3. Owensboro vs. 6A Henderson County

4. Woodford County vs. 6A Simon Kenton

5. Covington Catholic vs. 6A #5 Ryle

6. Southwestern vs. 6A #9 Madison Central

7. Graves County at 6A Marshall County

8. Scott County at 4A #4 Lexington Catholic

9. Highlands -- OPEN

10. Cooper at 6A Butler

Without a doubt, the most competitive, exciting - and suspenseful - class.

Really weird not seeing the Purples, but that's another reason why 5A is the most exciting class in the state.    Bowling Green, and some other "regulars" - South Oldham, Pulaski County, etc. - are missing not because they are bad programs this year, but because the class is deep and competitive.   That's good for KY football; everyone loves seeing the wide-open competition.

And the likes of South Oldham, Pulaski County, Bowling Green, etc. - they're still winning games and will be counted before all is said and done.

• Like 2

The loss of the Owensboro QB, Gavin Wimsatt to Rutgers and Owensboro still number 3.  Does losing him take them out of a realistic chance of being state champions?  I don't know anything about Owensboro this season as far as strengths and weaknesses.  What is the gap between the Top 2 and the rest of the field?

46 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

The loss of the Owensboro QB, Gavin Wimsatt to Rutgers and Owensboro still number 3.  Does losing him take them out of a realistic chance of being state champions?  I don't know anything about Owensboro this season as far as strengths and weaknesses.  What is the gap between the Top 2 and the rest of the field?

They've been much better without him than I expected, but I'm also not sure if they were realistic state championship contenders even with Wimsatt. While @ColonelMike rightfully called the class exciting and suspenseful, I would be very surprised if the winner is someone other than Frederick Douglass or South Warren.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

They've been much better without him than I expected, but I'm also not sure if they were realistic state championship contenders even with Wimsatt. While @ColonelMike rightfully called the class exciting and suspenseful, I would be very surprised if the winner is someone other than Frederick Douglass or South Warren.

Although I stand by my comments, I agree that those two are the clear favorites.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cincyswords said:

I don't know that anyone really knows the true gap between any of the top 4 teams. None of them have played and beaten any competitive teams in Kentucky this season. The only team that will be playing a top tier team at all before the playoffs is Frederick Douglas, who plays Boyle on Friday. If FD overwhelms Boyle, then I think they are the clear front runner for Class 5A champ, with nobody close. If Boyle beats FD, then I think any of the top 4 teams has a chance to be state champs. Traditionally, SW and Owensboro are pretty close. I would say that this season they are as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Spartandad said:

I don't know that anyone really knows the true gap between any of the top 4 teams. None of them have played and beaten any competitive teams in Kentucky this season. The only team that will be playing a top tier team at all before the playoffs is Frederick Douglas, who plays Boyle on Friday. If FD overwhelms Boyle, then I think they are the clear front runner for Class 5A champ, with nobody close. If Boyle beats FD, then I think any of the top 4 teams has a chance to be state champs. Traditionally, SW and Owensboro are pretty close. I would say that this season they are as well. 

Woodford County is the real wild card. They've looked great all season and have nice wins against Glasgow and Franklin County, although neither of those clubs would be a favorite in Class 5A. I have no idea if they are a realistic contender but I'm anxious to find out.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Woodford County is the real wild card. They've looked great all season and have nice wins against Glasgow and Franklin County, although neither of those clubs would be a favorite in Class 5A. I have no idea if they are a realistic contender but I'm anxious to find out.

I've seen them once. My thought is that their unique offense and the playmakers on the roster can keep them in any ball game they may have in 5A.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I've seen them once. My thought is that their unique offense and the playmakers on the roster can keep them in any ball game they may have in 5A.

I think the top 4 teams all have very unique, different styles of play. They all have playmakers as well. I agree that Glasgow and Franklin county are both pretty good wins for Woodford. Until we see the outcome of FD vs Boyle, I think all 4 have a good chance for the title.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spartandad said:

Not sure I can quite agree with that.....Frederick Douglass' wins over 6A Bryan Station (ranked #6) and 5A Scott County (ranked #8) aren't exactly too shabby.....

1 minute ago, ColonelMike said:

Not sure I can quite agree with that.....Frederick Douglass' wins over 6A Bryan Station (ranked #6) and 5A Scott County (ranked #8) aren't exactly too shabby.....

Good point and to further that - Owensboro beat Graves @ Graves when Graves was ranked #5, and O has beaten Daviess County #6 in 6A.  Owensboro/Graves is the toughest 2nd round game there is (along with District 5).  I guarantee no other team would want Graves round 2.  Usually, that happens in district 2 with BG and South Warren.  

• Like 1