Running Clock Rule

Per the KHSAA twitter feed, this rule change was approved for 2012-2013:

PROPOSED IMPLEMENTATION FOR KHSAA

Running clock at all levels of competition, grades 9‐12

 One team gains a 35‐point differential over its opponent in the second half.

 The clock shall be stopped only for a charged time‐out, an injury/blood or disqualification, and

administering free throws.

 After reporting a shooting foul, the official will signal the timer to stop the clock. (The timer

shall not stop the clock on all whistles for fouls since some will not be shooting fouls)

 Once the official signals the timer to stop the clock, it will be started on the last missed free

throw or on the throw‐in when its touched

Thoughts?

Great rule.

This might be one of the worst decisions the khsaa has ever made. Kids have to learn how to play. All the khsaa is interested in is how quick they can get a game over with. Grade school, freshman, j.v. and varsity, the game was not meant to be played in a 30 min. time frame. Then you put another tool for officials to make poor decisions about the game because they want to get home quicker. If this is the case then we need to cut the pay for officials.

I know its a different level, but just this year in the ncaa we had two big comeback wins and I also know the lead wasnt quite as much. Ky big comeback vs LSU was 31 I believe, and was a great one. Now on this level, there might not be as many ever to occur but I think the game wasn't set to hurry up and just get it over. If both coaches agree, have it as an option. The way I'm reading the rules if it hits 35 points it doesn't stop? So if a team goes on a 10-0 run and its down to 25 it keeps running? If thats the case just stop the game. Let everyone go home. On the other side, yes there are games where it does need to keep running. Make it an option.

I know its a different level, but just this year in the ncaa we had two big comeback wins and I also know the lead wasnt quite as much. Ky big comeback vs LSU was 31 I believe, and was a great one.

The key difference that makes those comebacks more likely on the collegiate level is time because (2) you would only have 16 minutes or less once the running clock starts and (2) there's no shot clock at this level. The combination of those things leads to far fewer possessions.