Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The_Generals_Soldier

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by The_Generals_Soldier

  1. I've heard the same story about someone at the "top," unfortunately for the Boyd County faithful; I don't see a proud return of this once great program anytime soon. It really is a shame that a school that is the largest in the 16th Region can't be competitive. I am not sure about Wooten be the man for the job, but as they say sometimes a coach needs a year or so to get his program in order.
  2. Just stand in one of the concourses at Rupp this week or better yet at the Hyatt Bar and you can see some jobs being brokered and some deals going down. The rumors floating around and watching the coaching carousel move is one of the best parts of the "Sweet 16."
  3. An NBA and official NCAA (college) court is 94 ft long and 50 ft wide. A High School court is 84 ft long and 50 ft wide. A Junior High court is suppose to be 74 ft long and 42 ft wide in some states.
  4. Just getting the opportunity to walk on Rupp's floor finally as a Senior, after being so close so many times. Every kids dream in KY is to just be a part of the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen, and in 1997 that dream was realized for us at Greenup County. We won our first game over Perry County Central, and fell by 3 points to Highlands in the Quarterfinals after trailing big early. Highlands went on to Finals and lost to Lou. Eastern. What hurt more than anything was we had beat pretty much the same Eastern team, the year before in an invitational tournament at Marion County and Highland's beat Paintsville, whose players we played against a great deal in the summers. When you get there sometimes you feel overwhelmed, like you don't belong, but looking back we did belong there and really were close to doing something extra special. Memories are great and something that can never be taken away from you.
  5. I don't know all about that in the 80's and 90's Boyd County, Ashland, and Greenup County were pretty dominant teams, who gave plenty of competition to teams not only in the 10th Region, but plenty of others across the state. It is true that the 16th Region as a whole since the 2000's started has not had a dominant team except for Elliott, but traditionally I would not say that the 10th has always been superior. But back to the topic at hand, I believe Troy Lee would be an excellent choice, but for Fleming it seems hard to keep the talent from moving elsewhere. Right now Fleming is a hard sell for anyone.
  6. Greenup County Coach: Randy Ward Player(s): Mike Scott, Steve Skaggs, Jim Tackett
  7. I don't know about Spencer, I thought that he was named MVP of Region Tournament his Sr. year, hard to call a guy underrated when he is an All-Tournament Selection or MVP.
  8. I agree I'd play the big boy (Messer) as long as he was able to breath. He was nearly unstoppable against Raceland, but Wooten didn't even play him until late in the 1st quarter. This kid should not only be starting for the Lions, but finishing games as well.
  9. Here is a couple of Links to the story about the game: http://www.dailyindependent.com/localsports/local_story_362234111.html http://www.irontontribune.com/news/2008/dec/27/wildcats-edge-hornets-win-tournament/
  10. Final from the Championship game of "The Dr. Richard E. Paulus Heart of Champions Tournament." All-Tournament Team Menifee County: Blake Prewitt (MVP) Blake Greene Patrick Greene Cody Peck Coal Grove, Ohio: Evan Ferguson Eric Edens Devin Monnier Raceland: Tyler Boyles Cody Barker Boyd County: Trevor Hall
  11. One of my favorites at Greenup County was Jared "Sumo" Plummer. Undersized in height to play the post (about 6'2") at the next level, but was a great compliment to an All-State center in Jimmy Tackett. If you ever received a screen from this kid you remember it for the rest of your life. I remember one night at Lewis County he was matched up on near 7 footer Billy Howell and with an array of post moves put the big center in foul trouble in the 1st quarter.
  12. BC could not stop CG's point guard all-night, he penetrated at will. The score could've been a lot worse, as CG substituted liberally from about mid-way through the 4th quarter. Good Luck to CG in the championship game of The Heart of Champions Tournament tomorrow night against Menifee County.
  13. Ashland: Larry Conley, Marty Thomas, Harold Sargent Boyd County: Frank Lee, Tyler Zornes, Junebug Rakes Fairview: Jeff Hall Rose Hill: OJ Mayo, Marquis Dawson, Bill Walker Greenup County: Mike Scott, Jimmy Tackett, Steve Skaggs
  14. As a coach no matter what your preference in style, you have to look yourself in the mirror and realize that you have to play to your teams strength. For Boyd ripping up and down the floor and pressing doesn't seem to be the answer right now....I'd hope that Coach Wooten can look at this game as a lesson and can change a little. Sometimes your own worst enemy as a coach can be yourself. Coach Wooten may be able to play this style in time just not now.
  15. The elementary is there for now, but it will soon be closed down as the kids at Mullins will be moving into a new facility, I have a cousin who teaches at Mullins Elem. and several family members who were once proud Mullins High Tigers.
  16. I must agree its always who finishes. Getting hung up on who starts is an issue reserved for parents or bitter fans. I think 21 that coming "out late" is not the issue as Craft is a solid player and he will get more than his fair shake of minutes.
  17. Can't always agree on all topics 21, kinda like a old man once told me once. "If we were all alike we'd all be married to the same type of woman. What a boring and messed up world that would be."
  18. I can understand that, but if surrounds himself with some younger talented position coaches I think it can work. Conley could set the foundation for the program and have his successor on board who could step in to countinue the forthcoming success. I've seen this work other places and I would hope this could work at GC.
  19. It could be, but if he surrounds himself with a good staff it may not be as big a factor as one may think. Herb has plenty of contacts, I am sure he would bring in plenty of "youngblood" as well. Good luck in the search, but Conley certainly intrigues me as a choice.
  20. Is age truly a factor, or are you just wondering??? I don't know how old Conley is, if someone knows fill us in.
  21. Absolutely a solid choice for the next GC coach if they can snag a stellar coach like Conley on top of all of this he is a great person. Conley would instantly give the program a ton of class and would earn GC some much needed respect from fellow coaches, players, and programs as a whole.
  22. The guys at the Independent are severely understaffed and covering local sporting events is becoming increasingly more difficult. This is the nature of smaller newspapers, as the trend is to cut staff and try to streamline sports and news for that matter as much as possible. The economy has hit these small town papers especially hard. I remember a time when The Independent ran a sports section with 5 writers and a couple of part-time or stringers every night, but those days are long gone. So in that case I believe that all area teams should pitch in and do what they can to call in scores and give info, there will be someone at the paper willing to take down any and all info I'm sure. Take it from me the hours that some of these guys spend covering our local athletes is amazing and we should be appreciative of what our local paper is able to produce with as small a staff as they have.
  23. The bottomline is that many at GC always blamed the downfall of the football program on the success of the basketball program under the leadership of Ward. The reality is that its been more about a lack of discipline and leadership. Some of the best talent on the gridiron was spoiled under the leadership of Bill Baldridge at GC, who never seemed to be able to control his troops. The inmates all too often ruled the assylum that was GC football. However when Gary McPeek took over and then TJ Maynard, more discipline equalled more wins (Three straight District Titles). Don't blame the success of one for the downfall of another. GC basketball is in goodhands, now hope that the same can be said for the Football program soon.
  24. To me it sounds as though sour grapes are still just as sour for you as they were 10 years or more. Get over all the negativity and just support GC sports whether it be on the gridiron or hardwood. I no longer have a dog in this fight I just know that GC basketball was once considered to be a contender year in year out and now its not, but I believe that Fraley is the man to lead GC back to were it needs to be. It really is amazing looking back that Ward was able to survive 20 years of all of this nonsense. Best Wishes to GC hoops. Now I see why I stay away from this nonsense.
  25. Yeah footballers were punished under Ward, yeah right. Just ask players like Daniel Kitchen, Duke Haywood, Jerry Lucas, etc.. all football standouts who starred on the hardwood for the Musketeers as well under the leadership of Ward. If you were good enough to play you played under Coach Ward, as I'm sure it will be under Fraley. It never ceases to amaze me that so many football supporters were always blaming the success of basketball for its downfall, get over it and stay in the present. Don't judge Fraley just because of his connection to Ward and judge him for what he does from here on out.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.