March 27, 201214 yr Geez.......easy chief. Was just asking a legitimate question. If he is so worthy and overdue, then why isn't he already in? Gotta be bias or rubbed the wrong person/s the wrong way, correct? Roman Empire I am asking this as a serious question..........When Rick Pitino was bringing your beloved CATS back from the brinks of probation and thoroughly did exactly what you are wanting CAL to do........What was your opinion of Coach Pitino then? :confused:
March 27, 201214 yr Roman Empire I am asking this as a serious question..........When Rick Pitino was bringing your beloved CATS back from the brinks of probation and thoroughly did exactly what you are wanting CAL to do........What was your opinion of Coach Pitino then? :confused: I really cannot speak for all UK fans, but from some of the articles I read on the subject, it doesn't matter what he did at UK and for Big Blue Nation, he committed the most egregious sin of accepting a head coaching position at a school which is UKs in-state and biggest non-conference rival. I will also say that my wife is one of the biggest UK fans I know and she still roots for Louisville (even before Pitino took that job) except for when they play the 'Cats.
March 27, 201214 yr I am a huge UK fan... when Pitino first took the U of L job I thought it was pretty low. I actually believe he thought with dull Tubby at the helm he could come in and take the state back over. I believe he over calculated his self worth... With that said, to not think he is a HOF college basketball coach is crazy. I believe he is a top 3 coach of his generation. The man can coach the game and can bring teams together as well as anyone. I love beating him...but I hate that we have to play him in the Final 4 when he has a week to prepare. He is that good!
March 27, 201214 yr Author he committed the most egregious sin of accepting a head coaching position at a school which is UKs in-state and biggest non-conference rival. I never understood this attitude. He was going to return college basketball and supposedly it was down to UL and UNLV. Nevada or Kentucky? What would most people choose? And no other top 10 school was in the market for a coach. Some of his closest friends that followed him to Kentucky never left after he took the Boston job so he still had personal connections to the state.
March 27, 201214 yr Easily a HOFer, we all know that. But what makes it interesting about Pitino are all the questions of what could have been of he and his legacy had remained in Lexington? He talks about making the mistake, but it is interesting to think about the landscape of college basketball and what it may have been had he hung around. His time at UL HAS been a success, yet people somewhat think disappointing when you compare it to his brief run at UK.
March 27, 201214 yr Did you happen to hear the interview with Billy Donovan after the Florida-UL game? He said Rick should be in the Hall and then was asked why he thought he wasn't already in. He wqs being diplomatic but I gleaned that he thought there were people with UK ties who dislike him and are somehow keeping him out. Whether or not any UK people have this kind of power in Hall induction, I don't know.
March 27, 201214 yr Heard some guys on ESPN radio talking about the way Pitino treats people may be a reason he's not in. He can be very brash to say the least. Not a real nice person.
March 27, 201214 yr Heard some guys on ESPN radio talking about the way Pitino treats people may be a reason he's not in. He can be very brash to say the least. Not a real nice person.I am not sure how the Basketball Hall of Fame works compared to that of Pro Football that really has a way of punishing people if they (media) did not like you.
March 27, 201214 yr Heard some guys on ESPN radio talking about the way Pitino treats people may be a reason he's not in. He can be very brash to say the least. Not a real nice person. He's from New York...he's not unique in his brashness. Nor does that make him not a nice person. I mean...you've "met" RockPride, right?
March 27, 201214 yr Heard some guys on ESPN radio talking about the way Pitino treats people may be a reason he's not in. He can be very brash to say the least. Not a real nice person. That shouldn't keep him out.If Robert M Knight can get in with the way he has treated people.Then Pitino should have no problem getting in...:thumb:
March 28, 201214 yr Perhaps Pitino being named in 8 of 64 infractions against the University of Hawaii in an NCAA report from 1977 might have something to do with him not being in the HOF as well. When you've had a hand in putting a school on probation, it does not sit well with the HOF election committee. Just sayin............
March 28, 201214 yr Something that happened as an assistant coach 35 years ago is not going to impact a HOF vote.
March 28, 201214 yr Something that happened as an assistant coach 35 years ago is not going to impact a HOF vote. Why not? Isn't history relevant?
March 28, 201214 yr Why not? Isn't history relevant? It is and should have been relevant in UK's hiring process then too, as that was much closer to the time in question then now...
March 28, 201214 yr It is and should have been relevant in UK's hiring process then too, as that was much closer to the time in question then now... How do you know it wasn't? I'm sure it was discussed. Has nothing to do with that it could be a reason he is not in the HOF.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.