Christian County at Bowling Green Predictions/Updates

Who Wins this game?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

• Christian County
    • Bowling Green

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/22/2021 at 09:30 PM

Last District Game!

Christian County at BG

The last district game in 5A District 2 for these teams doesn’t seem like much on paper.  But with the news that Christian County and Hopkinsville will be merged into one HUGE school, this will likely be one of the last handful of times these teams meet as District mates, which is sad to me on many levels.  There have been quality matchups in the past and very good players (WR Keyron Catlett, QB Kolbe Langhi, etc.) on both teams.  Although I do think they will pay again, just out of district.

Christian County’s last win in this series was a memorable 14-10 comeback home win in the second round of the 2010 playoffs.  The Colonels would go on to make the 5A Finals that year, but lose to a quality Highlands team 50-0.

Bowling Green has gone on to reel off 10 straight wins and I look for 11 on Friday night.

Last Week:  Christian County put up a fine effort at home vs District Leader South Warren and scored 13 points on Souths first string defense, which is a win in my book.  They did fall 51-20 though and are 1-7 on the year with now 7 consecutive defeats.  But performing well against South Warren should give them some hope of continued positive play and anything can happen.  The Colonels are led by QB Jordan Miles, who @Spartandad reported played well last week, so that’s a good sign for County.

For the Purples, I think Fall Break is what they needed, as they came out pretty inspired and if not for a lengthy lightning delay, I think they punch it in on their first possession.  Nevertheless, SR RB Matrix Halcomb had arguably his best game as a Purple with 120 yards on 17 carries and the opening TD of the game.  SR DE Amario Wilson had a great game including a key Pick-6 late in the second half.  He also had a fumble recovery.  A lot to like for the Purples in this one.

This Week:  As I stated above, I just don’t see how County wins this game is the bottom line.  I think BG is getting better each week now and more healthy too.  As @Spartandad reported in the South v County thread (and thanks for your input!), Christian County is likely better than their 1-7 record suggests, but that won’t be enough this Friday night.  Look for BG big!

What do you think?  Who wins and what are the keys?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Last District Game!

Christian County at BG

The last district game in 5A District 2 for these teams doesn’t seem like much on paper.  But with the news that Christian County and Hopkinsville will be merged into one HUGE school, this will likely be one of the last handful of times these teams meet as District mates, which is sad to me on many levels.  There have been quality matchups in the past and very good players (WR Keyron Catlett, QB Kolbe Langhi, etc.) on both teams.  Although I do think they will pay again, just out of district.

Christian County’s last win in this series was a memorable 14-10 comeback home win in the second round of the 2010 playoffs.  The Colonels would go on to make the 5A Finals that year, but lose to a quality Highlands team 50-0.

Bowling Green has gone on to reel off 10 straight wins and I look for 11 on Friday night.

Last Week:  Christian County put up a fine effort at home vs District Leader South Warren and scored 13 points on Souths first string defense, which is a win in my book.  They did fall 51-20 though and are 1-7 on the year with now 7 consecutive defeats.  But performing well against South Warren should give them some hope of continued positive play and anything can happen.  The Colonels are led by QB Jordan Miles, who @Spartandad reported played well last week, so that’s a good sign for County.

For the Purples, I think Fall Break is what they needed, as they came out pretty inspired and if not for a lengthy lightning delay, I think they punch it in on their first possession.  Nevertheless, SR RB Matrix Halcomb had arguably his best game as a Purple with 120 yards on 17 carries and the opening TD of the game.  SR DE Amario Wilson had a great game including a key Pick-6 late in the second half.  He also had a fumble recovery.  A lot to like for the Purples in this one.

This Week:  As I stated above, I just don’t see how County wins this game is the bottom line.  I think BG is getting better each week now and more healthy too.  As @Spartandad reported in the South v County thread (and thanks for your input!), Christian County is likely better than their 1-7 record suggests, but that won’t be enough this Friday night.  Look for BG big!

What do you think?  Who wins and what are the keys?

I will agree. I believe that Bowling Green should easily win this matchup. Christian County's defense was severely lacking. BG, just as Greenwood and South, should be able to rack up lots of points and pull off a victory.

Their offense in the first half last week honestly looked better than BG's or most other teams that had played South this year. Maybe South's defense just didn't take the game serious enough and underestimated CC in the beginning. CC could have just had an offensive scheme that South isn't well suited to handle. They had a mobile quarterback that could run and throw decent short passes, with an offensive line that gave the QB a little time. Whatever the reason, CC was able to put together 2 great offensive drives. I think they could surprise BG in at least a couple drives.

CC's special teams is also a weak spot for them. South had 2 kickoff return TDs and ran a punt back for probably 40 yards. South also blocked an extra point.

Final score  BG 35 - CC 7

23 hours ago, Spartandad said:

I will agree. I believe that Bowling Green should easily win this matchup. Christian County's defense was severely lacking. BG, just as Greenwood and South, should be able to rack up lots of points and pull off a victory.

Their offense in the first half last week honestly looked better than BG's or most other teams that had played South this year. Maybe South's defense just didn't take the game serious enough and underestimated CC in the beginning. CC could have just had an offensive scheme that South isn't well suited to handle. They had a mobile quarterback that could run and throw decent short passes, with an offensive line that gave the QB a little time. Whatever the reason, CC was able to put together 2 great offensive drives. I think they could surprise BG in at least a couple drives.

CC's special teams is also a weak spot for them. South had 2 kickoff return TDs and ran a punt back for probably 40 yards. South also blocked an extra point.

Final score  BG 35 - CC 7

2 kickoff TDS at some point you got to just kick the ball at of bounds and let them have it at the 35.

46 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

2 kickoff TDS at some point you got to just kick the ball at of bounds and let them have it at the 35.

I don't know why more teams don't do this.  I see teams all the time try to pooch kick and all this business of scheming on kickoffs or just blatantly kicking it and not being able to cover the kick.

JUST Kick it out of bounds.  Play at the 35 and let your defense handle it from there.  Especially if your opponent has a dangerous return man or two.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I don't know why more teams don't do this.  I see teams all the time try to pooch kick and all this business of scheming on kickoffs or just blatantly kicking it and not being able to cover the kick.

JUST Kick it out of bounds.  Play at the 35 and let your defense handle it from there.  Especially if your opponent has a dangerous return man or two.

yes but you can decline it and back them 5 yards and kick it again. 

9 minutes ago, tackle trap said:

Great point!  Then you need a good kicker.  🤣

2 hours ago, tackle trap said:

You can but most coaches don’t for whatever reason. I guess they think the 35 is pretty good.

3 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

You can but most coaches don’t for whatever reason. I guess they think the 35 is pretty good.

They probably view getting it at the 35 as better than their own return unit messing things up. 

• Like 1

Bowling Green is going to win by as many as they want. They’ve won ten in a row over the Colonels, and 17 of 18. Most haven’t been close. It’s crazy to think that as solid as Christian County has been, if not for the most unlikely two minutes in 2010, Bowling Green would have won 18 in a row over them. 

• Like 1

Purples lead Christian County 16-0 at the half.  I've been traveling and just now getting to where I can report.  Sounds like BG missed a couple long passes.

• Thanks 1