South Warren 28 Bowling Green 3

Congratulations South Warren.

They were the better team.  As a Bowling Green fan, it is gut punching to take what happened at the end of the first half.

Up 3-0 and fought your heart out; 3rd and long when you were just running the clock out with 15 seconds to go in the half and

a pass play is run and thrown for an INT plus a penalty.  And with 5 seconds on the clock, Veltcamp hits Bell for a TD 7-3 South at the half and

all the momentum switched.  I don't know what else to say.

South had all the yards and their defense was good.  But don't make that set of plays at the end and you give yourself a chance in the second half.

Moving on.  Thank you BG Seniors.

Good luck South Warren next week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sounds like despite a tough season that the BG defense stepped up and played like they were not ready for the season to be over.  Made a game of it.  They will be back next year. 

• Like 1

BG played hard and they do have a great defense. I totally agree about the momentum thing. Near the end of the 2nd quarter, every South fan was starting to believe that BG was going to knock us out of the playoffs again, until that last second TD pass. Once South scored, the momentum shifted and it was an entirely different game.

South is capable of going all the way, but they have to do a lot better on offense. They had three nice drives the 1st quarter and failed to score. The offensive line allowed Veltcamp to get sacked and throw under pressure way too much. The defensive secondary has to step up some too and not allow any big passes.

BG will be back next year, improved and looking for payback.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Purple88 said:

They were the better team.  As a Bowling Green fan, it is gut punching to take what happened at the end of the first half.

Up 3-0 and fought your heart out; 3rd and long when you were just running the clock out with 15 seconds to go in the half and

a pass play is run and thrown for an INT plus a penalty.  And with 5 seconds on the clock, Veltcamp hits Bell for a TD 7-3 South at the half and

South had all the yards and their defense was good.  But don't make that set of plays at the end and you give yourself a chance in the second half.

Just curious where you would put South as compared to the other teams that BG has played this year. I know scores don't always tell the true picture.

52 minutes ago, Spartandad said:

Just curious where you would put South as compared to the other teams that BG has played this year. I know scores don't always tell the true picture.

Boyle County is definitely better than South.

Father Ryan is definitely better than South.

St. X is definitely better than South.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Refs took an obvious TD off the board on a blatantly bad out of bounds call. BG's disaster at the end of the first half. Also South got a lot of help from the refs on that last play of the half too. Score should have been 10-0 BG at half. I would have liked to have seen what would have happened then.

But when South took a 7-3 lead there the game took a turn.  BG's offense was just too lacking of talent, speed and experience this year. Defense can only do so much.

South had a much better team this year than BG. The Purples coming off a state championship last year just lost a lot and were caught in a gap year.

But the next 3+ years are going to be fun for BG fans. Onward and upward. 

1 hour ago, Spartandad said:

SD, this is a complicated question, as you mention scores don't paint the true picture.  Also, I think South Warren on Oct 1 played BG better than they did last evening.  Now alot of that may be due to the fact BG played better IMO last night than they did on Oct 1.

But to answer your question.  I think Boyle County, Father Ryan and St X are better than the November 12 South Warren team.  What about the Oct 1 team?  I think that South team competes with all 3 of these teams and they are much closer games and with Conyers could find a way to win.

Going forward for South Warren; can they get that fire back they had on Oct 1?  

Regardless, IMO only Owensboro and Frederick Douglass have a chance to beat South this season.  CovCath could, but South would have to play poorly.  I have no idea what Woodford County has, but if Souths defense is locked in, I just don't see that being a game.

I also look for a near running clock for South next week.  Good luck.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

Refs took an obvious TD off the board on a blatantly bad out of bounds call. BG's disaster at the end of the first half. Also South got a lot of help from the refs on that last play of the half too. Score should have been 10-0 BG at half. I would have liked to have seen what would have happened then.

But when South took a 7-3 lead there the game took a turn.  BG's offense was just too lacking of talent, speed and experience this year. Defense can only do so much.

South had a much better team this year than BG. The Purples coming off a state championship last year just lost a lot and were caught in a gap year.

I agree that the refs were not BGs friend last evening.  However, on the TD to Love you mention, I personally thought when I viewed it he was out of bounds, but I did not have a good view of it, so I could be wrong.  I don't have any more words for the end of the first half.  BG should have had the lead at halftime is the fact for sure.  And I too would have like to have seen what happened then. 

South likely still would have won, but it would have still been a dog fight at that point and not the undeniable let down that occurred instead.  I have mixed emotions in that you always want to win, but the other part is a piece of you (and this from a spoiled BG fan) wants the offense to improve more than it can this season to end and regroup for next season.

9 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I agree that the refs were not BGs friend last evening.  However, on the TD to Love you mention, I personally thought when I viewed it he was out of bounds, but I did not have a good view of it, so I could be wrong.  I don't have any more words for the end of the first half.  BG should have had the lead at halftime is the fact for sure.  And I too would have like to have seen what happened then. 

South likely still would have won, but it would have still been a dog fight at that point and not the undeniable let down that occurred instead.  I have mixed emotions in that you always want to win, but the other part is a piece of you (and this from a spoiled BG fan) wants the offense to improve more than it can this season to end and regroup for next season.

There are screen shots going around. It was an easy inbounds call. I thought it was a TD watching it live. It's inexcusable.

A 10-0 lead for BG makes the game completely different. But there is no excuse for that disastrous first half ending for BG. South got a lot of help from the refs on that play too.

But BG never should have been in that position to begin with. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Killowatt59 said:

I thought BG scored as well on the play at the back of the end zone. I seen a picture on twitter that looked like he was in. Then I watch Football Frenzy on www.wnky.com and they slowed it down. His foot came up right before he possessed the ball. The call could have went either way, but it was too close for the human eye to see. Good thing is they got the call right.

22 minutes ago, Koolbreeze81 said:

I thought BG scored as well on the play at the back of the end zone. I seen a picture on twitter that looked like he was in. Then I watch Football Frenzy on www.wnky.com and they slowed it down. His foot came up right before he possessed the ball. The call could have went either way, but it was too close for the human eye to see. Good thing is they got the call right.

Completely disagree I have seen several still shot photos from different angles it wasn't really even close.

It's sickening that the reps missed such an easy call.