Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Charging / Flopping

Featured Replies

Should be a no call in my opinion but that will always be called one way or the other.

 

Correct on both.

  • Replies 76
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is the charging call defined in the rule book?

 

It has a few requirements which then require you knowing definitions.

 

Must have legal guarding position.

Must be established before shooter goes airborne.

Contact from the offensive player must be to the torso.

Defender can be moving.

Defender cannot be moving forward.

  • Author
It has a few requirements which then require you knowing definitions.

 

Must have legal guarding position.

Must be established before shooter goes airborne.

Contact from the offensive player must be to the torso.

Defender can be moving.

Defender cannot be moving forward.

 

Can the defender be moving sideways and still get a charge?

Can the defender be moving sideways and still get a charge?

 

Yes.

 

IF he has established LGP.

  • Author
Yes.

 

IF he has established LGP.

 

I totally disagree with that. Way too big an advantage to the defender to be allowed to move sideways and still get a charge.

I totally disagree with that. Way too big an advantage to the defender to be allowed to move sideways and still get a charge.

 

I'd argue you don't fully understand the concept of LGP.

 

I'm not saying that "sliding over" is allowed.

It has a few requirements which then require you knowing definitions.

 

Must have legal guarding position.

Must be established before shooter goes airborne.

Contact from the offensive player must be to the torso.

Defender can be moving.

Defender cannot be moving forward.

 

Can you elaborate on #3 (contact from offensive player must be to the torso)?

Can you elaborate on #3 (contact from offensive player must be to the torso)?

 

Contact outside of the torso (say to the shoulder or to the arms of the defender) do not qualify.

  • Author
I'd argue you don't fully understand the concept of LGP.

 

I'm not saying that "sliding over" is allowed.

 

 

I see this called a charge all the time and I don't think it should be. Defender sets feet, offensive player jumps to the right to go past defender for layup, defender's upper body (not his feet) moves to the left and creates contact, charging is called. I don't believe a defender should be allowed to move at all in any direction once the offensive player leaves his feet and get a charge.

 

I have no problem with drawing charges. I did it a lot when I played. But I would make sure you earned the charge if I were an official. Any borderline calls I give to the offense.

I see this called a charge all the time and I don't think it should be. Defender sets feet, offensive player jumps to the right to go past defender for layup, defender's upper body (not his feet) moves to the left and creates contact, charging is called. I don't believe a defender should be allowed to move at all in any direction once the offensive player leaves his feet and get a charge.

 

.

 

That's now what you asked or I answered.

  • Author
That's now what you asked or I answered.

 

I didn't say it was. I just wanted to describe in detail a situation I see that I think is often called wrong, or maybe differently than what I would like to see. Obviously there are many situations we could talk about where a defender is moving and can still draw a charge.

I didn't say it was. I just wanted to describe in detail a situation I see that I think is often called wrong, or maybe differently than what I would like to see. Obviously there are many situations we could talk about where a defender is moving and can still draw a charge.

 

I see misses when watching on TV. However, it's probably not as many as many think. Plus, the angle you have on the couch is not always the angle seen by the official.

  • Author

Bottom line for me is I think the way the charge is being called is a negative on the game at all levels. That is why the NBA made the rule change they did and I think more attempts to "fix" it are coming. If I want to watch someone flop around like they got shot at the slightest touch or even no touch, I will start watching professional soccer.

Flop

 

He looked like a fainting goat in that one, I think his eyes even rolled back in his head!!!

I don't know how much NBA you watch but it got really really bad last year. Something had to be done. I haven't seen it in college at the level it was last year in the NBA. It reached soccer level last year.
You don't get Duke games in Danville???

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.