryan Freel’s own statements, his stepfather, Clark Vargas, estimated that Freel may have sustained 15 concussions, 10 as a professional ballplayer.

 

“I cringed that that’s who he was — all-out, full throttle,” she said. “It was very hard to watch.”

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.