Kentucky Relays

The Kentucky Relays were held at UK yesterday. What a beautiful day for a track meet.

The Kentucky Relays, for those who don't know, is a combined college and high school meet co-hosted by UK track and field and Tates Creek High School. Its a great opportunity for the high school kids to meet and mingle with the college athletes and get a little exposure to college coaches and the atmosphere of a college meet.

With the beautiful weather the high school athletes had a great opportunity to showcase their talents and there were 11 performances that reached the national elite level.

HS Girls

One Mile Run 5:10.02 Mckenzie Pfeifer McAuley High School

Shot Put 37-5.25 Halee Hudson Scott County

HS Boys

100 Meter Dash 10.78 William Allen Paul Dunbar

100 Meter Dash 10.79 DeQuan Robinson Henry Clay

4x200 Meter Relay 1:27.08 Henry Clay

4x400 Meter Relay 3:21.46 Henry Clay

4x800 Meter Relay 7:57.83 Paul Dunbar

High Jump 6-8 Tequan Claitt Bryan Station

High Jump 6-10 Jaron Brooks Henry Clay

One Mile Run 4:18.20 Ben Young Tates Creek

Shot Put 53-7 Landon Young Lafayette

One thing to note. Ben Young of Tates Creek put in that 4:18 mile less than 24 hours after running a 4:14 in The Kentucky Dream Mile in Louisville the night before.

Bryan Station won the girls title and Tates Creek took home the boys trophy.

Congratulations to all the high school athletes for great performances and a very entertaining day at the track.

full results can be found here. Kentucky Relays

^Great post LexVegas and welcome to bgp. Weather and atmosphere were "elite" as well. A big thank you to the event directors, staff, and volunteers who rolled out the UK welcome wagon well.

This was a great experience for fans and hs athletes to witness the next level of competition. And to combine hs and college events so seamlessly speaks to the organization and professionalism of those involved.

I'm a Dixie Heights guy so I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the performance of Peter Fields, Cameron Barrett, Miles Payne, and Austin Stacy who won the 4x100 relay against very good competition. Although not a national elite performance, it was "elite" to our neck of the woods...:) They are closing in on the Dixie Heights record which is what they are targeting along with good trips at regional and state. Miles also finished 2nd in the 110 hurdle.

Watching the hammer throw and javelin was a blast accompanied by the great sportmanship I witnessed amongst both HS and College athletes throughout the day. :thumb: I'd encourage all who enjoy track and field whether you have an athlete involved or not in the state tournament to mark your calendars for 5/23 and attend the meet at UK. If you haven't experienced the confines of UKs sports complex you are missing out.

The level of competition will be through the roof. Have a great rest of the weekend!