Tracking Louisville City 2019

Getslow

This morning Louisville City FC made what's likely to be its final signing ahead of the 2019 season, adding a 24th player to the roster. Former University of Louisville midfielder/defender Geoffrey Dee became the second UofL alum to play for Lou City, joining current captain Paolo del Piccolo. City also has UK alums George Davis IV and Napo Matsoso. And then there are the actual local products: Trinity graduates Chris Hubbard (GK, Notre Dame) and Sunny Jane (MF, Maryland) and also Manual High School grad and former IU player Richie Ballard. The local connections continue to grow.

This is far and away the largest roster City has ever had going into a season, giving them much-needed depth in what will be the longest season and busiest schedule USL has ever had, with 34 games stretched across more than seven months, plus potential playoffs and US Open Cup games.

City opens Saturday on the road at North Carolina FC at 4 pm.

I'll miss playing Cincinnati, but this should be a really interesting season. Four new teams in the Eastern Conference alone (Birmingham Legion FC, Memphis 901 FC, Hartford Athletic, Loudon United). Indy XI completely revamped their whole roster. Nashville spent a boatload gearing up for their MLS move. Louisville's old friends in Saint Louis are finally back in the Eastern Conference.

I'm excited. Unfortunately don't play at home for two more weeks.

Looking forward to taking in more City games in person this season.

I'm going to take one long, last look at that weird field at Slugger. It's such a terrible place to watch a game and such a quirky place to play. I'll miss watching opposing players fall down trying to make sudden turns on the turf sections, though. It's always good for some comedy.