Harrison County Football

Not that it matters to many, but Harrison County Football has reached an all time low. Very few players on the team and an 0-6 start. On top of that several Seniors QUIT! They quit on themselves, their teammates, their coaches and the school. Why quit when you made the commitment to be there? Quit now and you will always quit when times get rough in other things too. Makes no sense to me at all how parents would encourage quitting and allow quitting. This program is at an all time low and it is not the new Coaches fault. It will take time and some on the field leadership from players who are upperclassmen and not quitters. I don't think Harrison County gave Coach Graham the credit he deserved for keeping the program competitive for years. But the last 2 hires by the administration prior to Coach Carr have been disastrous. Good luck to the young Thorobreds and hang in there because there will be rewarding times to come. To the Senior "Quitters" may you some day grow up!

Perhaps HC should go the route of Pendleton County and play an independent schedule. You can't build a program getting pounded by Cov Cath and Highlands every year.

Didn't Pendleton County just get pounded by CovCath?

Not that it matters to many, but Harrison County Football has reached an all time low. Very few players on the team and an 0-6 start. On top of that several Seniors QUIT! They quit on themselves, their teammates, their coaches and the school. Why quit when you made the commitment to be there? Quit now and you will always quit when times get rough in other things too. Makes no sense to me at all how parents would encourage quitting and allow quitting. This program is at an all time low and it is not the new Coaches fault. It will take time and some on the field leadership from players who are upperclassmen and not quitters. I don't think Harrison County gave Coach Graham the credit he deserved for keeping the program competitive for years. But the last 2 hires by the administration prior to Coach Carr have been disastrous. Good luck to the young Thorobreds and hang in there because there will be rewarding times to come. To the Senior "Quitters" may you some day grow up!

As LN said I thought the kids they did have played hard and never quit. I was impressed with the hard nose running of #35. I believe he got dinged up in the middle of the game and came back in and played hard..Keep your heads up Breds!!:thumb:

I've seen Harrison Co the last two years and I agree with others who said they played with a lot of fight and heart, even though the two games I saw they were outmanned. I thought they were a better team in '11 than they were this year, but they were playing with a new staff, new system, etc.

In your opinion (or anyone else close to the program) what problems have led up to the current low point for HC? What was the problem with the past 2 coaching staffs? What needs to change to get HC turned around in the right direction?

I recall back in 2003 when Knox Central was at their lowest in the process of an 0-10 season, I asked one of the seniors why he continued to put himself through the misery of it all. Why not just quit like so many of his teammates had? I'll never forget what he told me. "I stay for the guy who lines up beside me. As long as I have one teammate who stays, I've got his back."

Many people disrespect a losing football team. I have all the respect in the world for those who tough it out. It's the main reason I'm so against running up the score on weak opponents. In many cases those kids work just as hard as anyone but lose because of weaknesses inside the program.

I was told that Harrison County has some strong classes in middle school. Hopefully, they will not be discouraged and stick with it. I remember the days of Gus Parks and some talented HC teams. It would be great for high school football if they became good again.

I was told that Harrison County has some strong classes in middle school. Hopefully, they will not be discouraged and stick with it. I remember the days of Gus Parks and some talented HC teams. It would be great for high school football if they became good again.

The biggest problem for Harrison County is their district. It will take an astronomical improvement to be able to compete with Highlands and Covington Catholic. Because of that perhaps the best they can reasonably hope for is 3rd place. That probably makes it hard for some kids to get excited. But I agree, it would be nice to see them back to their old ways. Harrison County was always a solid program under Ray Graham - I hope they can find their way back.

Harrison County had some very strong teams, not THAT long ago.

It is very difficult for them to compete in their current district.

Hopefully the kids that have stayed will raise the bar for the younger players coming into the program

and they buy into what the current staff is teaching.

If the players are not buying in, it is a struggle year after year.

Keep working!

The biggest problem for Harrison County is their district. It will take an astronomical improvement to be able to compete with Highlands and Covington Catholic. Because of that perhaps the best they can reasonably hope for is 3rd place. That probably makes it hard for some kids to get excited. But I agree, it would be nice to see them back to their old ways. Harrison County was always a solid program under Ray Graham - I hope they can find their way back.

That is one thing I don't like about today's kids mentality. There are 8 games on the schedule not against Highlands and Cov Cath. They are letting those 2 teams carry over to other games on the schedule that they could be winning.

Aug 18, 12 Sheldon Clark home 13 - 28 (L) Click Thorobred Bowl

Aug 24, 12 Belfry at Belfry/Pikeville 14 - 46 (L) Click Pike County Bowl

Aug 31, 12 Scott County away 6 - 61 (L) Click

Sep 7, 12 Mason County away 22 - 37 (L) Click

Sep 14, 12 Bourbon County home 8 - 51 (L) Click

Sep 28, 12 Highlands home 10 - 69 (L) Click

Oct 5, 12 Holmes home 7:30 PM

Oct 13, 12 Covington Catholic away 1:00 PM

Oct 19, 12 Pendleton County away 7:00 PM

Oct 26, 12 Woodford County home 7:30 PM

I look at this schedule and most of the 'other 8' are pretty tough too. Sheldon Clark, 3A should be a win or competitive and it was. Belfry's only loss to a 5 or 6A Henry Clay and tougher than heck every year. Scott County; 6a and state semi-finalist &/of finalist; should not be on the schedule. Bourbon County; should be competitive but everyone knew they were tough under Poynter and going to be loaded. Should be on schedule just caught them on an upswing when you're on a down-turn. Mason County; solid year in and year out with very good coach. I like seeing them on your schedule and will be a battle most years. Highlands & CovCath; somebody's got to play them. Holmes; they've got some flyers and when they're disciplined; they are tough. Pendleton should be a W year in and year out. Look at their schedule compared to yours. Even Woodford is a 5A. With the district you've got; get out of this one. Find your local rivalry or NKY/Lexington lower level. I clicked on Warren East's schedule. They're listed 2nd in 4A on KHSAA site. No where near the schedule you guys are trying to play. Going back to see who Ray scheduled. Be back soon. Players...DON'T QUIT!!! It's worse than any drug you can take. Each time you quit it gets easier.

2000: 12-1 record. Guessing one of the best teams you had. Very competitive district and compare the non-district to the one you're playing this year. You had a tried and true coach and now your going with less experienced coach. Don't know him so no evaluation by me should be made.

Aug 18, 00 Mercer County at Lincoln County 34 - 0 (W) no Death Valley Bowl ...AA

Aug 25, 00 George Rogers Clark away 35 - 6 (W) no....AAAA ended 5-6

Sep 1 00 Harrodsburg home 54 - 12 (W) no ...1A

Sep 8, 00 Open

Sep 15, 00 Montgomery County away 51 - 0 (W) no (District Game) ...ended 5-6

Sep 22, 00 Franklin County home 43 - 7 (W) no (District Game) ... ended 7-4

Sep 29, 00 Western Hills away 36 - 21 (W) no (District Game) ...ended 7-5

Oct 6, 00 Grant County home 48 - 12 (W) no (District Game) ...ended 3-7

Oct 13, 00 Anderson County away 61 - 6 (W) no (District Game) ...ended 3-8

Oct 20, 00 Bourbon County home 24 - 7 (W) no (District Game) ...ended 7-4(Dudley Hilton coached)

Oct 27, 00 Prestonsburg away 51 - 6 (W) no ...AA

Nov 3, 00 Dixie Heights at Harrison 35 - 21 (W) no Class AAA Tournament ...Dixie ended 5-6

Nov 10, 00 Holmes home 42 - 28 (W) no Class AAA Tournament ...ended 9-3. Holmes' non-district schedule was very light.

Nov 17, 00 Highlands home 7 - 45 (L) no Class AAA Tournament ...somebody's got to play them

Willing to bet this was one of your toughest teams? George Rogers Clark was the only team you played up for and they were mediocre. All other non-districts were lower class.

Let's look at 01 under Ray Graham.

Aug 18, 01 Belfry at Pikeville 12 - 14 (L) no Pike County Bowl ...AA AND they still beat you even one of you're better teams.

Aug 24, 01 Open

Aug 31, 01 Cawood home 48 - 0 (W) no ...AAA ended 3-8

Sep 7, 01 Breathitt County home 28 - 6 (W) no ...AA ended 7-4

Sep 14, 01 Montgomery County home 23 - 7 (W) no ...district game...ended 5-6

Sep 21, 01 Franklin County away 28 - 14 (W) no ...district game...ended 3-7

Sep 28, 01 Western Hills home 49 - 6 (W) no ...district game ended 2-8

Oct 5, 01 Lexington Catholic away 1 - 0 (W) no (forfeit) ...is what it is

Oct 12, 01 Anderson County home 21 - 6 (W) no district game...ended 2-8

Oct 19, 01 Bourbon County away 53 - 0 (W) no ...district game...ended 5-6

Oct 26, 01 East Jessamine away 22 - 18 (W) no ...AAA ended 4-7

Nov 2, 01 Covington Catholic at Harrison Co. 22 - 44 (L) no ...somebody has to play them.

Please rest assured that this is in NO WAY a slam on Ray Graham. Just showing that two of his best teams...and they did beat some quality teams and were competitive with some GREAT programs in these two years; the point being though, he was smart enough to schedule better in the non-district games. Obviously; the district itself was NOT CovCAth and Highlands quality.

2000: 12-1 record. Guessing one of the best teams you had. Very competitive district and compare the non-district to the one you're playing this year. You had a tried and true coach and now your going with less experienced coach. Don't know him so no evaluation by me should be made.

Aug 18, 00 Mercer County at Lincoln County 34 - 0 (W) no Death Valley Bowl ...AA

Aug 25, 00 George Rogers Clark away 35 - 6 (W) no....AAAA ended 5-6

Sep 1 00 Harrodsburg home 54 - 12 (W) no ...1A

Sep 8, 00 Open

Sep 15, 00 Montgomery County away 51 - 0 (W) no (District Game) ...ended 5-6

Sep 22, 00 Franklin County home 43 - 7 (W) no (District Game) ... ended 7-4

Sep 29, 00 Western Hills away 36 - 21 (W) no (District Game) ...ended 7-5

Oct 6, 00 Grant County home 48 - 12 (W) no (District Game) ...ended 3-7

Oct 13, 00 Anderson County away 61 - 6 (W) no (District Game) ...ended 3-8

Oct 20, 00 Bourbon County home 24 - 7 (W) no (District Game) ...ended 7-4(Dudley Hilton coached)

Oct 27, 00 Prestonsburg away 51 - 6 (W) no ...AA

Nov 3, 00 Dixie Heights at Harrison 35 - 21 (W) no Class AAA Tournament ...Dixie ended 5-6

Nov 10, 00 Holmes home 42 - 28 (W) no Class AAA Tournament ...ended 9-3. Holmes' non-district schedule was very light.

Nov 17, 00 Highlands home 7 - 45 (L) no Class AAA Tournament ...somebody's got to play them

Willing to bet this was one of your toughest teams? George Rogers Clark was the only team you played up for and they were mediocre. All other non-districts were lower class.

Let's look at 01 under Ray Graham.

Aug 18, 01 Belfry at Pikeville 12 - 14 (L) no Pike County Bowl ...AA AND they still beat you even one of you're better teams.

Aug 24, 01 Open

Aug 31, 01 Cawood home 48 - 0 (W) no ...AAA ended 3-8

Sep 7, 01 Breathitt County home 28 - 6 (W) no ...AA ended 7-4

Sep 14, 01 Montgomery County home 23 - 7 (W) no ...district game...ended 5-6

Sep 21, 01 Franklin County away 28 - 14 (W) no ...district game...ended 3-7

Sep 28, 01 Western Hills home 49 - 6 (W) no ...district game ended 2-8

Oct 5, 01 Lexington Catholic away 1 - 0 (W) no (forfeit) ...is what it is

Oct 12, 01 Anderson County home 21 - 6 (W) no district game...ended 2-8

Oct 19, 01 Bourbon County away 53 - 0 (W) no ...district game...ended 5-6

Oct 26, 01 East Jessamine away 22 - 18 (W) no ...AAA ended 4-7

Nov 2, 01 Covington Catholic at Harrison Co. 22 - 44 (L) no ...somebody has to play them.

Please rest assured that this is in NO WAY a slam on Ray Graham. Just showing that two of his best teams...and they did beat some quality teams and were competitive with some GREAT programs in these two years; the point being though, he was smart enough to schedule better in the non-district games. Obviously; the district itself was NOT CovCAth and Highlands quality.

The 2000 team had a lot of senior talent...The QB went to Cincinnati, Lineman went to Louisville, Linebacker went to Morehead, WR/K went to Georgetown, Linebacker went to Thomas More