Everything posted by Spartandad
-
Woodford County 51 West Jessamine 16
Is Woodford more of a passing team, or do they just run the ball? Looks like South Warren and WC are on a collision course for the 4th round.
-
South Warren 28 Bowling Green 3
BG played hard and they do have a great defense. I totally agree about the momentum thing. Near the end of the 2nd quarter, every South fan was starting to believe that BG was going to knock us out of the playoffs again, until that last second TD pass. Once South scored, the momentum shifted and it was an entirely different game. South is capable of going all the way, but they have to do a lot better on offense. They had three nice drives the 1st quarter and failed to score. The offensive line allowed Veltcamp to get sacked and throw under pressure way too much. The defensive secondary has to step up some too and not allow any big passes. BG will be back next year, improved and looking for payback.
-
Bowling Green at South Warren Predictions/Updates
I'm going to agree that BG is a top 10 team in 5A. Maxpreps currently has them ranked 7th in the state, ahead of Scott County and just behind Covington Catholic. I would say that's a pretty accurate assessment. I'm personally much more worried about the BG game than round 3, which should be South Oldham.
-
Bowling Green at South Warren Predictions/Updates
It's almost always parents volunteering to cover the duty. This year's guy is different than last year. And yes, expect the same announcer to be back for this game.
-
Linebackers in Kentucky
I think it would be tough to find a better linebacker than South Warren's Luke Burton. He's been the leading tackler on one of the best Defenses in the state for 2, maybe 3 years. He started as a Freshman on the state championship game (30 defense). He has been 1st team All Sky conference for 2 years. Extremely athletic kid who hits as hard as anyone out there. It's not unusual to seem him get a pick 6. He successfully runs and catches the ball on offense too. South definitely would not be nearly as good without him on the team. It doesn't look like he's updated his Hudl much this year, but here's the link to his junior season. http://www.hudl.com/v/2EjvKc
-
Bowling Green at South Warren Predictions/Updates
I think you are probably correct. If South is going to win another title, this has to be the year. The Spartans are loaded with talented seniors and don't have as much in the pipeline as what BG does. The Purples will be much more competitive against South next year.
-
Bowling Green at South Warren Predictions/Updates
I'm obviously pulling for South on this one. However, I know from painful experience that Bowling Green can always spoil a playoff run for the Spartans. I do think that BG has been playing better than when the two first met. In contrast, South has regressed slightly since the first meeting. However, South will have Conyers back for this game. He'll provide a little more offensive explosiveness and an improved secondary for South. We'll see if the Spartans can get fired up for Friday. I think there are 2 keys for BG to win. The first is to be successful in their passing game. South will shut down the run, but may give up the pass, particularly short, quick ones. The other key is to successfully pressure Veltcamp. If the Spartan's QB doesn't have time to throw, then you will probably see a lot of turnovers. In my opinion, this will be a tougher game for both BG and South than round 3. Perhaps even tougher than round 4 of the playoffs.
-
South Oldham 50 Jeffersontown 6
I haven't watched any South Oldham, but their scores and record looks great. Is this team under-rated?
-
Scott County vs. Great Crossing Predictions/Updates
I haven't necessarily seen that much from GC to impress me. I would say that SC hasn't done much this year either. I just don't think there's much difference between the teams.
-
Scott County vs. Great Crossing Predictions/Updates
I think we might see an upset here. I'm not sure that Scott County is as good as advertised. Great Crossing definitely has a chance to pull this one off.
-
Christian County at South Warren Predictions/Updates
I agree completely. One thing is for sure, between South and BG, it is completely unpredictable who will advance out of the 2nd round of playoffs every year. Yes, South has the advantage this year, but they probably did last year as well and we know what happened there. I believe that Bowling Green will offer a bigger challenge than anybody else in the playoffs until the state tournament. I think BG is severely underrated. After FD got destroyed by Boyle last week, I would probably estimate BG should be ranked closer to 4 or 5 overall in 5A based on how well they did against Boyle. I would also move FD out of the top 3.
-
Christian County at South Warren Predictions/Updates
There's little doubt that South is going to win this one. The real question is if South will get back to the same level of intensity that they had when they played Bowling Green earlier this season. I think that was probably the pinnacle of South's play so far this year. They were able to hold BG's offense to 58 total yards. After Bowling Green, the Spartans have gone into each game with the mindset that it's going to be an easy win. They easily beat McCracken the week following Bowling Green, allowing only 47 total yards of offense and that was with the JV in for most of the 2nd half. However, they only had 3 tackles for loss and no sacks. The next week they decided to take it easy against Christian County and lacked the focus that they usually possess. They won, but let Christian County have more success than they had seen against almost any opponent this season. They held Greenwood to 16 rushing yards, but didn't press the pass coverage. They only allowed 3 points out of Logan county, but gave up some big plays. If South can't get back to the same level of intensity that they had in week 6, then they are going to struggle in the 2nd round of the playoffs when they most likely face a very hungry and talented Bowling Green team.
-
Frederick Douglass Football Program
Actually, I do think that. D1 coaches have told me that. Recruiters have told me that.. If a kid is too small, he won't get an offer, regardless of his talent. Often a coach will extend an offer because of a kid's size as long as he's decently talented. I've seen players that have done nothing during a season, but performed amazing at camps and been offered based solely on that.
-
Frederick Douglass Football Program
You must be watching a lot of different games than me. I know for a fact that D1 players get outplayed often. I know for a fact that D1 players don't have the best stats. There are plenty of non D1 players that I would choose to have on my team before I picked the guy with the offer.
-
South Oldham 26 Central Hardin 6
That's pretty impressive. South Oldham might be a big 5A sleeper.
-
Frederick Douglass Football Program
One thing that is for sure, kids that get D1 scholarships are not always the best players. They are players that have the most potential to do well at the college level. There are tons of kids playing in Kentucky that put D1 players to shame on the field, yet don't get any big offers. So just because FD is loaded with D1 talent doesn't necessarily mean they're the most talented or the best coached.
-
South Warren 41 Logan County 3
South easily won this game, as expected. Willingham was back in play as well as Conyers. Both made some excellent catches and showed their athleticism. Even though South dominated the entire game, they honestly looked a little sloppy. The last 3 games they've played, it seems like they have regressed a some. The boys are playing down to the level of their competition instead of at a consistently high level. They tend to give up some big plays on Defense and rely on big plays while on offense. Logan County got into the red zone a few times and South's D did a great job of holding them. While the offense was able to make at least 4 30+ yard passing plays and didn't dominate the line of scrimmage run blocking. I do have some concerns with South's O-line and their secondary. Both of them lag behind the rest of the team. They are no where close to the 2018 team that won state. However, i think they still have a good chance to make it deep into the playoffs. I don't think there's any dominant teams in 5A this year.
-
Boyle County 34 Frederick Douglass 7
Well, this is great news for all the other teams in 5A. Everyone thought that FD was going to be unstoppable. Now that they've finally played some real competition, we know that's not true. Bowling Green had more success at Boyle than FD did at home. FD shouldn't even be ranked in the top 5 teams in 5A anymore. To me, the only contenders for 5A state champ are now Woodford, South Warren and Owensboro. Unless there is a surprise upset by a team like Bowling Green or Southwestern.
-
BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings 10/25
I think the top 4 teams all have very unique, different styles of play. They all have playmakers as well. I agree that Glasgow and Franklin county are both pretty good wins for Woodford. Until we see the outcome of FD vs Boyle, I think all 4 have a good chance for the title.
-
BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings 10/25
I don't know that anyone really knows the true gap between any of the top 4 teams. None of them have played and beaten any competitive teams in Kentucky this season. The only team that will be playing a top tier team at all before the playoffs is Frederick Douglas, who plays Boyle on Friday. If FD overwhelms Boyle, then I think they are the clear front runner for Class 5A champ, with nobody close. If Boyle beats FD, then I think any of the top 4 teams has a chance to be state champs. Traditionally, SW and Owensboro are pretty close. I would say that this season they are as well.
-
South Warren at Logan County Predictions/Updates
I agree that CC is weak this year. I am also not surprised that Logan County beat them. However, I am surprised how many points LC's offense put up compared to other teams we know. Greenwood scored 39, South Warren 51, Bowling Green 37. So on paper, it does look like LC has a pretty powerful offense. However, I went back to that game and looked at the actual stats. Their offensive success was really a function of their defense. They had 3 interceptions and 3 forced fumbles. The offense did not have to travel very far to score. I'm still saying that it will probably be 45-7 for the final.
-
South Warren at Logan County Predictions/Updates
South has been nursing some injuries lately. Willingham, one of their better receivers, went out with a shoulder injury during the Christian County game. Not sure if he'll be back or not. Conyers has been out almost the entire season. However, look for South to bring him back this week so he has at least one game in prior to the playoffs. The very talented Dervisevic (kicker, returner and receiver) had a severe ankle sprain during the Greenwood game. I wouldn't expect him to play this week. Expect South to do a few 2 point conversions instead of extra points if that holds true. I don't believe that Logan County's offense will be nearly as productive as Greenwood's was last week. I also would expect that South doesn't put the 2nd string guys in this week before there's a running clock, like they did last week. The Greenwood game was senior night, so Smith took advantage and played a lot of the non-starting seniors earlier throughout the night. With all that said, I would think we should expect the halftime score to be around 38-0. Logan county will probably score in the 2nd half, as will South's JV. Final South 45 - Logan - 7 You never know though. I was surprised to see that Logan put up 49 against Christian County. CC doesn't have a great defense, but 7 scores is pretty impressive regardless of who you're playing against. They might have a few surprises for South.
-
Boyle County at Frederick Douglass Predictions/Updates
I think this is going to be a very interesting game. It should be close. Frederick Douglas has been destroying virtually every team that they have faced this year. On paper, they look amazing. The only problem with that is that they haven't played anybody at all. Their schedule is very weak. The most challenging team they have faced is Bryan's Station, winning that 27-14, definitely not a blow out. BS, although being 8-1, is not a very talented team. I would put them about top 3 in 3A. They would probably be the 5th or 6th best team in 5A. That is based upon who they have played and how well they have done. Boyle will be a completely different challenge for FD. FD has never faced a team this good. Boyle blanked Bowling Green 31-0. I know BG isn't that great this year, but they are arguably better than any team that FD has played, besides Bryan's Station. Boyle's only loss has been to Lexington Christian, who is undoubtedly better than FD. I will give FD a slight edge though. Both FD and Boyle played Tates Creek early. Boyle won 31-6, while FD won 51-0. It's hard to use that as a completely accurate barometer, but it definitely leans toward FD. This game is a great indicator of things to come. If FD blows out Boyle, which some people believe will happen, then you might as well give them the 5A state championship. I don't think anyone in 5A will be able to beat them. But if Boyle wins, then it will show that FD is slightly overrated and can be beat in the playoffs.
-
Greenwood at South Warren Predictions/Updates
South should be able to beat Greenwood by at least 28 points. But, as Purple88 stated, some weeks you play better than others. I think the coaches are going to motivate South's Defense this week. I expect them to step up quite a bit against Greenwood early on. With that being said, South's pass coverage is not the best. If Greenwood's O-line can hold off the pass rush, they will have some opportunities to make some plays. Final SW 44 - GW 7
-
Christian County at Bowling Green Predictions/Updates
I will agree. I believe that Bowling Green should easily win this matchup. Christian County's defense was severely lacking. BG, just as Greenwood and South, should be able to rack up lots of points and pull off a victory. Their offense in the first half last week honestly looked better than BG's or most other teams that had played South this year. Maybe South's defense just didn't take the game serious enough and underestimated CC in the beginning. CC could have just had an offensive scheme that South isn't well suited to handle. They had a mobile quarterback that could run and throw decent short passes, with an offensive line that gave the QB a little time. Whatever the reason, CC was able to put together 2 great offensive drives. I think they could surprise BG in at least a couple drives. CC's special teams is also a weak spot for them. South had 2 kickoff return TDs and ran a punt back for probably 40 yards. South also blocked an extra point. Final score BG 35 - CC 7