State Wrestling Championships start Friday at Alltech Arena

theguru

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 13, 2018

The 55th KHSAA State Wrestling Championships head to Alltech Arena this weekend (Feb. 16-17), starting Friday morning when gates open to the public at 8:30 a.m. The opening session begins with first round matches at 9:30 a.m., continuing through the third round of the championship bracket (bouts 1-616).

The second session begins Saturday morning with third round consolation bracket matches at 9 a.m., continuing through the sixth round consolation bracket matches (bouts 785-812). The medal round session is scheduled to begin with the KWCA awards at 3 p.m. followed by the consolation bracket finals for third, fifth and seventh place. Upon conclusion of the consolation bracket finals, the competitors in the finals will be introduced and the first championship match will commence. Awards will be presented following each bracket final, with the team trophies awarded after the last championship bout.

Tickets to the 2018 KHSAA State Wrestling Championships are available for purchase online, including a discounted $30 all-session pass, and can be pre-ordered at GoFan - The largest high school ticketing solution in the U.S.. Fans planning to attend the wrestling championships should be advised that there is a $5 parking fee at the Kentucky Horse Park.

A complete schedule of events, the official championship program, championship brackets and live scoring can all be found through the links below:

Schedule of events – http://khsaa.org/wrestling/2018/statemeettimetable.pdf

Championship program – KHSAA

Printable brackets – http://khsaa.org/wrestling/2018/wrbrackets.pdf

Live Scoring – Verify Password

A highlight package from the championship finals and awards presentations will be available at KHSAA.org following the event, along with official championship photos.

I wish more people would give wrestling a chance in this state. This is a great event every year, and the KHSAA keeps improving this event every year. If you haven't seen wrestling, you really need to check this out. There are so many 5 ft 8 kids filling up basketball benches across the state that could do well in this sport. And there are plenty of college opportunities to do it at the next level.

Congrats to Union County for another great season and team title. Lots of great careers capped off....Ryan Moore gets his 2nd title, Mason Smith finally grabs one after 4 previous top four finishes. The Ervins of Union County add two more titles and a runner up to the family trophy case.

Looking forward to next season!!

Little Hearsay earned his first trip to state this year and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience (if not the results). I agree that more kids need to give this sport a chance, it is so good for the total character.

It's a harder sell for the parents than the kids. Lots of misconceptions, and of course the fact that KY is a basketball state. Some of my best wrestlers got cut from the middle school basketball team, two of which have gone on to be high school state placers. And I've seen it have an impact on performance in other sports, especially football. The good news for the sport is I've seen many new youth programs start up in my 7 years of involvement with the sport.

Watching a wrestling match go to ultimate overtime to be decided is one of the most exciting, fun things to watch in sports.

I wished Bowling Green area schools offered it. I wrestled in school and think it would be a real benefit to the kids here.

It seems crazy to me that they don't have wrestling in BG. Plenty of schools to compete against in the Western Part of the state, plus an easy trip to Tennessee, where there is decent wrestling. I would think there's more than enough schools and students to support the sport.

It's gotta start with a youth program.

• 2 weeks later...