Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jehovah Witnesses came to my door today.

Featured Replies

I don't disagree but if you politely tell them you don't agree and want them to stop but they don't have they then crossed a line?

 

I've had that happen and in fact lost a friend over it. My friend got comfort from the JW's when his mother died and that's wonderful. He however insisted as part of his new faith that he had to try to get me to see things their way and that he couldn't in good conscience respect my request that he not try to convert me because his faith was correct and mine isn't. I respect everyone's right to believe what they want and they should respect mine. They should also respect my right to not hear about their faith.

 

Friends shouldn't talk about money or politics.

  • Replies 94
  • Views 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even though many of us do not subscribe to their beliefs should those of us that call ourselves "Christian" respect them for walking the walk vs just talking the talk that most Christians do? I mean they get out and try to spread the word KNOWING they're going to get a lot of negative responses. We all talk about spreading the word but we rarely do.

 

They do this. Mormons do it as well I believe. Although not as frequently, I have had LDS members come to my house. Also, the Muslim's devotion...praying 5 times per day, etc. There is something to be said for their devotion, regardless of my view on their doctrine.

They believe the scripture literally that 144,000 make it. I asked one once how it was decided who was part of the 144 since there has certainly been more than that over time. The response was "that is for Jehovah to decide". I politely said that I prefer better odds.

 

Nice.

 

But, don't they also believe that more than the 144,000 get to stay on earth.

 

144,000 go to heave.

The wicked are destroyed.

The rest get to stay on earth, or the new earth (or something like that).

 

I could be wrong, but I thought I read something like that once.

Nice.

 

But, don't they also believe that more than the 144,000 get to stay on earth.

 

144,000 go to heave.

The wicked are destroyed.

The rest get to stay on earth, or the new earth (or something like that).

 

I could be wrong, but I thought I read something like that once.

This is right. They do not believe in hell. All unbelievers will be destroyed, while all believers will be reunited with their ancestors in a paradise on earth. A special 144,000 will go to heaven.

Frankly...I believe in hell. For many years mine was right here on Earth. :D

With only 144,000 allowed in Heaven, wouldn't you keep that a HUGE secret to better your chances?

With only 144,000 allowed in Heaven, wouldn't you keep that a HUGE secret to better your chances?
I'd be going door to door passing out betting slips and liquor. :cool:

And they reference scripture in Jeremiah as justification to forbid the celebration of Christmas for fear of worshiping the tree. Don't celebrate birthdays. It's a cult.

And they reference scripture in Jeremiah as justification to forbid the celebration of Christmas for fear of worshiping the tree. Don't celebrate birthdays. It's a cult.

I agree it has cult-like characteristics, but technically it's not a cult; it's a sect.

And they reference scripture in Jeremiah as justification to forbid the celebration of Christmas for fear of worshiping the tree. Don't celebrate birthdays. It's a cult.

 

They don't worship The Tree? That is messed up.

I agree it has cult-like characteristics, but technically it's not a cult; it's a sect.

Semantics. They haven't partaken in the cyanide Kool-aid or hunkered down in bunkers firing at government officials, but they are a cult.

 

M-W defines it as such: : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

Here's the Wiki definition of a sect:A sect is a group with distinctive religious, political or philosophical beliefs. Although in past it was mostly used to refer to religious groups, it has since expanded and in modern culture can refer to any organization that breaks away from a larger one to follow a different set of rules and principles.

Another interesting belief of theirs is that Jesus died on a stake rather than a cross.

 

I guess that means they don't use the term crucifixion? I wonder if they have a unique term for it.

Here's the Wiki definition of a sect:A sect is a group with distinctive religious, political or philosophical beliefs. Although in past it was mostly used to refer to religious groups, it has since expanded and in modern culture can refer to any organization that breaks away from a larger one to follow a different set of rules and principles.
I'm a religious studies major, and we had a rather lengthy discussion on this subject. So I'm pretty confident that I've got it right this time. I understand that in the modern vernacular, anything that seems strange to us is labeled "a cult." I was just trying to share the technical definition as I understand it. So, let me see if I can translate what the theologian told us -- despite what the "experts" at wiki have to say. :cool:

 

A cult is a religious movement that constitutes a distinct break from other traditions. It typically is led by a single, charismatic leader. It is not just an off-shoot of a traditional faith, but constitutes a clearly distinct faith with its own doctrines and practices. Cults require a conversion experience. They are often isolated -- either physically or by separation from society. They may have apocalyptic beliefs. A sect, on the other hand, is a religion that is derived from another religion and is not a clean break from it. It may not have a charismatic leader.

 

There's a lot of room for debate on any individual faith in question, but weighing all the factors, I think the Jehovah's Witness faith falls within the definiton of a sect, in the strictest sense of the word.

I'm a religious studies major, and we had a rather lengthy discussion on this subject. So I'm pretty confident that I've got it right this time. I understand that in the modern vernacular, anything that seems strange to us is labeled "a cult." I was just trying to share the technical definition as I understand it. So, let me see if I can translate what the theologian told us -- despite what the "experts" at wiki have to say. :cool:

 

A cult is a religious movement that constitutes a distinct break from other traditions. It typically is led by a single, charismatic leader. It is not just an off-shoot of a traditional faith, but constitutes a clearly distinct faith with its own doctrines and practices. Cults require a conversion experience. They are often isolated -- either physically or by separation from society. They may have apocalyptic beliefs. A sect, on the other hand, is a religion that is derived from another religion and is not a clean break from it. It may not have a charismatic leader.

 

There's a lot of room for debate on any individual faith in question, but weighing all the factors, I think the Jehovah's Witness faith falls within the definiton of a sect, in the strictest sense of the word.

 

I agree with your definitions. I differ that they are some sort of offshoot of another religion. I had a girl who worked for me and she and her husband were devout JW's. Not Jews mind you where they revere a true Jehovah. Their views were cloudy as mud the longer they tried to justify and explain them. I'm sure part of that was my bullcrap shield deploying, but what branch of religion they've cleaved from is very cloudy to me. They lack that highway to hell leader perhaps, but I'm not sure what they have morphed into, let alone morphed from.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.