Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Running Clock Rule

Featured Replies

I know its a different level, but just this year in the ncaa we had two big comeback wins and I also know the lead wasnt quite as much. Ky big comeback vs LSU was 31 I believe, and was a great one. Now on this level, there might not be as many ever to occur but I think the game wasn't set to hurry up and just get it over. If both coaches agree, have it as an option. The way I'm reading the rules if it hits 35 points it doesn't stop? So if a team goes on a 10-0 run and its down to 25 it keeps running? If thats the case just stop the game. Let everyone go home. On the other side, yes there are games where it does need to keep running. Make it an option.[/

 

How many times has a team come back after trailing by 35 in the second half? I would say the percentage is very low. I've been on both sides and I wanted to get the game over with. Nothing good comes from a beating other than bruises. This might be the best thing the KHSAA has done in years.

I like the rule but it will be interesting to see if it has an effect on individual scoring averages.

From a sportsmanship and logic perspective I like this rule. Personally, I almost never see a game get as lopsided 35 points, but I know it does happen. My point there being, I don't think it will affect many games anyway.

 

Side note I'd like the KHSAA to look at is adding a minute to each quarter of varsity games. Probably never happen, but most high school games end in under 90 minutes now. And some end in 70. Typical high school football games take 2 and half hours to play. Patrons to each are being charged the same, let them get a little more bang for their basketball buck.

 

I think there are other benefits that would come from it as well; bench depth, learning to play in foul trouble (cause more kids will be in foul trouble), and other factors would come into play. It'd be a big change, but I'd be all for it.

I like the rule but it will be interesting to see if it has an effect on individual scoring averages.

 

Hopefully if you are up by 35 your leading scorers are on the pine.

Hopefully if you are up by 35 your leading scorers are on the pine.

 

Maybe, maybe not. If you're up by 33, are your starters in to make it easier to get to a running clock?

Maybe, maybe not. If you're up by 33, are your starters in to make it easier to get to a running clock?

 

It depends on the situation. Too hard to answer that one. I think the better question is do you keep pressing at 30-33 o get to 35.

While the 3pt goal makes the game different, and seldom is a team truly out of it, 35 is the right mark in my opinion. Maybe it will cut down on threads when we are raking teams over the coals for 105-29 type scores.

While the 3pt goal makes the game different, and seldom is a team truly out of it, 35 is the right mark in my opinion. Maybe it will cut down on threads when we are raking teams over the coals for 105-29 type scores.

 

Naw, there will still be an issue or three to rake teams over the coals for.

They have a game for that.

I said Varsity experience. It is hard to get Varsity experience playing the JV game.

I said Varsity experience. It is hard to get Varsity experience playing the JV game.

Really not much of a difference any way. If a team is up by 35 points, the JV players on the floor for the winning team are playing JV level players anyway if the other team is bad enough to be down by 35 points. So it just becomes more JV experience.

 

I like the "mercy" rule too. Now if you want to accomodate for comebacks, let the clock start stopping again if the lead falls to 10 points or less. I don't think it's that big a deal, the proposal has the clock stopping when free throws are shot and usually at the near end of every game free throws are already being shot.

Oddly enough two of the Friday games at Rupp would have had running clocks this past year.

I said Varsity experience. It is hard to get Varsity experience playing the JV game.

I understand your point, but if your team is up 35, what quality of varsity experience are they really getting? Again, it's for the benefit of the -35 team and I think it's a good rule. Nothing good can happen for them at that margin, IMO.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.