Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where do they rank?

Featured Replies

My top 5 of the 1990's:

 

1. 1996 Kentucky

2. 1991-92 Duke

3. 1990 UNLV

4. 2006-07 Florida

5. 2009 North Carolina

 

I'd go....

 

 

1. 1990-91 UNLV

2. 1996 UK

2. 1991-1992 Duke

4. 2006-2007 Florida

5. 2012 UK

 

 

That's my revised top 5.

  • Replies 108
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be interesting to see those two teams go at it, but I would ask everyone to consider this. That '96 team would play like UL did versus UK and would have 3x the level of talent.

 

 

The Voice of Reason strikes again. Excellent point. UK 96 would have decimated UL. 96 wins.

As far as starting five goes, I think it's probably the best. But they weren't as deep as some other squads, which is why I give 96 UK & your early 90's Dukies the nod over them.

 

Certainly a fun debate either way.

 

Absolutely.

1990 West Regional Final: UNLV 131 Loyola Marymount 101.

 

That's... incredible. What an era for basketball in the Pacific Time Zone. :lol:

 

That team went on to beat Duke by 30! in the National Championship game. They scored over 100 three times in that tournament.

 

 

 

They were must see tv. Never seen anything like them.

Thank you RP. I knew there were players missing from '96 in the posts above. Where '96 clearly has 2012 beat is depth, but how big a factor is that? The only position that I think '96 clearly beats 2012 is Walker over Jones. They both have shortcomings but I take Walker for the great offensive firepower. Davis obviously wins over McCarty. The other three slots are debateable. I lean towards Delk over Lamb. I lean towards MKG over Anderson because MKG can impact a game in so many ways, but that is a very intriguing comparison because both are great in different ways. I think I take Mercer over Miller. By the end of '96, Mercer was a major force on that team and Miller has had great moments, but I take Mercer. Teague at the end of the year gets a slight nod for me over Epps.

 

It would be interesting to see those two teams go at it, but I would ask everyone to consider this. That '96 team would play like UL did versus UK and would have 3x the level of talent.

 

I think Anthony Epps is perhaps the most underrated player in my lifetime at UK. When the 1995-96 season started, Pitino had Delk at the point, with Anderson at the 2, Mercer the 3, Walker the 4, & McCarty the 5. They lost by 10 points in the second game of the year to Massachusetts. Then Pitino put Epps at the point & brought Mercer off the bench. From that point on, the Cats rolled.

 

But look at the team's margins of victory vs. SEC opponents that year. The team went a perfect 16-0 winning by these numbers:

 

29

30

18

17

32

5 (@ Georgia)

32

14

39

15

13

40

19

31

15

38

 

That's a 24.18 ppg margin of victory in SEC play.

1990 West Regional Final: UNLV 131 Loyola Marymount 101.

 

That's... incredible. What an era for basketball in the Pacific Time Zone. :lol:

 

That team went on to beat Duke by 30! in the National Championship game. They scored over 100 three times in that tournament.

 

I remember that Loyola Marymount game well, b/c I loved the LMU team.

 

UNLV was rolling that year, though they did win by only 2 points in the Sweet 16 vs. Ball State. How crazy is that? That one of the best college teams ever had their toughest tourney game against 12-seeded Ball State? :lol:

I'd go....

 

 

1. 1990-91 UNLV

2. 1996 UK

2. 1991-1992 Duke

4. 2006-2007 Florida

5. 2012 UK

 

 

That's my revised top 5.

 

I think Florida winning back to back is special. However they lost 6 games in '06 and 5 games in '07 and it's hard for me to justify them in a top 5 ranking. To me, the best of all time should only drop 3 at the most. Just my take.

Okay....

 

MKG>McCarty

 

Miller=Mercer

 

I still feel 2012 is better than 1996.

 

I have been told the 1996 celebration was better than the 2012 celebration though. And that's from people who were at both. :lol:

 

You forgot Derrick Anderson. 1996 UK was better than '92 Kentucky and '92 Kentucky was 2.1 secs from being better than '92 Duke. '96 Kentucky had enough to slow down Laetner. They completely eliminated Tim Duncan. They also could run Anderson and Mercer at Grant Hill. Hurley would be a tough match up for Epps.

I'd go....

 

 

1. 1990-91 UNLV

2. 1996 UK

2. 1991-1992 Duke

4. 2006-2007 Florida

5. 2012 UK

 

 

That's my revised top 5.

 

I'm cool with this list although I'm not sure about 06-07 Florida.

 

The way I read your first post was that you had the first group of teams ahead of any of the UK teams.

You forgot Derrick Anderson. 1996 UK was better than '92 Kentucky and '92 Kentucky was 2.1 secs from being better than '92 Duke. '96 Kentucky had enough to slow down Laetner. They completely eliminated Tim Duncan. They also could run Anderson and Mercer at Grant Hill. Hurley would be a tough match up for Epps.

 

There's a page and a half of him coming around to remembering Anderson and ultimately ranking 1996 UK behind only the Runnin' Rebels of the early 90s.

I'd go....

 

 

1. 1990-91 UNLV

2. 1996 UK

2. 1991-1992 Duke

4. 2006-2007 Florida

5. 2012 UK

 

 

That's my revised top 5.

 

Solid list. I think this year's UK team was better than those Florida teams though. Here's my list:

 

1. 1990-91 UNLV

2. 1996 UK

3. 1991-1992 Duke

4. 2012 UK

5. 2009 UNC

 

Granted, I was very young when some of these teams played. I have seen some game highlights and read quite a bit about them though.

I'd go....

 

 

1. 1990-91 UNLV

2. 1996 UK

2. 1991-1992 Duke

4. 2006-2007 Florida

5. 2012 UK

 

 

That's my revised top 5.

 

We're not too far from each other, except you evidently hate UNC worse than I do. :lol:

I'm cool with this list although I'm not sure about 06-07 Florida.

 

The way I read your first post was that you had the first group of teams ahead of any of the UK teams.

 

I think the Florida 06-07/UK12 would be a great debate. I tend to lean towards Floidda simply because it is so hard to repeat but I could be swayed and would love to rank UK12 higher than Florida. Just giving extra credit for winning and repeating is the only reason I have them higher.

We're not too far from each other, except you evidently hate UNC worse than I do. :lol:

 

I do not deny my hatred for UNC. :lol:

 

Davis>Hansbrough and no one on that team to guard Jones and MKG is why I give them the nod.

I do not deny my hatred for UNC. :lol:

 

Davis>Hansbrough and no one on that team to guard Jones and MKG is why I give them the nod.

 

Yeah, I knew that. Was just giving you a hard time. :lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.