Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where do they rank?

Featured Replies

I thought 1996 was the season Derek Anderson had to sit out for transferring. I don't recall him being a factor in 1996. I do remember Mercer scoring 20 in the title game if I am not mistaken.

 

He averaged nearly 10 pts per game and was a defensive stopper. He as second on the team in steals.

  • Replies 108
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, Anderson sat out in 1994-95. He was the starting Small forward on 1995-96. The next year, his senior year, he was leading the team in scoring before tearing his ACL against Auburn.

 

1995-96 Kentucky Wildcats

 

 

Interesting. I slept on DA. I'm still leaning on UK12 though but DA was a player. I remember 97(The Air Pair......worst. nickname. ever) but completely blanked on him being a factor on 96. Makes a difference. I need to rethink this.

The Starting lineup at the end of the year for the '96 squad was:

 

Epps PG

Delk 2G

Anderson SF/Guard

Walker PF

McCarty Center

 

Bench was: Pope (Center), Mercer (Forward), Turner (PG), Sheppard (2G), Edwards (2G)

 

The difference between '96 and '12 is in the Bench. That's why this team could not "throttle" or "Blowout" teams like the '96 squad did. You have to have depth to do that on a consistant basis so you are wearing the other team out by bringing in a 2nd five that's as good as their 1st five.

 

It's the talent on that bench that separates the '96 team from most and puts them in the rankings of the elite of all time.

 

BTW, the Walker of '96 vs. the NBA Walker are two different players. He played great defense in the NCAA Tourney. Ask Tim Duncan or Marcus Camby that. His double teams with the center were unbelievable.

 

Stats for 1996:

 

Games FG FGA % 3Pt FG 3Pt FGA % FT FTA % Off Def Team Total Reb Asst. St. BS F TO Total Points

Kentucky 36 1198 2461 .487 266 670 .397 630 883 .713 517 886 120 1501 783 435 176 729 554 3292

Opponents 36 885 2135 .415 191 569 .336 536 799 .671 469 820 118 1289 487 256 141 748 799 2497

 

 

Stats for 2012:

 

 

 

Games FG FGA % 3Pt FG 3Pt FGA % FT FTA % Off Def Team Total Reb Asst. St. BS F TO Total Points

Kentucky 40 1096 2248 .488 225 595 .378 678 938 .723 487 1069 111 1556 531 242 344 593 453 3095

Opponents 40 889 2379 .374 219 689 .318 426 614 .694 483 797 135 1281 420 218 133 750 466 2423

 

Schedule for 2011-12

 

That sounds like coaching strategy though. Would you really want Toine to double Davis and leave Jones open? Camby nor Duncan had a Terrence Jones or MKG playing beside them.

I think Davis would handle Hansbrough with ease and MKG would guard Ty Lawson. I give UK12 the advantage everywhere else on the court against the 09 UNC team which is why I chose UK12 over them. That was a really good UNC team though. Anthony Davis is the deciding factor in a lot of my UK12 picks.

 

I acknowledge that Davis really is the x-factor in a lot of this. The reason I took 2009 UNC is that they had absolutely no competition in the NCAA Tourney that year. They won their tournament games by the following margins (in order): 43, 14, 21, 12, 14, & 17. It pains me to say it, but I think that was one of the most dominant tournament runs ever.

Derek Anderson if I'm not mistaken started on this team, as did Walter McCarty. Mercer wasn't that big of a contributer on this team, but besides him you had Jeff Shepard, Wayne Turner, Allen Edwards. A lot of people also forget that most of these guys (just like this team) had to give up a lot of their game for the better of the team. I say the 96 team beats the 12 team, but that's just my opinion. The 96 team had to beat a Tim Duncan led Wake Forest team followed by a Marcus Camby led UMASS team. I think they could've gotten the job done against Anthony Davis as well.

 

 

FWIW, Mercer was the 5th leading scorer averaging 8 pts per game. 7th in minutes played.

FWIW, Mercer was the 5th leading scorer averaging 8 pts per game. 7th in minutes played.

 

Was Pope 6th?

Mercer had his coming out party in the Final Four, scoring 9 & 20 en route to earning All-Final Four honors. He really took off the next season.

That sounds like coaching strategy though. Would you really want Toine to double Davis and leave Jones open? Camby nor Duncan had a Terrence Jones or MKG playing beside them.

 

Actually I think the lack of depth and the press of '96, coupled with the 3 pt shooting by the '96 team would be the factors. Your matchups are right on but it's under the assumption that the pace of the game wouldn't bother the '12 Cats. I think they looked tired late in games during the tourney run. Most nights that was against teams that weren't pushing them like the '96 would the length of the court.

Was Pope 6th?

 

Yes. Followed by Epps.

My omission of Derek Anderson is a game changer. Makes me see the argument differently. I think UK12 could handle 96 without Anderson but with Anderson? Shoot....that's a tough one.

 

Teague>Epps

Delk>Lamb

MKG>McCarty

Anderson=Lamb

Jones=Walker

Davis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pope

 

Miller>Mercer

 

96 Bench>>>>>>>>>>>>>12 Bench

 

 

Man......my heart says 12 my head says 96. Daggone Derek Anderson. :lol:

I acknowledge that Davis really is the x-factor in a lot of this. The reason I took 2009 UNC is that they had absolutely no competition in the NCAA Tourney that year. They won their tournament games by the following margins (in order): 43, 14, 21, 12, 14, & 17. It pains me to say it, but I think that was one of the most dominant tournament runs ever.

 

 

It pains me to read it. :lol:

 

 

That team was a really good team and was dominant the whole year. Another case of the best team winning the title.

It pains me to read it. :lol:

 

 

That team was a really good team and was dominant the whole year. Another case of the best team winning the title.

 

:lol: I'm sure it does pain you. I think you & I have a strongly shared disdain for the Tar Heels.

 

But I agree that until this year, that was the last time the prohibitive favorite won the National Championship.

Actually I think the lack of depth and the press of '96, coupled with the 3 pt shooting by the '96 team would be the factors. Your matchups are right on but it's under the assumption that the pace of the game wouldn't bother the '12 Cats. I think they looked tired late in games during the tourney run. Most nights that was against teams that weren't pushing them like the '96 would the length of the court.

 

True. I know Cal has reined the team in at times late in games but with 96's quality bench and tireless play it would be tough for 12 to keep that pace the whole game and be effective late in the game.

I acknowledge that Davis really is the x-factor in a lot of this. The reason I took 2009 UNC is that they had absolutely no competition in the NCAA Tourney that year. They won their tournament games by the following margins (in order): 43, 14, 21, 12, 14, & 17. It pains me to say it, but I think that was one of the most dominant tournament runs ever.

 

That's a 20 pts per game margin.

 

The '96 Cats posted an 21.5 per game margin.

 

The '12 Cats posted an 11.8 per game margin.

Refresh my memory. Who was on the Duke 2001 team?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.