Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"What the hell were we thinking......"????

Featured Replies

Have you ever done something, or put yourself in a situation, that when you look back (a few hours, days, or years) you have that "V8 moment" and say, "what the hell were we thinking, we could have been seriously hurt or even killed".

I was going to post a thread just now about dumb things we do. This one doesn't necessarily fit into the could have been killed category but nonetheless I did a dumb thing yesterday.

 

About 5pm I turned my propane grill on to burn off the grease from where I cooked on it a couple of days ago. I usually do this right after cooking but didn't have time last time. I inteded to let it burn on high for about 15 minutes to turn any grease left over to ash and then turn it off and go on about my business.

 

So I turned on my grill on high, went in the house, got distracted, went to Belfry's football game and then came home and got a good nights sleep. About 9am I thought about the grill and went out to discover of course that I had burned up a whole tank of propane that I just replaced this week. :irked: The grill was still warm but not hot, otherwise everything looked fine.

 

DOH!!!

My faith in God is strengthened by the fact that there are definitely a few dumb things I've done where death should've been the end result.

  • Author

One that I can recall was back in the summer of '83. A group of my friends and I would sometimes in the evening take bike rides all over the Ft. Thomas Highland Heights area. Well one night, after about 11 p.m., a group of 8 of us start our journey out in Ft.Thomas and pedal out N. & S. Ft. Thomas Ave to 27 and thru Highland Heights, and being the "daredevils" that we wre, take 471 all the way to the river and cross the bridge in to Cincy. About this time it's well past midnight and by luck the Reds were in town and this particular night they are in extra innings. We pedal up to the gates and one of the security guards lets us in to watch the game. We stayed a few innings to see the end of the game (forget the outcome), however the clock on the Western-Southern garage said 2:30. Well we decide that we are going to traverse the streets of downtown Cincy and we tour the streets for about a half hour. Then we get the "bright idea" of heading over to the Union Terminal.........looking back, BIG TIME FAIL.

We head up Vine St. to Central Parkway and then to Ezzard Charles and past Taft High School. For those that don't know the West End and Over-the-Rhine areas of Cincy are by no means the place to be during the day, let alone at night, especially for a bunch white kids on bikes. We got a little trouble from those on the streets on our way to the Terminal, however as we were headed back "the poop hit the fan". As we were leaving Union Terminal we had a group of "friendlies" giving us words of encouragement to leave. As we get close to Taft High School we heard two gunshots and people running from all over the place and we continued to get words of encouragement for some "nefarious characters". We pedal as fast as we could till we get to Fountian Square to catch our breath and return to KY. Needless to say that was the last time we ventured across the bridge on bikes.

Lawnboy, about what age were you? I'm thinking too young to be out at 2:30+a.m. If I were your dad, and you were as young as I'm guessing, gunshots in Cincy would have been the least of your worries. :lol:

My faith in God is strengthened by the fact that there are definitely a few dumb things I've done where death should've been the end result.

 

I always think I was a pretty good kid growing up and even as a young adult really not too wild. Then I get with friends and we get to telling stories and reminiscing about old times(not that long ago) and I can't help but think about how stupid some of the crap we did was. It's at that moment that it hits me and I realize when you're a teen or in your early 20's you really do think you're invincible. With that said those years absolute blast.

  • Author
Lawnboy, about what age were you? I'm thinking too young to be out at 2:30+a.m. If I were your dad, and you were as young as I'm guessing, gunshots in Cincy would have been the least of your worries. :lol:

 

:laugh: This was the summer before my senior at NewCath. Trust me if my dad knew what we did, for the matter any of our dad's, it would of been our butts in a sling.

  • Author
I always think I was a pretty good kid growing up and even as a young adult really not too wild. Then I get with friends and we get to telling stories and reminiscing about old times(not that long ago) and I can't help but think about how stupid some of the crap we did was. It's at that moment that it hits me and I realize when you're a teen or in your early 20's you really do think you're invincible. With that said those years absolute blast.

 

SPOT ON!!

Most of my near death experiences (that I know of) were result of me doing stupid things in an automobile.

One evening while in my mid 20's, I attended a party down close to the Licking River in Visalia, KY. The close was very close to the railroad tracks and a John Deere Gator was present. I had a few drinks in me and a group of six which include my future wife took off on the Gator. I drove parallel to the tracks at full speed in complete darkness without any lights. For some unknow reason I decided to brake and luckily for all of us I made a good decision. I just happened to stop about two feet away from a very deep drainage ditch that was at least 15 feet deep and lined with concrete. I think about this quite frequently, I don't know if death would have been certain but I feel like I caught a break that night.

Racing my z28 down route 18. Went around a turn wide and a gravel truck was right there. Closed my eyes. When I opened them I was fine. No wreck. The guy I was racing said I had some crazy driving skills. I have no idea how I didn't die. Guardian angel I guess.

I've had a few thousand such moments. Most of the more serious involved a car and being a teen.

When I was a Pre-teen a group of us would ride our bikes out Ky-8 Mary Ingles Highway from Dayton Ky to California Ky and back . Stupid !!!!

When I was a Pre-teen a group of us would ride our bikes out Ky-8 Mary Ingles Highway from Dayton Ky to California Ky and back . Stupid !!!!

 

Wow! :scared:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.