1A Game of the Week: 1A #3 Hazard at 1A #4 Paintsville

Bac2369

Who wins?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

When thinking about this week's 1A Game of the Week, one word comes to mind, and that word is redemption. Redemption is the act of making up for. Paintsville is looking for redemption after the way last season ended, while Hazard is looking to show that they're still the top (Bull)dog in the eastern half of 1A.

These two teams haven't met many times over the past 10 years. This years game will only be the fourth meeting since 2006. They played twice that year, back in the four class era. Hazard won both matchups by scores of 21-8 and 27-21 (in overtime). These teams met last year in the state semifinals at Hazard, and once again, Hazard come out on top, 20-7. Paintsville's last win against Hazard came on October 14, 2005, and the Tigers won in convincing fashion, 63-27.

Paintsville, in 2017, is led by D-1 West Virginia commit Tyrese Allen. Tyrese has done it all except sell popcorn at halftime. He's the second leading rusher on the team with 343 yards and four touchdowns. Senior Tanner Smith is the team's leading rusher with 449 yards and 8 touchdowns. Dalton Daniels is third on the team with 308 yards and 3 touchdowns in only 4 games. Daniels has been injured since the Pikeville game, but his absence hasn't hurt the Tigers offense. Paintsville's air attack is led by freshman quarterback Jake Hyden, who has thrown for over 400 yards and 5 touchdowns. Jake's favorite targets are Tanner Smith and twin brothers James and Chris Allen. These three have accounted for over 450 yards receiving. Tyrese Allen has also thrown a pass on the season for 49 yards and Tanner Smith has thrown a 23 yard touchdown pass. Tyrese is the leader of the defense, wreaking havoc on almost every play. Christion Keeton and John Phelps are other leaders on the defense as well, tallying up 84 tackles on the season. The defense also has 6 interceptions and 5 fumble recoveries on the season.

Hazard is coming off a big district win last week over rival Pikeville, 38-26. Hazard is led by quarterback Bailey Blair, who has thrown for 693 yards and 3 Touchdowns. Blair's favorite targets are Bryson Parks, Braxton Whitaker, and Skyler Pelfrey. These three young men have accounted for 548 yards and all 3 touchdowns in just 5 games for the Bulldogs. Blair is also the leading rusher on the team with 311 yards and 8 touchdowns. The second leading rusher is Reece Fletcher, who is getting majority of the snaps filling in for injured Cory Smith, who is out for the season with an ACL tear. Reece has rushed for 259 yards and one touchdown on the season. Despite the loss of Cory Smith, Hazard's defense has been its strong point. The defense is led by several seniors in Austin Combs, Kade Holland, Robbie Davidson, and Braxton Whitaker. Junior Andy Baker and Sophomore Reece Fletcher are the leading tacklers on the team, tallying up over 90 in just 5 games. The Bulldogs defense also has 9 interceptions and 5 fumble recoveries on the season as well.

Who wins the 1A Game of the Week? Does Paintsville get its redemption win? Will Hazard get a statement win without Cory Smith?

I hope the attention for this game picks up as the week goes on. This is a HUGE match-up that could serve as a crystal ball for how 1A East is going to shake out. This is likely to be the first of two meetings between these two squads. Raceland, Pikeville, and maybe Williamsburg could have something to say about that before it's all said and done. But right now, the Tigers and Bulldogs look like the clear top 2 in the East.

I hope the attention for this game picks up as the week goes on. This is a HUGE match-up that could serve as a crystal ball for how 1A East is going to shake out. This is likely to be the first of two meetings between these two squads. Raceland, Pikeville, and maybe Williamsburg could have something to say about that before it's all said and done. But right now, the Tigers and Bulldogs look like the clear top 2 in the East.

I do wish these threads would pick up. Hazard is still progressing on offense without Cory Smith. The defense will be the key in this game if Hazard is to win. I felt like Paintsville would win this game before the season started and that was with a fully healthy team instead of a depleted hazard team with several injuries. So the odds are in heavy favorite for Paintsville. Paintsville has played one team that was similar and equal match to them and it was a thriller and they come up on the losing end. I shall be in attendance to watch and get a good assessment on both teams. But I do believe the winner of this game does not win again IF these teams meet again.

The poll is going about how I expected it to with Paintsville getting the votes. My comment is the same as it is almost anytime Hazard is involved in a big game - never underestimate the Bulldogs.

I will agree with that. I myself didn't expect a win last year versus Paintsville but I was wrong. But this game really doesn't mean crap. It's just a bragging rights game. If Hazard wins I won't be shocked but I don't expect it. But a little reminder Hazard started peaking after the Pikeville game last year.