April 12, 201214 yr The problem with your logic is that at the other stops on the tour, people are coming from a much larger area than just that county. For example, at the Pikeville stop there will be people coming from dozens of counties nearby Pike County, many of them driving an hour and a half or more, generally on terrible roads. Same goes for Ashland, Owensboro, E'town and Paducah. If you're a fan in Bowling Green, you'll have to drive at least an hour or more to Owensboro. If you're a fan in Somerset, you're going to have to drive at least an hour and a half to Frankfort or Hazard, if not longer. And if you live outside the I-275 loop and it takes you 1:20 to get to Frankfort, you're driving way too slow, or taking a very indirect route. Shouldn't take much more than an hour. UK fans are well-known for the lengths they will go in support of their team. I guess that doesn't apply to those in the northern Kentucky area. Rest assured, if you aren't willing to make the sacrifice, you won't be missed as those sites figure to be crawling with people who've driven more than an hour to rub shoulders with Cal and see the trophy. :thumb: I stopped by the Pikeville stop after work and I couldn't believe the turnout. It was crazy! Never would have imagined that many people, during the middle of the week, during the middle of the work day. Just goes to show the dedication and fandom of BBN.
April 12, 201214 yr The problem with your logic is that at the other stops on the tour, people are coming from a much larger area than just that county. For example, at the Pikeville stop there will be people coming from dozens of counties nearby Pike County, many of them driving an hour and a half or more, generally on terrible roads. Same goes for Ashland, Owensboro, E'town and Paducah. If you're a fan in Bowling Green, you'll have to drive at least an hour or more to Owensboro. If you're a fan in Somerset, you're going to have to drive at least an hour and a half to Frankfort or Hazard, if not longer. And if you live outside the I-275 loop and it takes you 1:20 to get to Frankfort, you're driving way too slow, or taking a very indirect route. Shouldn't take much more than an hour. UK fans are well-known for the lengths they will go in support of their team. I guess that doesn't apply to those in the northern Kentucky area. Rest assured, if you aren't willing to make the sacrifice, you won't be missed as those sites figure to be crawling with people who've driven more than an hour to rub shoulders with Cal and see the trophy. If I'm driving way too slow then you must be driving way too fast because mapquest has the estimated time as 1 hour 24 minutes from my street to Frankfort, KY. But Jim I'm sure you know some short cut that's faster than the expressway. :ohbrother: As for your argument about all of these people driving well over an hour to get to the site well that's because they don't have an expressway any where near them, that's not the case in NKY like I said a few hundred thousand people all within minutes of each other. Poor planning period.
April 13, 201214 yr If I'm driving way too slow then you must be driving way too fast because mapquest has the estimated time as 1 hour 24 minutes from my street to Frankfort, KY. But Jim I'm sure you know some short cut that's faster than the expressway. :ohbrother: As for your argument about all of these people driving well over an hour to get to the site well that's because they don't have an expressway any where near them, that's not the case in NKY like I said a few hundred thousand people all within minutes of each other. Poor planning period. Then what street are you coming from? If it's taking you that freaking long to get to Frankfort from Florence -- which is where I gather you're from, based on your history -- you're going the wrong way. Mapquest has a tendency to direct people to take the interstates, at the expense of quickness. There's other routes to get there quicker, and I'd be happy to show them to you.
April 13, 201214 yr I agree with others who said this was poor planning, and just 1 hour per stop? I would have hoped they would spend a few hours per stop, as well as a few more stops with one being in NKY around Florence and one in Maysville.
April 13, 201214 yr I agree with others who said this was poor planning, and just 1 hour per stop? I would have hoped they would spend a few hours per stop, as well as a few more stops with one being in NKY around Florence and one in Maysville. Drive. Like the folks in Graves County have to. Drive. Like the folks in Bowling Green have to. Drive. Llike the folks in Paintsville had to. Drive. Like the folks in Somerset had to. The world does not revolve around those three little counties up north.
April 13, 201214 yr Then what street are you coming from? If it's taking you that freaking long to get to Frankfort from Florence -- which is where I gather you're from, based on your history -- you're going the wrong way. Mapquest has a tendency to direct people to take the interstates, at the expense of quickness. There's other routes to get there quicker, and I'd be happy to show them to you. My dad lived in Winchester for 7-8 years of my life while I resided in NKY, I know the route. As for your assumptions as to where I live, well you are wrong, while Florence is just out side the I-275 loop I'm actually further south and closer to Frankfort. Try Wynola Drive Independence, KY and show me the route I should be taking with a quicker eta than what I've already said. I don't expect you to respond because it doesn't exist chief. That's why I called it poor planning. I would have been one of those poor folk trucking it in to the City to see the trophy on horrible roads I suppose. :idunno:
April 13, 201214 yr Drive. Like the folks in Graves County have to. Drive. Like the folks in Bowling Green have to. Drive. Llike the folks in Paintsville had to. Drive. Like the folks in Somerset had to. The world does not revolve around those three little counties up north. Drive like Jim does every day hoping a team he likes wins....... But if they don't just keep preaching about driving for teams that do if they don't make it in to your area.....
April 13, 201214 yr Coach Cal receives the Key To The City of Pikeville And there are two typo's on the plaque :ohbrother: .
April 13, 201214 yr Then what street are you coming from? If it's taking you that freaking long to get to Frankfort from Florence -- which is where I gather you're from, based on your history -- you're going the wrong way. Mapquest has a tendency to direct people to take the interstates, at the expense of quickness. There's other routes to get there quicker, and I'd be happy to show them to you. Jim it takes me almost an hour to get to the Capital in Frankfort and I am coming from Dry Ridge, which is even more south than sportsfan41, taking those non interstate quicker roads.
April 13, 201214 yr For those of you Northern Ky folks crying that the trophy didn't make a trip up your way, I hear that the trophy will be making an appearance during Coach Cal's camp up that way later in the year. That makes sense, saves some time and assures more people show up at his camp.
April 13, 201214 yr I've lived more than half my life in NoKy, probably as long as you've been alive, chief. That's my data. Want more? See below. And that's too bad, considering how much Cincinnatians love to look down their noses at you guys much the same way you like to look down your noses at the rest of Kentucky. In many ways, I've found folks in NoKy to be nearly as insular as folks in Eastern Ky, if not more so. I agree. It drives me crazy when people from up here root for Ohio State in football. It drives me crazy when people from Hamilton act like people from Kentucky are all trashy hillbillies. I also agree, there are a ton of arrogant and delusional people up here.
April 13, 201214 yr It amazes me about all the griping that is going on because he is not coming closer to them or they are not staying longer.... What Cal and the coaches are doing is an awesom gesture. The fact that we have people complaining because they don't come close enough or stay long enough is senseless. The time committments they (coaches) make outside their families on a daily basis to give us fans the oppurtunity to watch the best of the best college basketball players and the effort it takes to coach them to a champioship status, and fans are complaining about driving 1.5 hours...unbelievable!
April 13, 201214 yr Do other schools do something similar when they win? It's been a long time since Louisville win so I'm not sure. . But we likely wouldn't risk it. :lol:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.