Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Charging / Flopping

Featured Replies

  • Author
VOR - All contact is not a foul and should not be called a foul even if the defender falls. You simply do not call anything if the defender flops. After a while they stop flopping.

 

I agree. Basketball is a contact sport and I like it that way. I disagree that players stop flopping when it isn't called. I also think this needs a bigger fix than the discretion of each official on a game by game basis. If a player hits the floor in an attempt to draw a charge, players should know that if it isn't a charge they will almost surely be called for a foul. THAT will stop the flopping. When players know it is part of the way every game is going to be called, they will stop doing it. And it will make it easier on officials too because there will be less of this flopping happening.

  • Replies 76
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. Basketball is a contact sport and I like it that way. I disagree that players stop flopping when it isn't called. I also think this needs a bigger fix than the discretion of each official on a game by game basis. If a player hits the floor in an attempt to draw a charge, players should know that if it isn't a charge they will almost surely be called for a foul. THAT will stop the flopping. When players know it is part of the way every game is going to be called, they will stop doing it. And it will make it easier on officials too because there will be less of this flopping happening.

 

Why would we put a rule in play that has no bearing on the play ?

 

Officials just need to do their job better. You don't put a rule in because officials are not calling something properly.

The problem is that officials don't simply not make a call. Frequently the end up calling a charge that wasn't one. That's why you crack down on flopping. Many times it takes 3 or 4 camera angles to find a clear shot showing a blatant flop. Unless we're going to let officials go to the replay monitor on all block/charge calls, then they need to start actively eliminating flopping. Obviously the NBA has seen this issue, so why would it not be an issue in college?

 

I don't know how much NBA you watch but it got really really bad last year. Something had to be done. I haven't seen it in college at the level it was last year in the NBA. It reached soccer level last year.

  • Author
Why would we put a rule in play that has no bearing on the play ?

 

Officials just need to do their job better. You don't put a rule in because officials are not calling something properly.

 

It doesn't even have to be a rule. It is a point of emphasis. Officials will be focused on making a call anytime a defender hits the floor in an attempt to draw a charge. If the defender was not in place and set to get the charging call, then that contact will result in a foul call on the defender. It is just that simple. I really think it would make officials' jobs so much easier once this is in place and it would definitely improve the game of basketball.

It doesn't even have to be a rule. It is a point of emphasis. Officials will be focused on making a call anytime a defender hits the floor in an attempt to draw a charge. If the defender was not in place and set to get the charging call, then that contact will result in a foul call on the defender. It is just that simple. I really think it would make officials' jobs so much easier once this is in place and it would definitely improve the game of basketball.

 

You only call a foul if it impacts the play. If it's not a block and it's not a PC then what are you calling?

I have given up on trying to understand the rules as it relates to charging and flopping. As it stands now, if my team is on offense and they drive the ball and the defender goes down, I just automatically assume now they will call it in favor of the defender and consider it an aberration if the call goes the other way.

The "it's a T if a player fakes a charge in high school" is a myth.

 

Spoke with an active 9th Region official tonight. He's been officiating for 30+ years. He's been a crew chief for several state games over the years including a Women's State Championship Game.

 

I asked him about a player blatantly faking a charge and he said that it is definitely in the book and an official can call a technical.

 

So there it is.

Spoke with an active 9th Region official tonight. He's been officiating for 30+ years. He's been a crew chief for several state games over the years including a Women's State Championship Game.

 

I asked him about a player blatantly faking a charge and he said that it is definitely in the book and an official can call a technical.

 

So there it is.

 

Chappie?

Yep. Those are flops. Show me some from last night. That's what got this going.

 

 

Greg Paulus is the worst offender. There are some really good ones from him if you keep looking.

 

I specifically recall 2 flops, 1 was Seth curry. Can't remember the other player.

 

Honestly I have no problems with players taking charges. What some people consider flopping, I consider great, smart defense. But there is a fine line between 'selling it' and flopping.

 

Duke flopped more on offense than they did defensively. I've never seen so many players try to draw a cheap foul after shooting a 3...

Chappie?

 

Not sure about Chappie but My boy Ernie Liggett says it is indeed a "T" for a flop. He said he handled it as block the 1st time and then the player was warned. The next time was an automated "T" with an advised trip to the bench. There you go!:thumb:

Spoke with an active 9th Region official tonight. He's been officiating for 30+ years. He's been a crew chief for several state games over the years including a Women's State Championship Game.

 

I asked him about a player blatantly faking a charge and he said that it is definitely in the book and an official can call a technical.

 

 

 

So there it is.

 

There is a general statement regarding Ts and one of the possibilities is "faking a foul". Never seen it called. I checked on an officials board I read and none of them have ever seen it called or called it themselves.

There is a general statement regarding Ts and one of the possibilities is "faking a foul".

 

So then it's not a myth? And you can receive a technical for flopping, right?

 

Just because it isn't ever called, doesn't make my original statement, in post #2 false.

So then it's not a myth? And you can receive a technical for flopping, right?

 

Just because it isn't ever called, doesn't make my original statement, in post #2 false.

 

Depends on how you interpret "faking being fouled." What was the intent of the rule as worded? There is no rule in the book that says flopping is a T.

 

You will never see it called. For one, if it's obvious that there was not enough contact to warrant the flop the D is already penalized because they have one man on the floor not guarding anyone. If it's "close" then you can never call it a "flop." You will call either PC or block.

 

There is an art to reading a rulebook. Often you have to go to the Officials Manual in order to get interpretations of the wording used in the rulebook.

 

I'll ask again. Why would you call a T? You either have nothing and it's 5-on-4 or you have enough contact that warrants a call.

Are we also advocating calling Ts on guards who throw their head back like they've been shot when they are bumped dribbling?

 

Are we going to call a T when a kid sets a pick and acts like Deacon Jones(look it up, youngsters) put a head slap on the picker and they fall back?

 

Exaggerating has been, is, and always will be part of the game. Officials just have to be smart.

Depends on how you interpret "faking being fouled." What was the intent of the rule as worded? There is no rule in the book that says flopping is a T.

 

You will never see it called. For one, if it's obvious that there was not enough contact to warrant the flop the D is already penalized because they have one man on the floor not guarding anyone. If it's "close" then you can never call it a "flop." You will call either PC or block.

 

There is an art to reading a rulebook. Often you have to go to the Officials Manual in order to get interpretations of the wording used in the rulebook.

 

I'll ask again. Why would you call a T? You either have nothing and it's 5-on-4 or you have enough contact that warrants a call.

 

I will just chalk this response up to you not being able to admit that you were wrong this time. I asked/made a statement:

 

Am I wrong, or do officials still have the ability to give a technical to a defender for blatantly flopping on a charge call? I could have sworn that used to be a rule.

 

Turns out, that I was right. Whether it is never actually called or not, doesn't make my post in #2 a myth.

 

And just for good measure, the official I spoke to has called it twice in his career.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.