Bowling Green at South Warren Predictions/Updates

Who Wins this game?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/12/2021 at 10:30 PM

Bowling Green at South Warren Predictions/Updates

South Warren and Bowling Green will renew their rivalry for the ninth time this coming Friday night at South Warren with the series currently tied at 4 games each.  Since becoming district mates in 2017, these teams have met twice every year, except 2018 back when you didn’t immediately turn around and play your district teams basically back to back. 

The one thing that has been pretty consistent with this series is inconsistency or rather unpredictability.  This can be summed up best in the 2017 games and 2020 games.  In 2017, BG blew out South Warren in the eagerly anticipated first ever matchup between the two.  But South turned the tables and stunned Bowling Green in the playoffs in what would turn out to be Kevin Wallace’s last game as BGHS Head Football Coach.

In 2020, both highly regarded teams met for the last time at El Donaldson Stadium during the regular season and produced a defensive gem in a tight 10-7 South Warren victory.  The playoff matchup last season saw the #1 ranked Spartans catch the turnover bug (and BG really did too) in what turned out to be a 13 turnover game and 41-24 Bowling Green win leading to the Purples 2020 5A Championship.

So, what about this year?  BG traveled to South Warren and just couldn’t find any traction with the Spartan defense likely playing their best game of the year earning a 36-7 Spartan victory.  Since that October 1 game, South Warren really hasn’t been challenged or tested.  And IMO, they haven’t played their best ball most of those nights.  Does that matter?  Not really; as long as they can get refocused for this game.  It’s BG vs South; I don’t think anyone needs any help getting up for that game; so I expect the Spartans to be ready to go.  They remember the feeling from last year and have a ton of seniors that want to erase that memory come Friday night.

For Bowling Green, since October 1, BG has stayed initially in district and taken care of the business they needed to.  They then hosted the second best team in the state St Xavier and honestly played better than the scoreboard might suggest in a 27-0 setback.  They gave up a punt return TD and a pick 6 to help the Tigers earn a comfortable win.  So does that matter?  Maybe; BG has had a tough rebuilding year vs a very challenging schedule producing a record that they haven’t incurred since 2002.  Much to like in the pipeline for Purples fans, but does BG really have a chance in this game?  They certainly aren’t the favorite and likely a couple or 3 TD underdogs going into this game.  But I will end where I began.  This series is unpredictable and to think you know exactly how it will turn out not likely.

Last Week:  South Warren hosted and rolled a very down Christian County team 47-6.

Bowling Green hosted and beat the Greenwood Gators again this time 24-10 in a game the Gators fought hard in.  The Purples didn’t play well in the 3rd quarter and made this game closer than it should have been. 

Bowling Green will have to play well for 4 quarters or at least play neutral for 4 quarters and get some turnovers in order to come out on top in this one.  It wouldn’t be easy and South Warren is rightfully the prevailing favorite in this game. 

What are the keys to the game?  Who wins and why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to agree that BG is a top 10 team in 5A. Maxpreps currently has them ranked 7th in the state, ahead of Scott County and just behind Covington Catholic. I would say that's a pretty accurate a

BG is just not good enough on offense this season.   South Warren wins 28-7. South Warren has a great chance to win the whole thing and should be the overall favorite in 5A  

Key for Bowling Green is to play mistake free on offense and the defense get a turnover or two. South Warren has good defense and will make it tough on BG so I think South Warren wins but maybe closer

Key for Bowling Green is to play mistake free on offense and the defense get a turnover or two. South Warren has good defense and will make it tough on BG so I think South Warren wins but maybe closer game than first matchup.

• Like 2

Think South Warren will win pretty easily. Purples defense will keep it close, and they might have put up some points on their end to pull off an upset. But at the end of the day Purples are just too inconsistent on offense this year. 

South Warren 24-7.

I'm obviously pulling for South on this one. However, I know from painful experience that Bowling Green can always spoil a playoff run for the Spartans. I do think that BG has been playing better than when the two first met. In contrast, South has regressed slightly since the first meeting. However, South will have Conyers back for this game. He'll provide a little more offensive explosiveness and an improved secondary for South. We'll see if the Spartans can get fired up for Friday.

I think there are 2 keys for BG to win. The first is to be successful in their passing game. South will shut down the run, but may give up the pass, particularly short, quick ones. The other key is to successfully pressure Veltcamp. If the Spartan's QB doesn't have time to throw, then you will probably see a lot of turnovers.

In my opinion, this will be a tougher game for both BG and South than round 3. Perhaps even tougher than round 4 of the playoffs.

• Like 2

BG is just not good enough on offense this season.

South Warren wins 28-7.

South Warren has a great chance to win the whole thing and should be the overall favorite in 5A

BG ends a tough season coming off a 2020 state championship. But things are looking up for the Purples and I expect the next three seasons at least to be fun for BG fans.

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

BG is just not good enough on offense this season.

South Warren wins 28-7.

South Warren has a great chance to win the whole thing and should be the overall favorite in 5A

BG ends a tough season coming off a 2020 state championship. But things are looking up for the Purples and I expect the next three seasons at least to be fun for BG fans.

I think you are probably correct. If South is going to win another title, this has to be the year. The Spartans are loaded with talented seniors and don't have as much in the pipeline as what BG does. The Purples will be much more competitive against South next year.

• Like 1

Great defenses, South with the better offense.  I think last game the field position just set up South too much, not as much the BG defense.  I believe it was 14-7 at half, before finishing 33-7.  BG is the master usually at flipping the field with the rugby punter last year Burwash.  That really helped win them the state championship.  South is better this year.  That said, BG needs first downs - plenty - not just points every time.  They need to make South work down the field every possession, possibly create some defensive points or special teams points.  I would expect Kibawa and all the gang to play both ways as needed (don't know this as I haven't seen them up close this year).  BG has the defense to be state champions, and the offense is behind.  I think BG, if they can get a lead somehow early, can make this a game because of their tremendous defense.  That said, South is loaded and I would guess the range on the game is 35-0 South (high) to 17-14 BG (low), with the probability toward the high end.  That said, I think BG plays very well defensively, finds a way to score 14, but ultimately loses.

Hopefully for my sake, South Warren still has the same announcer as last game.  I know @Purple88 loved him.

South 27-14

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Brown said:

Great defenses, South with the better offense.  I think last game the field position just set up South too much, not as much the BG defense.  I believe it was 14-7 at half, before finishing 33-7.  BG is the master usually at flipping the field with the rugby punter last year Burwash.  That really helped win them the state championship.  South is better this year.  That said, BG needs first downs - plenty - not just points every time.  They need to make South work down the field every possession, possibly create some defensive points or special teams points.  I would expect Kibawa and all the gang to play both ways as needed (don't know this as I haven't seen them up close this year).  BG has the defense to be state champions, and the offense is behind.  I think BG, if they can get a lead somehow early, can make this a game because of their tremendous defense.  That said, South is loaded and I would guess the range on the game is 35-0 South (high) to 17-14 BG (low), with the probability toward the high end.  That said, I think BG plays very well defensively, finds a way to score 14, but ultimately loses.

Hopefully for my sake, South Warren still has the same announcer as last game.  I know @Purple88 loved him.

South 27-14

I know you don't want to be too picky about who is working the games because a lot of times it's just volunteers.

But South should be absolutely embarrassed by whoever their PA announcer has been the last several years. It may have even been different people, I don't know, but it's an embarrassment.  I'm surprised the administration hasn't stepped in..

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

I know you don't want to be too picky about who is working the games because a lot of times it's just volunteers.

But South should be absolutely embarrassed by whoever their PA announcer has been the last several years. It may have even been different people, I don't know, but it's an embarrassment.  I'm surprised the administration hasn't stepped in..

What's the story behind this?

Just now, Matthewc said:

It's almost always parents volunteering to cover the duty. This year's guy is different than last year. And yes, expect the same announcer to be back for this game.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Matthewc said:

Not much of a story. Anyone who has ever been to a South game knows.  Just very, very unprofessional on the PA mic. I mean it's embarrassing. 

I talked to some fans from one of South out-of-state opponents. They brought up two points. One was they were surprised at how bad South's stadium is. And they brought up the PA person. They said they've never seen anything like it.

• Haha 1

Daviess County played the congo drums over the loud speaker against Owensboro for entire drives (only when O had the ball but during the plays!) until the ref finally alerted them.  The PA guy finally read a rule that it was not allowed by the KHSAA and to stop playing the drums - not sure why there was separation from the PA guy to the guy playing music, but it was a bad move.

• Like 1

After some early season inconsistencies, the Spartan offense seems to have settled into a groove. If that side of the ball fully catches up with the defense, this is a potentially scary football team.

If the Purples have been sitting on any offensive tweaks or gadget plays, this is the time to roll them out. It may he now or never.

I think BG is a top 10 team in 5A; very strange to me that they haven’t been ranked lately. I don’t know what it is but after watching both teams play lately I’m really leaning towards Bowling Green.

BG-27

SW-20