Chapman should start for Reds.

Maybe Aroldis Chapman can start, go six innings, take a breather in the 7th, set himself up in the 8th and save his own win in the 9th. That would answer some questions. Meantime, it’s clearer than ever that the Reds don’t know what to do with their Missile. It’s equally clear that for now, it doesn’t matter.

Start him? That’s why he was hired in January 2010. That’s what he has been groomed to do, theoretically, even as he has done everything but. The Big Man didn’t welcome Chapman into his wallet so the Cuban defector could pitch the 7th and/or 8th innings. Until Sunday, Chapman was the best setup man in the game. Using him that way was like displaying the Hope Diamond in a coal bin.

Chapman won’t be starting anytime soon. Which is wrong.

(And can we please skip the spin regarding the injuries to Bill Bray, Nick Masset and Ryan Madson? If the Cardinals lost half their bullpen, they wouldn’t move Jaime Garcia or Lance Lynn into the coveted and vitally critical 8th-inning role. If the 8th is so important, how come we never saw Roger Clemens setting up?)

“Now pitching the 8th inning for the Dodgers. . . Sandy Koufax.’’

Is there a Setup Man wing in Cooperstown? The award for Best 8th Inning Reliever In Baseball: Who wins that a lot? Think of how much better Atlanta could have been in the 90s, if only Greg Maddux had been the Braves’ 8th-inning guy.

Paul Daugherty: Aroldis Chapman should start for Reds | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

It won't be this season so I guess we'll have to see if he's healthy enough for a winter ball stretch out.
Agreed.

I know it happens from time to time, but I'm not sure it is wise to take a short-reliever and stretch him out during the regular season. I would rather see a team do that in the offseason, when the pitcher has time to refine his throwing program and make preparations for a different role.

Besides, Chapman has been so dominant in the pen that I would hate to mess with success at this moment. Really, the Reds' rotation doesn't have any big-times holes right now, unless something is wrong with Leake.

Maybe Aroldis Chapman can start, go six innings, take a breather in the 7th, set himself up in the 8th and save his own win in the 9th. That would answer some questions. Meantime, it’s clearer than ever that the Reds don’t know what to do with their Missile. It’s equally clear that for now, it doesn’t matter.

Start him? That’s why he was hired in January 2010. That’s what he has been groomed to do, theoretically, even as he has done everything but. The Big Man didn’t welcome Chapman into his wallet so the Cuban defector could pitch the 7th and/or 8th innings. Until Sunday, Chapman was the best setup man in the game. Using him that way was like displaying the Hope Diamond in a coal bin.

Chapman won’t be starting anytime soon. Which is wrong.

(And can we please skip the spin regarding the injuries to Bill Bray, Nick Masset and Ryan Madson? If the Cardinals lost half their bullpen, they wouldn’t move Jaime Garcia or Lance Lynn into the coveted and vitally critical 8th-inning role. If the 8th is so important, how come we never saw Roger Clemens setting up?)

“Now pitching the 8th inning for the Dodgers. . . Sandy Koufax.’’

Is there a Setup Man wing in Cooperstown? The award for Best 8th Inning Reliever In Baseball: Who wins that a lot? Think of how much better Atlanta could have been in the 90s, if only Greg Maddux had been the Braves’ 8th-inning guy.

Paul Daugherty: Aroldis Chapman should start for Reds | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

I could not agree more! A friend and I was talking about this tonight, and mentioned the same thing he did about people like Roger Clemons, Randy Johnson, etc. You didn't see those guys being used as a set up guy or a Closer, unless maybe in the World Series like Randy Johnson did. Yes it is great having a guy like him in the bullpen, but it would be even better having a guy like him as a starter. It is worth at least a shot to see, because you could always move him back to the bullpen. If he does well then your looking at having a great chance of having at least two wins every five days with Cueto and him. Then with Latos and people too, they would win more consistently than they do now and would avoid any real long losing streaks. I don't have the answer for who they would replace him in the bullpen with, but he needs to be starting IMO.

When someone throws that hard, doing it for a long period could damage that arm. I want to see him close. If he's able to keep that arm rested, then nobody will be able to touch him in a one inning scenario.

Kerry Wood averaged 122 pitches per start in his first season with Dusty Baker. Mark Prior averaged 126. It's a tough situation for Dusty.

If Dusty protects Chapman's arm, which it appears he is by using him only in late innings, Reds fans scream for him to start. If Chapman starts, and God forbid, ruins his arm, that's another lost arm to chalk up to Dusty's overusage of his pitchers, joining Wood, Prior, Shawn Estes, and Kirk Rueter.

I have very mixed feelings about it. I can see both sides of the argument. Right now we are a half a game back from the Cardinals and I expect us to take a few games lead here soon. I say we keep him in the pen for now, at least til the offseason (as others have stated).

I'll agree that the Reds should give him a shot in the rotation to see if that's an option. However, if he's in the pen, I hope he's at the end. No matter what you think about his role, you knew yesterday, and more importantly so did the Yankees, that the game was over when the missile stepped on the bump. Lights out.

I'll agree that the Reds should give him a shot in the rotation to see if that's an option. However, if he's in the pen, I hope he's at the end. No matter what you think about his role, you knew yesterday, and more importantly so did the Yankees, that the game was over when the missile stepped on the bump. Lights out.

Why would you want to pigeon-hole your best pitcher into the 9th inning every appearance?

Example: It's the 7th inning, you're winning 2-1 and the opponent has 1st & 3rd, 1 out. You're now saying Chapman (easily the best choice for that situation) isn't available because he's gotta be held out for the 9th inning. That's easily going to be the most crucial two outs of the game and your not allowing yourself to use your best pitcher.

Terrible, terrible decision IMO.

First, don't assume you know what I mean when I say close. I don't think I'd limit him to the 9th. Secondly, if you can't count on Ondrusek or Marshall for those innings, the Reds aren't going to be very good anyway. Third, I said I think he should start. And if he doesn't he needs to nail down games. Bottom line.

Why would you want to pigeon-hole your best pitcher into the 9th inning every appearance?

Example: It's the 7th inning, you're winning 2-1 and the opponent has 1st & 3rd, 1 out. You're now saying Chapman (easily the best choice for that situation) isn't available because he's gotta be held out for the 9th inning. That's easily going to be the most crucial two outs of the game and your not allowing yourself to use your best pitcher.

Terrible, terrible decision IMO.

I agree with your theory on when to use relievers but you have to remember who is calling the shots here. For all the emphasis that the "toothpick" puts on hitters history versus starting pitchers he is a huge creature of habit when it comes to "pigeon holing" his relievers. If you think back to when Cordero was here it was Massett in a certain inning, Rhodes in a certain inning and then Cordero in the 9th. He didn't play the situation except for with Bray versus lefties. I say let the matchup and who is available dictate who you throw. There have been a lot of times when the matchup in the 9th called for a reliever to go back out to maybe get one batter but Dusty would always bring Cordero in to start the 9th.