Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where do they rank?

Featured Replies

FWIW, Mercer was the 5th leading scorer averaging 8 pts per game. 7th in minutes played.

 

Yes I should have said not a big of contributer on the 96 team as he was in 97. He did have a heck of a championship game though in 96.

  • Replies 108
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a 20 pts per game margin.

 

The '96 Cats posted an 21.5 per game margin.

 

The '12 Cats posted an 11.8 per game margin.

 

For my money, the 96 squad is the best team I've seen at the collegiate level in my lifetime.

Refresh my memory. Who was on the Duke 2001 team?

 

If I'm not mistaken that was Jason Williams, Chris Duhon, Carlos Boozer and Battier I believe was on that team. Maybe Dunleavy Jr., I can't remember.

Refresh my memory. Who was on the Duke 2001 team?

 

Boozer, Battier, Jason Williams, Dunleavy, Duhon, Reggie Love, Nate James

 

They were tough.

For my money, the 96 squad is the best team I've seen at the collegiate level in my lifetime.

 

I'd feel pretty comfortable pitting the 96 team up against anyone.

Refresh my memory. Who was on the Duke 2001 team?

 

Jason Williams

Nate James

Shane Battier

Mike Dunleavy

Carlos Boozer

Chris Duhon

 

Those were the heavy lifters.

Boozer, Battier, Jason Williams, Dunleavy, Duhon, Reggie Love, Nate James

 

They were tough.

 

2000-01 Tournament margins of victory (in order): 43, 13, 13, 10, 11, 10.

Refresh my memory. Who was on the Duke 2001 team?

 

Jay Williams

Shane Battier

Michael Dunleavy

Carlos Boozer

Nate James

Chris Duhon

Reggie Love

I'd feel pretty comfortable pitting the 96 team up against anyone.

 

Very much agree. :thumb:

For my money, the 96 squad is the best team I've seen at the collegiate level in my lifetime.

 

I've never seen a team better than UNLV in 1990 and 1991. That was a squad.

My top 5 of the 1990's:

 

1. 1996 Kentucky

2. 1991-92 Duke

3. 1990 UNLV

4. 2006-07 Florida

5. 2009 North Carolina

By the end of the season, the starters for 1996 looked like this:

 

Anthony Epps

Tony Delk

Derek Anderson

Antoine Walker

Walter McCarty

 

Subs that played meaningful minutes:

 

Ron Mercer

Mark Pope

Jeff Sheppard

Allen Edwards

Wayne Turner

 

Jared Prickett red-shirted that year. Nazr Mohammed was still fat & a project. Cameron Mills seldom saw the floor. Oliver Simmons was ugly. Jason Lathrem was a walk-on.

 

 

Thank you RP. I knew there were players missing from '96 in the posts above. Where '96 clearly has 2012 beat is depth, but how big a factor is that? The only position that I think '96 clearly beats 2012 is Walker over Jones. They both have shortcomings but I take Walker for the great offensive firepower. Davis obviously wins over McCarty. The other three slots are debateable. I lean towards Delk over Lamb. I lean towards MKG over Anderson because MKG can impact a game in so many ways, but that is a very intriguing comparison because both are great in different ways. I think I take Mercer over Miller. By the end of '96, Mercer was a major force on that team and Miller has had great moments, but I take Mercer. Teague at the end of the year gets a slight nod for me over Epps.

 

It would be interesting to see those two teams go at it, but I would ask everyone to consider this. That '96 team would play like UL did versus UK and would have 3x the level of talent.

I've never seen a team better than UNLV in 1990 and 1991. That was a squad.

 

As far as starting five goes, I think it's probably the best. But they weren't as deep as some other squads, which is why I give 96 UK & your early 90's Dukies the nod over them.

 

Certainly a fun debate either way.

That '96 team would play like UL did versus UK and would have 3x the level of talent.

 

And that is an excellent point. :thumb:

I've never seen a team better than UNLV in 1990 and 1991. That was a squad.

 

1990 West Regional Final: UNLV 131 Loyola Marymount 101.

 

That's... incredible. What an era for basketball in the Pacific Time Zone. :lol:

 

That team went on to beat Duke by 30! in the National Championship game. They scored over 100 three times in that tournament.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.