Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pitino and Hall of Fame

Featured Replies

He had one season with a winning record in the NBA. His other 5 years all had sub .500 records. His two playoff appearances garnered a record of 6-7. He took the Celtics down like BCG took UK down. He has had some really nice success in college basketball, but since it's called The Basketball HOF and not the College Basketball HOF, I think the body of work is important. My view is you can't just look at part of his resume and ignore the rest. He definitely has some dark clouds on that bio. Does character count for anything? He suffers in this area as well.

And he is being punished for it. His lack of accomplishments in the NBA come nowhere close to what he has been able to do on the collegiate level. His college success far outweighs that of his pro work. He has done some remarkable things at all stops. UL by comparison has been his least successful stop when you compare to the others. If Jim Boheim can get in, Rick is certainly deserving.

  • Replies 70
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think Cal needs to start worrying, given he was the face of two programs who vacated FF's?

 

I'd be willing to bet Cal would say that he could care less about making the HOF. Now whether he really meant it or not is another question.

Think Cal needs to start worrying, given he was the face of two programs who vacated FF's?

 

As much as you want to bring Cal down and attack him, he has NEVER been named in ANY NCAA investigation. I know that's hard for some to comprehend (haters), but it's fact. Cal had nothing to do with those FF's being vacated and like Dickie V said today, the NCAA was dead wrong in bringing these sanctions. The NCAA visited Memphis on 3 separate occasions and told them that D. Rose was eligible to play basketball. They are the ones who made all of the mistakes, not Cal. The NCAA runs an incompetent organization. Back to the thread topic.............

As much as you want to bring Cal down and attack him, he has NEVER been named in ANY NCAA investigation. I know that's hard for some to comprehend (haters), but it's fact. Cal had nothing to do with those FF's being vacated and like Dickie V said today, the NCAA was dead wrong in bringing these sanctions. The NCAA visited Memphis on 3 separate occasions and told them that D. Rose was eligible to play basketball. They are the ones who made all of the mistakes, not Cal. The NCAA runs an incompetent organization. Back to the thread topic.............

 

I want to bring Cal down???? LMAO. You're the hater attacking a coach and everyone on here knows you would be singing a different tune if he was still in Lexington. I'm asking how you think they take into consideration something that happened as an assistant coach 35 years ago, yet ignore two high profile FF's being vacated under Cal's watch. I thought head coaches were ultimately responsible for their programs? You really think they will consider one of the situations and not the other?

 

Personally, I think they ignore both situations and both coaches will eventually be in the hall. That assumes Cal continues coaching long enough and wins a NC.

I'd be willing to bet Cal would say that he could care less about making the HOF. Now whether he really meant it or not is another question.

 

 

I'll bet he would say it too. I'll bet he really, really wouldn't mean it. Nothing wrong with that but when you're as competitive as these top coaches have to be, you have to want the ultimate recognition.

I want to bring Cal down???? LMAO. You're the hater attacking a coach and everyone on here knows you would be singing a different tune if he was still in Lexington. I'm asking how you think they take into consideration something that happened as an assistant coach 35 years ago, yet ignore two high profile FF's being vacated under Cal's watch. I thought head coaches were ultimately responsible for their programs? You really think they will consider one of the situations and not the other?

 

Personally, I think they ignore both situations and both coaches will eventually be in the hall. That assumes Cal continues coaching long enough and wins a NC.

 

Apples and Oranges. Pitino was NAMED IN 8 INFRACTIONS. Cal has NEVER been named with regard to ever breaking any NCAA rules. Fact.

You take three schools to a Final Four, with one of them being Providence, & that's about all I need to hear. Throw into it multiple FF's at both UK & UL, the national championship...the man deserves HOF. I don't like him, but he deserves to be in.

You take three schools to a Final Four, with one of them being Providence, & that's about all I need to hear. Throw into it multiple FF's at both UK & UL, the national championship...the man deserves HOF. I don't like him, but he deserves to be in.

 

So you only want to look at someone's successes and ignore their mistakes and failures? Seems a bit short sided to me.............

 

Never once did I say he was not deserving. I was just speculating on reasons why he may not be such a slam dunk to get elected. You indeed do mention some big successes in college basketball, but fail to mention his shortcomings (of there are several), which I think is a true depiction of his whole body of work and you certainly ignored his character flaws. Huggins has multiple FF's, more wins and a better win %. He's not in either, right?

So you only want to look at someone's successes and ignore their mistakes and failures? Seems a bit short sided to me.............

 

Never once did I say he was not deserving. I was just speculating on reasons why he may not be such a slam dunk to get elected. You indeed do mention some big successes in college basketball, but fail to mention his shortcomings (of there are several), which I think is a true depiction of his whole body of work and you certainly ignored his character flaws. Huggins has multiple FF's, more wins and a better win %. He's not in either, right?

 

Huggins does not have a higher winning percentage than Pitino. Pitino's is .732, Huggins is .727. Also, Pitino has a championship and 6 Final Fours. Huggins has no championships and 2 Final Fours. More total wins is the only advantage Huggins has over Pitino on his resume.

Huggins does not have a higher winning percentage than Pitino. Pitino's is .732, Huggins is .727. Also, Pitino has a championship and 6 Final Fours. Huggins has no championships and 2 Final Fours. More total wins is the only advantage Huggins has over Pitino on his resume.

 

The chart I looked at had Huggs % higher. Maybe it was after the 2010 season. Do your numbers include this season? That may be the difference.

 

Here is the link showing Huggs with the higher winning %.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_men's_basketball_coaches_with_600_wins

Edited by RomanEmpire

The chart I looked at had Huggs % higher. Maybe it was after the 2010 season. Do your numbers include this season? That may be the difference.

 

Here is the link showing Huggs with the higher winning %.

 

List of college men's basketball coaches with 600 wins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

 

 

The numbers that I used came off of each team's official website. They were going into this season. I added this season's record to them.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.