Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Charging / Flopping

Featured Replies

The charging call is a pet peeve of mine and has been for years. The Duke UK game brought it back to the forefront again. I have a simple solution as I posted in the UK Duke game thread. Instruct officials that anytime a player tries to draw a charge, make a call. It is either a charge or a foul on the defender. There should almost never be a no call when a defender hits the floor. If officials started calling foouls on the defense every time they flopped trying to draw a charge, I think it would fix the problem. You wouldn't see defenders falling to the floor at the slightest contact becauser they wouldn't want to get a foul called on them. It is a judgement call anyway so just tell your officials to use their judgment - when the defender flops, is the foul on him or is it a charge - blow the whistle and make the call. Why wouldn't that work?

  • Replies 76
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I wrong, or do officials still have the ability to give a technical to a defender for blatantly flopping on a charge call? I could have sworn that used to be a rule.

 

Just asking...not even referring to the game last night.

While it drives me crazy because I hate Duke, it's very smart strategy. If you can get away with it & it benefits your team, why the heck not?

 

I don't think flopping played any major factor in last night's game, FWIW. Thought they benefited a couple of times in the first half, but they didn't get away with it in the second half.

 

Charge call has been absolutely horrendous across the board for the last couple of years. Thanks to Jay Bilas, the NCAA says they have addressed the problem. I'll believe that when I see it, though.

Am I wrong, or do officials still have the ability to give a technical to a defender for blatantly flopping on a charge call? I could have sworn that used to be a rule.

 

Just asking...not even referring to the game last night.

 

I think that is the new rule in the NBA.

I think that is the new rule in the NBA.

 

Is it? I haven't kept up with it. I could have sworn that was the rule when I used to play high school ball and AAU about a decade ago.

Is it? I haven't kept up with it. I could have sworn that was the rule when I used to play high school ball and AAU about a decade ago.

 

I think so. I'm pretty sure that is rule Calipari was referring to at halftime.

Flop.

[video=youtube;s0upQDkY-pg]

Flop

 

I don't think flopping played any major factor in last night's game, FWIW. Thought they benefited a couple of times in the first half, but they didn't get away with it in the second half.

 

Totally agree.

Yep. Those are flops. Show me some from last night. That's what got this going.

 

 

Greg Paulus is the worst offender. There are some really good ones from him if you keep looking.

Yep. Those are flops. Show me some from last night. That's what got this going.

 

 

Greg Paulus is the worst offender. There are some really good ones from him if you keep looking.

 

Check the ESPN highlights online at around 30 seconds.

 

And I'm pretty sure you claimed Duke was always good at "drawing charges" in the recap thread, so now you're admitting they're at least equally as good and flopping like a dead fish?

Check the ESPN highlights online at around 30 seconds.

 

Flopping on #2 on a Goodwin drive? If it's the same clip...definitely a good example.

Flopping on #2 on a Goodwin drive? If it's the same clip...definitely a good example.

 

Yep. ESPN was even kind enough to highlight him.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.