Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where do they rank?

Featured Replies

No. Will Bynum, Jarret Jack, BJ Elder...

 

Wow. Yeah, I distinctly remember not watching that game after UConn beat Duke in the Final Four.

  • Replies 108
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Don't forget the Giant Ginger from Down Under, Luke Schenscher.

 

Totally forgot that guy!

Top 5

 

1996 UK

1990 UNLV

Fab Five

Duke 1992

 

 

 

 

This group should fit in somewhere with those. I realize Fab Five didn't win one but was a team that changed basketball. For the purists who say you have to win one to be considered then maybe replace them with another Duke team from the era (2001?)

 

You have to include the 1991 Duke team that beat the best college basketball I have ever seen in my 37 years of life....1991 UNLV.

Teague> Epps

Delk>Lamb

MKG>Mercer

Jones=Walker(due to the fact that Walker was allergic to defense)

and the deal breaker for me............

 

Davis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pope

 

And who is coming off the bench for 96?

 

Davis and Jones>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prickett

Miller>>>>>>>>>than the guys I can't remember coming off of the bench.

 

That's all I am saying.

 

By the end of the season, the starters for 1996 looked like this:

 

Anthony Epps

Tony Delk

Derek Anderson

Antoine Walker

Walter McCarty

 

Subs that played meaningful minutes:

 

Ron Mercer

Mark Pope

Jeff Sheppard

Allen Edwards

Wayne Turner

 

Jared Prickett red-shirted that year. Nazr Mohammed was still fat & a project. Cameron Mills seldom saw the floor. Oliver Simmons was ugly. Jason Lathrem was a walk-on.

Okay....

 

MKG>McCarty

 

Miller=Mercer

 

I still feel 2012 is better than 1996.

 

I have been told the 1996 celebration was better than the 2012 celebration though. And that's from people who were at both. :lol:

 

I'm with you, love the 96' team but think this team has them. Guess you can kind of equal it to the discussions of the dream team vs. 2012 olympic team thread we had on here a little while ago. Basketball has just changed so much since then and with all the athletiscm and ability at every position I think you go with 2012. Terrence Jones could handle Antoine', Davis certaintly handles McCarty, MKG has Delk, DA, or whoever else he has to guard. Just matchup wise I don't see the 96 team getting them. Depth wise they do but as long as that's not a factor 2012 is the best team.

:lol:

 

That is dreadful. I didn't even remember it was UConn/GaTech. Was Bosh on that team?

 

In that season's defense, part of what made it so horrible was that UConn had Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva and Emeka Okafor that year. It's also easy to forget what an imposing presence, if not a huge talent, Josh Boone was for them in the middle.

I thought 1996 was the season Derek Anderson had to sit out for transferring. I don't recall him being a factor in 1996. I do remember Mercer scoring 20 in the title game if I am not mistaken.

I would take all the repeat champions over this 2012 squad, meaning the 91-92 Duke team & the Florida team from a few years ago. Additionally, I would put 1996 Kentucky & 2009 North Carolina ahead of this 2012 team.

I'm with you, love the 96' team but think this team has them. Guess you can kind of equal it to the discussions of the dream team vs. 2012 olympic team thread we had on here a little while ago. Basketball has just changed so much since then and with all the athletiscm and ability at every position I think you go with 2012. Terrence Jones could handle Antoine', Davis certaintly handles McCarty, MKG has Delk or whoever else he has to guard. Just matchup wise I don't see the 96 team getting them. Depth wise they do but as long as that's not a factor 2012 is the best team.

 

 

This is exactly my thought process.

I thought 1996 was the season Derek Anderson had to sit out for transferring. I don't recall him being a factor in 1996. I do remember Mercer scoring 20 in the title game if I am not mistaken.

 

No, Anderson sat out in 1994-95. He was the starting Small forward on 1995-96. The next year, his senior year, he was leading the team in scoring before tearing his ACL against Auburn.

 

1995-96 Kentucky Wildcats

Teague> Epps

Delk>Lamb

MKG>Mercer

Jones=Walker(due to the fact that Walker was allergic to defense)

and the deal breaker for me............

 

Davis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pope

 

And who is coming off the bench for 96?

 

Davis and Jones>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prickett

Miller>>>>>>>>>than the guys I can't remember coming off of the bench.

 

That's all I am saying.

 

The Starting lineup at the end of the year for the '96 squad was:

 

Epps PG

Delk 2G

Anderson SF/Guard

Walker PF

McCarty Center

 

Bench was: Pope (Center), Mercer (Forward), Turner (PG), Sheppard (2G), Edwards (2G)

 

The difference between '96 and '12 is in the Bench. That's why this team could not "throttle" or "Blowout" teams like the '96 squad did. You have to have depth to do that on a consistant basis so you are wearing the other team out by bringing in a 2nd five that's as good as their 1st five.

 

It's the talent on that bench that separates the '96 team from most and puts them in the rankings of the elite of all time.

 

BTW, the Walker of '96 vs. the NBA Walker are two different players. He played great defense in the NCAA Tourney. Ask Tim Duncan or Marcus Camby that. His double teams with the center were unbelievable.

 

Stats for 1996:

 

Games FG FGA % 3Pt FG 3Pt FGA % FT FTA % Off Def Team Total Reb Asst. St. BS F TO Total Points

Kentucky 36 1198 2461 .487 266 670 .397 630 883 .713 517 886 120 1501 783 435 176 729 554 3292

Opponents 36 885 2135 .415 191 569 .336 536 799 .671 469 820 118 1289 487 256 141 748 799 2497

 

 

Stats for 2012:

 

 

 

Games FG FGA % 3Pt FG 3Pt FGA % FT FTA % Off Def Team Total Reb Asst. St. BS F TO Total Points

Kentucky 40 1096 2248 .488 225 595 .378 678 938 .723 487 1069 111 1556 531 242 344 593 453 3095

Opponents 40 889 2379 .374 219 689 .318 426 614 .694 483 797 135 1281 420 218 133 750 466 2423

 

Schedule for 2011-12

I would take all the repeat champions over this 2012 squad, meaning the 91-92 Duke team & the Florida team from a few years ago. Additionally, I would put 1996 Kentucky & 2009 North Carolina ahead of this 2012 team.

 

I think Davis would handle Hansbrough with ease and MKG would guard Ty Lawson. I give UK12 the advantage everywhere else on the court against the 09 UNC team which is why I chose UK12 over them. That was a really good UNC team though. Anthony Davis is the deciding factor in a lot of my UK12 picks.

Teague> Epps

Delk>Lamb

MKG>Mercer

Jones=Walker(due to the fact that Walker was allergic to defense)

and the deal breaker for me............

 

Davis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pope

 

And who is coming off the bench for 96?

 

Davis and Jones>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prickett

Miller>>>>>>>>>than the guys I can't remember coming off of the bench.

 

That's all I am saying.

 

Derek Anderson if I'm not mistaken started on this team, as did Walter McCarty. Mercer wasn't that big of a contributer on this team, but besides him you had Jeff Shepard, Wayne Turner, Allen Edwards. A lot of people also forget that most of these guys (just like this team) had to give up a lot of their game for the better of the team. I say the 96 team beats the 12 team, but that's just my opinion. The 96 team had to beat a Tim Duncan led Wake Forest team followed by a Marcus Camby led UMASS team. I think they could've gotten the job done against Anthony Davis as well.

The Starting lineup at the end of the year for the '96 squad was:

 

Epps PG

Delk 2G

Anderson SF/Guard

Walker PF

McCarty Center

 

Bench was: Pope (Center), Mercer (Forward), Turner (PG), Sheppard (2G), Edwards (2G)

 

The difference between '96 and '12 is in the Bench. That's why this team could not "throttle" or "Blowout" teams like the '96 squad did. You have to have depth to do that on a consistant basis so you are wearing the other team out by bringing in a 2nd five that's as good as their 1st five.

 

It's the talent on that bench that separates the '96 team from most and puts them in the rankings of the elite of all time.

 

BTW, the Walker of '96 vs. the NBA Walker are two different players. He played great defense in the NCAA Tourney. Ask Tim Duncan or Marcus Camby that. His double teams with the center were unbelievable.

 

Stats for 1996:

 

Games FG FGA % 3Pt FG 3Pt FGA % FT FTA % Off Def Team Total Reb Asst. St. BS F TO Total Points

Kentucky 36 1198 2461 .487 266 670 .397 630 883 .713 517 886 120 1501 783 435 176 729 554 3292

Opponents 36 885 2135 .415 191 569 .336 536 799 .671 469 820 118 1289 487 256 141 748 799 2497

 

 

Stats for 2012:

 

 

 

Games FG FGA % 3Pt FG 3Pt FGA % FT FTA % Off Def Team Total Reb Asst. St. BS F TO Total Points

Kentucky 40 1096 2248 .488 225 595 .378 678 938 .723 487 1069 111 1556 531 242 344 593 453 3095

Opponents 40 889 2379 .374 219 689 .318 426 614 .694 483 797 135 1281 420 218 133 750 466 2423

 

Schedule for 2011-12

 

The 96 team played in much tougher SEC conference and blew teams out by a much higher margin of victory, which as you say, was no doubt due to the depth on the bench. The main thing, in my opinion that seperates the two teams, is that the 96 team was a much, much better 3-point shooting team.

Anthony Davis is the deciding factor in a lot of my UK12 picks.

 

Total game-changer. Really difficult to evaluate what sort of impact he could have had against these other teams. I definitely agree that he could have handled Hansbrough defensively.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.