Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where do they rank?

Featured Replies

I can see 1990, but in my mind, a team has to win the title to be considered among the greats.

 

Actually I kind of put them together in my mind since the starters were practically the same. These great teams kind of all gel into the same ones for my mind:

 

'90 & '91 UNLV

'75 & '76 IU

'91 & '92 Duke

'06 & '07 Florida

'72 & '73 UCLA

'67 & '68 UCLA

'55 & '56 San Francisco

'60 & '61 Ohio State

'61 & '62 Cincy

'48 & '49 Kentucky

 

All of the above would easily make a top 25 or 30 of all-time teams. I wouldn't separate their years to take up two spots cause they were pretty much the same exact squad. The difference for say UNLV and Ohio State is that they won the title in the first year and lost in a large upset in the 2nd one.

  • Replies 108
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a page and a half of him coming around to remembering Anderson and ultimately ranking 1996 UK behind only the Runnin' Rebels of the early 90s.

 

I didn't realize that I was only 1 page into a 4 page thread. My bad.

  • Author
I can see 1990, but in my mind, a team has to win the title to be considered among the greats.

And I meant 1990... Oopsie. But I do think the 1991 team is pretty high on the list. Easily the best team to not win a title.

Easily the best team to not win a title.

 

No question in my mind.

And I meant 1990... Oopsie. But I do think the 1991 team is pretty high on the list. Easily the best team to not win a title.

 

 

I think of IU in '75 as more that title holder. That Hoosier team went 31-0 until UK upset them, they had a 23 point per game winning margin, and 7 or 8 players drafted off the squad in the two years ('75 and '76). Not to mention the team lost 2 key people (Steve Green and John Laskowski) but still steamrolled the NCAA with a 32-0 record in '76 and the title. UNLV had no one out for injury in '91 while IU had Scott May (All-American in '75 and Player of the Year in '76) with a cast on his arm the last three weeks counting the tourney.

 

Just for grins and giggles here are the significant players off the IU team: Scott May, Kent Benson, Quinn Buckner, Bobby Wilkerson, Tom Abernathy, Steve Green, John Laskowski, Wayne Radford.

I'm with you, love the 96' team but think this team has them. Guess you can kind of equal it to the discussions of the dream team vs. 2012 olympic team thread we had on here a little while ago. Basketball has just changed so much since then and with all the athletiscm and ability at every position I think you go with 2012. Terrence Jones could handle Antoine', Davis certaintly handles McCarty, MKG has Delk, DA, or whoever else he has to guard. Just matchup wise I don't see the 96 team getting them. Depth wise they do but as long as that's not a factor 2012 is the best team.

 

Here is the the we need to look at this years UL team, and how that style did make for good games against this years UK team. Only difference is the 96 team is 10 times more talented than this years UL team Pitino coached. The 96 team would press which may not create many turnovers, however everyone of the UK players could play on the outside. Even McCarthy had a good enough outside game to pull Davis out from under the rim. So it's not about just looking at the individual matchups. Its about looking at the style of play, and how the 96 team would be able to spread this years team out, and had shooters everywhere. Honestly I think it is impossible to know who would win, and if they played 10 times they may just split the series.

To me, the '92 Team is one of the best but '91 got "hot" at the right moment and were fortunate that they played a Kansas team rather than the UNC squad in the Final.

 

1991 NCAA

102-73 Northeast Louisiana (15)

85-70 Iowa (7)

81-67 UConn (11)

78-61 St Johns (4)

79-77 UNLV (1)

72-65 Kansas (3)

 

Didn't UNC throttle the Devils in the ACC final 96-74?

 

I just think it's hard to place a team with more than 3 losses in an all-time list. Even if they roll through the NCAA tourney. The whole body of work has to count for something when measuring teams. :thumb:

 

I might add if the bolded were criteria then the '75 KY squad has to be in the discussion with their win over IU who was every bit as unbelievable in their run than UNLV was.

 

Fair enough.

 

 

The specifics of this thread was ESPN era teams so teams before 1985ish don't count. Sorry homey. :D. Trying to keep it modern. :D

I think of IU in '75 as more that title holder. That Hoosier team went 31-0 until UK upset them, they had a 23 point per game winning margin, and 7 or 8 players drafted off the squad in the two years ('75 and '76). Not to mention the team lost 2 key people (Steve Green and John Laskowski) but still steamrolled the NCAA with a 32-0 record in '76 and the title. UNLV had no one out for injury in '91 while IU had Scott May (All-American in '75 and Player of the Year in '76) with a cast on his arm the last three weeks counting the tourney.

 

Just for grins and giggles here are the significant players off the IU team: Scott May, Kent Benson, Quinn Buckner, Bobby Wilkerson, Tom Abernathy, Steve Green, John Laskowski, Wayne Radford.

 

 

I was a 1 year old so my memory is kind of hazy. :D

Beating a team that very possibly would have been considered the best of all time doesn't count for anything? And then proceeding to go on and win the title doesn't count for anything? I understand the point with the 7 losses but for me defeating 1991 UNLV grants you an exception to the rule.

 

It may be an exception for you but then that list reeks of Duke bias. Any list with '91 Duke (7 loss, 2 seed) over '96 Kentucky isn't worth taking serious at all.

  • Author
I think of IU in '75 as more that title holder. That Hoosier team went 31-0 until UK upset them, they had a 23 point per game winning margin, and 7 or 8 players drafted off the squad in the two years ('75 and '76). Not to mention the team lost 2 key people (Steve Green and John Laskowski) but still steamrolled the NCAA with a 32-0 record in '76 and the title. UNLV had no one out for injury in '91 while IU had Scott May (All-American in '75 and Player of the Year in '76) with a cast on his arm the last three weeks counting the tourney.

 

Just for grins and giggles here are the significant players off the IU team: Scott May, Kent Benson, Quinn Buckner, Bobby Wilkerson, Tom Abernathy, Steve Green, John Laskowski, Wayne Radford.

 

I was a 1 year old so my memory is kind of hazy. :D

 

I'm in a similar situation. I was still 18 months from making my debut :D

It may be an exception for you but then that list reeks of Duke bias. Any list with '91 Duke (7 loss, 2 seed) over '96 Kentucky isn't worth taking serious at all.

 

 

Looks like you missed post #97. Let me be more clear. I took 1991 Duke off the list. Carry on.

And for future reference.....

 

 

You guys are smart fellas. You're going to have to present a better argument other than 'your Duke bias discredits you' because the same thing can be said about some of the UK bias seen on here as well. Put your words together, complete a sentence with some facts and you may convince me like Hatz and Randy Parker did. I'm easier than some of you give me credit for. Word up.

And for future reference.....

 

 

You guys are smart fellas. You're going to have to present a better argument other than 'your Duke bias discredits you' because the same thing can be said about some of the UK bias seen on here as well. Put your words together, complete a sentence with some facts and you may convince me like Hatz and Randy Parker did. I'm easier than some of you give me credit for. Word up.

 

I assume you are referring to me and I still stand by my statement (IF your list had stayed the same - I did not read the whole thread). I have seen lists like this put together for a long time by national outlets and never once has '91 Duke been on a list, much less ahead of '96 UK, who is usually in the Top 5. If it is so blatantly obvious that this is this case, then what other than you being a Duke fan would have you rank that team ahead of UK? You are a smart fella too.

I assume you are referring to me and I still stand by my statement (IF your list had stayed the same - I did not read the whole thread). I have seen lists like this put together for a long time by national outlets and never once has '91 Duke been on a list, much less ahead of '96 UK, who is usually in the Top 5. If it is so blatantly obvious that this is this case, then what other than you being a Duke fan would have you rank that team ahead of UK? You are a smart fella too.

 

I include 1991 Duke because I believe they were essentially the same team as the 1992 squad. Since both teams won the title, I lump them together. Same could be said for the two Florida teams from a few years ago.

 

UNLV 1991 was also essentially the same team as 1990, but because they didn't win it, I don't include them.

I include 1991 Duke because I believe they were essentially the same team as the 1992 squad. Since both teams won the title, I lump them together. Same could be said for the two Florida teams from a few years ago.

 

UNLV 1991 was also essentially the same team as 1990, but because they didn't win it, I don't include them.

I get that but if we are truly coming up with a list of best teams of all time, we can't include the year before just because they were the same players. That is certainly not fair to the likes of 2012 Kentucky :lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.