JCPenney to get rid of check-out counters and clerks

theguru

CEO Ron Johnson said it will remove check-out counters in stores and replace them with a system that won't require clerks. It's all part of an effort to return the department store chain to profitability.

Shoppers will be able to use self check-out machines, similar to those found in grocery stores.

Read more: JCPenney to get rid of check-out counters and clerks, use self check-out machines and RFID chips

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will be the beginning of the end for JCP. Sometimes I don't need help in a store like JCP but more often than not I do. However, I rarely ever need help in a grocery story. Bad move in my opinion.

Agree? Disagree?

I think this will be the beginning of the end for JCP. Sometimes I don't need help in a store like JCP but more often than not I do. However, I rarely ever need help in a grocery story. Bad move in my opinion.

Agree? Disagree?

Considering that you can't order anything online from JCpenny's right now because there system won't allow you to pick colors, seems like typical pennys.

Agree? Disagree?

If they take these clerks from behind the counter and put them on the floor to help shoppers, I think it is smart. You are right about needing help in a Penny's more so than a grocery. But the worst store for getting help is WalMart and they seem to be doing just fine.

Agree? Disagree?

See, I would be just the opposite...especially at the checkout counter. That's because the grocery store and places like Lowe's, I often buy things (produce or nuts/bolts) that are sometimes priced by weight, or by unit but do not have a bar code on them. Not going to find anything like that at Penny's...so checkout would seem to be a breeze.

I can't imagine they won't be doing some test marketing with this before they go national with it. I'd have to assume they'll try this in single stores a few different markets first before they go all-in with this plan.

If you go to the Pennys in florence and you see the construction they have going on, those are for the self scan terminals.

I hate the self scan check outs at Kroger, Walmart, Meijer. The one that puzzles me the most is the "really big super fast amazing checkout machine" at the Hebron Kroger that still takes 4 clerks to get you through the line.

JC Penny is not the same store anymore. Self checkout? That should be fun. When I do shop at Kroger and use self checkout ,there is never a clerk near the area to over ride the purchase if you are over 21. Walmart is really crazy. Four cashiers standing and talking together while we are trying to check out.

Agree? Disagree?

I agree. Most of the time when I go into a JCP type store, it's to buy a gift for someone and I can get pretty lost pretty fast in the women's/miss's departments. Nice to have someone help navigate me in the right direction.

Personally I really prefer to shop at Kohl's these days, but when it came to gift buying at department stores I still prefered JCP because their prices weren't outrageous and their customer service was very good.