June 22, 201214 yr I went to school with a group of kids that were Jehovah Witnesses. They were great kids, but it was always weird when they had to leave the room anytime we did something beyond school work.
June 22, 201214 yr I have heard similar things from people, and I believe it to be true in most cases, but I've not found that to be my experience. I've known quite a few Jehovah's Witnesses through the construction industry, and I've also stopped to talk to let Jehovah's Witnesses that have come to my house to evangelize at least three times that I can remember. All of them were perfectly happy to listen to my beliefs in turn. I will say, there was just one fella who, after listening to my explanation of my beliefs, laughed at how silly they were. I asked what he thought was funny about them, and he started off by saying, "Well first of all, because you wear that cross around your neck. It's a well known fact that Jesus was crucified on a spike." If that's really something he's going to take that big of an issue with, then man, he's out of my league. The JW's have a good number of beliefs that I can't really get my head around. There's the whole "Jesus was crucified on a spike, not a cross" thing, the fact that they don't believe in the Holy Trinity, and the fact that they only believe that 144,000 will be going to heaven (yet they go out and try to recruit more believers). As for the 144,000...I've had a few say "oh, that's not something we believe any more", and a few others try to explain...either way...that's plain odd if you ask me.
June 22, 201214 yr Author Why were you looking to debate? I simply cut them off kindly saying "I'm not interested and good luck." That ends it. Religion is one of my favortie topics to discuss.
June 22, 201214 yr Even though many of us do not subscribe to their beliefs should those of us that call ourselves "Christian" respect them for walking the walk vs just talking the talk that most Christians do? I mean they get out and try to spread the word KNOWING they're going to get a lot of negative responses. We all talk about spreading the word but we rarely do.I have no respect for them when they spread lies, misconceptions and bigotry. Had two sweet looking old ladies come to our door one day. One of them quickly proceeded to hand me a picture of the Pope standing next to Hitler. She accomanied that with some biting, anti-Catholic propoganda and well-rehearsed hate speech. They got a faceful of door. Btw, I have had dealings with Mormon missionaries before and they are nothing like this.
June 22, 201214 yr I must be lucky as I've never run into aggressive ones. I tell them I'm not interested and they go away. Hope I haven't just jinxed myself.
June 23, 201214 yr They've been pretty active the last several weeks. I've had a couple of visits. The first time I took it like a man & pretended to not be home. The second time my daughter was with me & she answered the door. There was a father & his young daughter standing there. The girl had something to read & then they handed me a pamphlet. In the past, I've had lengthy discussions with them. They don't seem to be as gabby now as they used to be.
June 23, 201214 yr I have been visited several times recently. In each case I just let them know that I am a committed Catholic and they always are very nice and respectful and leave without incident. As someone earlier said, I find them to be no different from Christians in their belief that their way is The Way. They are generally nicer and less combative about their discussion as well.
June 23, 201214 yr I have been visited several times recently. In each case I just let them know that I am a committed Catholic and they always are very nice and respectful and leave without incident. As someone earlier said, I find them to be no different from Christians in their belief that their way is The Way. They are generally nicer and less combative about their discussion as well.I guess I was visited by the militant wing.
June 23, 201214 yr I had a couple come to my door a few years ago, and one thing they said that I remember is that the end of time was near. They used several "proofs" as to why this was true, such as that we are having many more earthquakes in the last 100 years than we've had in all history. I told them that was nonsense, that due to modern technology in geology, and other fields of study, that we have more ways of recording and knowing about earthquakes than did people living hundreds of years ago. An earthquake in China in 1500 AD would go unknown by Europeans, and vice versa. I told them that there were no more earthquakes now than there were 2000 years ago, just better technology and records.
June 24, 201214 yr They believe the scripture literally that 144,000 make it. I asked one once how it was decided who was part of the 144 since there has certainly been more than that over time. The response was "that is for Jehovah to decide". I politely said that I prefer better odds.
June 24, 201214 yr I had a couple come to my door a few years ago, and one thing they said that I remember is that the end of time was near. They used several "proofs" as to why this was true, such as that we are having many more earthquakes in the last 100 years than we've had in all history. I told them that was nonsense, that due to modern technology in geology, and other fields of study, that we have more ways of recording and knowing about earthquakes than did people living hundreds of years ago. An earthquake in China in 1500 AD would go unknown by Europeans, and vice versa. I told them that there were no more earthquakes now than there were 2000 years ago, just better technology and records. Charles Russell, who essentially founded the Jehovah's Witnesses, preached that Jesus would return in 1914. Oops... Covington, KY native Frederick Franz, the president of the JW's for a time, preached that Armageddon would take place in 1975. Oops again...
June 25, 201214 yr Even though many of us do not subscribe to their beliefs should those of us that call ourselves "Christian" respect them for walking the walk vs just talking the talk that most Christians do? I mean they get out and try to spread the word KNOWING they're going to get a lot of negative responses. We all talk about spreading the word but we rarely do. I don't disagree but if you politely tell them you don't agree and want them to stop but they don't have they then crossed a line? I've had that happen and in fact lost a friend over it. My friend got comfort from the JW's when his mother died and that's wonderful. He however insisted as part of his new faith that he had to try to get me to see things their way and that he couldn't in good conscience respect my request that he not try to convert me because his faith was correct and mine isn't. I respect everyone's right to believe what they want and they should respect mine. They should also respect my right to not hear about their faith.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.