Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Charging / Flopping

Featured Replies

  • Author

To my question, if officials were told they should make a call when a defender trying to draw a charge hits the floor - charge or foul on the defender - do you think it would reduce the flopping?

  • Replies 76
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To my question, if officials were told they should make a call when a defender trying to draw a charge hits the floor - charge or foul on the defender - do you think it would reduce the flopping?

 

Yes, but that is a slippery slope to go down in my opinion. There are a lot of plays where there is contact and a player may lose their balance, not land right, and fall to the floor. They shouldn't receive a foul for that. I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure it makes the game better.

 

I think what ends it is giving the technical foul for obvious flops, which I thought was already the rule in college and high school, just never enforced.

 

In the end it's still the judgement call of the official.

Check the ESPN highlights online at around 30 seconds.

 

And I'm pretty sure you claimed Duke was always good at "drawing charges" in the recap thread, so now you're admitting they're at least equally as good and flopping like a dead fish?

 

Regardless of the times they've flopped they are still top of the line when it comes to drawing charges. I never said they have never flopped.

Check the ESPN highlights online at around 30 seconds.

 

And I'm pretty sure you claimed Duke was always good at "drawing charges" in the recap thread, so now you're admitting they're at least equally as good and flopping like a dead fish?

 

I'm on my iPhone and it won't let me see the video. Can you link it in here so it will format for my phone?

It is what it is. It's a judgement call...

 

I've got no problem with it. To be honest, I've kind of come to respect the way they embrace flopping.

 

This thread reminds me of the many threads I've seen on UNC, UL, Duke and many other rival boards about UK's current one and done recruiting hot streak. Cal is ruining the game... The NCAA needs to put a stop to UK's one and done NBA factory... That kind of stuff.

 

Cal is using a rule to his and UK's advantage the same way Coach K. is using a rule to his and Duke's advantage. Neither are doing anything wrong, they just do it better than most.

  • Author

I liken charging/flopping to Dean Smith's four corners offense. Everyone could see that it was a good strategy but there was no doubt it was not good for the game. So they changed the rule and brought in the shot clock. The game changes and rules sometimes have to change too.

The "it's a T if a player fakes a charge in high school" is a myth.

VOR - All contact is not a foul and should not be called a foul even if the defender falls. You simply do not call anything if the defender flops. After a while they stop flopping.

The "it's a T if a player fakes a charge in high school" is a myth.

 

It wasn't a myth in 1982 because one of our high school guards had it called on him in a game at Jackson City. And he deserved the technical because he started falling backwards before the player touched him. The ref that made the call is now the assigning secreatary in the 14 the region. Its been a long time but I remember the call because I hadn't seen anyone call it before.

VOR - All contact is not a foul and should not be called a foul even if the defender falls. You simply do not call anything if the defender flops. After a while they stop flopping.

 

The problem is that officials don't simply not make a call. Frequently the end up calling a charge that wasn't one. That's why you crack down on flopping. Many times it takes 3 or 4 camera angles to find a clear shot showing a blatant flop. Unless we're going to let officials go to the replay monitor on all block/charge calls, then they need to start actively eliminating flopping. Obviously the NBA has seen this issue, so why would it not be an issue in college?

Flopping is an issue, I think, but the bigger issue has been officials being incapable of getting a block/charge call right.

It wasn't a myth in 1982 because one of our high school guards had it called on him in a game at Jackson City. And he deserved the technical because he started falling backwards before the player touched him. The ref that made the call is now the assigning secreatary in the 14 the region. Its been a long time but I remember the call because I hadn't seen anyone call it before.

 

In 1982 it may have been a rule. It also could have been a myth that the official thought was a rule. I'll see if I can find out about the history of it.

Flopping is an issue, I think, but the bigger issue has been officials being incapable of getting a block/charge call right.

 

From experience, it's THE hardest call to make overall. Some are easy but many are very close.

VOR - All contact is not a foul and should not be called a foul even if the defender falls. You simply do not call anything if the defender flops. After a while they stop flopping.

 

Do they?

From a fan standpoint especially at the high school level, there is nothing more ugly than a player that is not any good lowering his head and driving at the basket full speed, a defensive player trying to stay in front of him, and the players making contact and the kid throwing it up at the rim and hoping for a foul! This is what makes basketball ugly and why we have players that can't shoot anymore! If they started blowing their whistles every time players hit the floor, charge or block i think that the strategy of basketball would change some and you would eventually get a better flow in the course of a game. JMO!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.