Everything posted by psychicscubadiver
-
Highlands 2016
Hmm, in that case they could have anything from an 8-2 to a 4-6 regular season depending on how things change from last year. I'll put my guess in the middle and predict a 6-4 record. Which feels awfully strange to say about Highlands. Best of luck, Bluebirds.
-
3 Class System
Anyone who thinks there should be a private-only class should be aware that there are only 14 football playing private schools in Kentucky and 10 of that 14 are all 2A or smaller. Anyone who wants to force tiny Bishop Brossart and other 1A schools to compete with St. X and Trinity each year doesn't actually care about fairness; they just want an easy road to the state finals.
-
Highlands 2016
What is their schedule like for 2016?
-
3 Class System
Voice of Reason, you've more than earned your name with this post.
-
Trinity High School Announces its 2016 Football Schedule
The voices in your head are not a good source no matter how much they claim otherwise. Seriously, though the new district and traditional foes (St. X, Male, Brentwood, and Ensworth) take up eight out of ten weeks. I would love it if Trinity had been able to schedule one of those two for the remaining two slots, but it didn't work out. I am confused why you think Trinity would be afraid to play a team that beat in 2014 (Colerain) and another that they only lost to by three points (Moeller).
-
Central Hardin Bruins - 2015 Grade
Losing to Boyle County hurts Central Hardin a lot in this, and being trounced in the Bowling Green and South Warren games doesn't help. Still, the improvement over the course of the season leading to a victory over McCracken County makes me bump them to a C+.
-
Simon Kenton 2016 Schedule
Fair enough. I also believe that SK is improving, though I don't think they are currently at Trinity's level as some posters have implied. What Trinity has coming back: They lost the QB, several of the standout defense players, and Rodjay Burns. However, they kept a good number of line and skill guys. It is worth noting that the JV Rocks were undefeated and will provide new blood. Chuckle, sorry for the vagueness, but I'm not close enough to the program to know the specifics.
-
Simon Kenton 2016 Schedule
Aren't Trinity's district and SK's district playing each other in the 2017 playoffs thanks to the cross-bracketing? ... Yup, just checked it. Well, assuming they beat whoever the number two in Trinity's district (probably Ballard) then they'll have the chance to show their improvement in the quarterfinals. Either we'll get a good game and SK will prove themselves, or we'll have proof that they are not what people have claimed. However it turns out, I look forward to it.
-
Cooper Jaguars - 2015 Grade
Chuckle, I can't consider a B too high for a quarterfinal loss team given the grade I plan on giving Trinity. Anyway, on topic, they had a similar schedule to SK and did well save for that loss to Station. I'd give them a B- for the regular season and a B+ post-season for being within a point of SK. A B seems fair.
-
Simon Kenton 2016 Schedule
True, although even only comparing the playoffs Lafayette went 42-14 against Male while Trinity went 20-19. It's still valid to suggest then, that as Trinity performed much better against a common opponent, and SK lost to Lafayette by two scores, then it is very likely Trinity would have beaten SK had they played.
-
Simon Kenton 2016 Schedule
Trinity was close by the time of the playoffs. The final score was 20-19 with Trinity missing that extra point in the final seconds of the game. Not playing the 'coulda' game, but that shows how Male wasn't on another level compared to Trinity last year.
-
DeSales Colts - 2015 Grade
Even though one of those shutouts was only by two touchdowns against the #4 5A team, Fern Creek? And they avenged the other shutout with a 37-18 larger margin victory later in the year? Not to mention that B-/C seems a bit low for a team that played Mayfield (a team you rated A/A+) to a five point difference.
-
DeSales Colts - 2015 Grade
A- sounds about right.
-
Should any good 6A team ever schedule any 1A or 2A teams?
I doubt Pep was referring to the specific number of small schools SK faces and was instead making a general statement. Like if a person owns an SUV and a friend says 'yeah, those cars are real gas guzzlers'. The friend isn't saying that the person owns multiple cars; he's just making a broad observation. From what I've been told CAL was a last-minute replacement after another team dropped out so I don't have a problem with SK playing them in this instance. Otherwise, I would find fault with scheduling a 2A team when you consider yourself a 6A title contender. Especially when that victory is bragged about later.
-
Simon Kenton Pioneers - 2015 Grade
What did they do in the playoffs that earned them an A? I mean, they beat Ryle and Cooper again, but lost by two touchdowns to Lafayette. I'd give them a B+. Their regular season was a bit soft, but going undefeated still earns them a B+ there. Overall: B+
-
Simon Kenton 2016 Schedule
Shrug. If that's how you view it, it's not like I could change your mind.
-
Should any good 6A team ever schedule any 1A or 2A teams?
Hmm... depends on the definition of 'good'. A top 5 team? Not unless it is a traditional rivalry or you are desperate to fill a slot and they are the only team willing. A top 10 team? That 2A or 1A had better be top of their class and even then it's questionable. A top 15 team? The top schools of 2A would be okay, but 1A is still questionable.
-
Simon Kenton 2016 Schedule
Meade County also went 3-9 for the year and was ranked 25 out of 32 6A schools. They lost the farm to graduation and didn't have a good team. Also, the last time SK played Male was what... 2008? Not even close to the same team now; SK isn't the only school that can improve.
-
Male Bulldogs - 2015 Grade
I would definitely agree to an A+. I still think that their regular schedule outside of Trinity and their district was weak, but they did everything they needed to and overcame every obstacle in their path.
-
Simon Kenton 2016 Schedule
I'd agree that either would be a game to watch. I didn't include them because Male seems devoted to a local-only schedule (though that could change in the future) and Trinity is just really short on schedule room, between the their district and traditional rivalries. Though, if the TN schools don't sign for 2017, I'd like SK and a Cincy team replace them.Or maybe if PRP and Lafayette don't renew. Either way, getting Trinity within easy driving distance for me is always a plus.
-
Simon Kenton 2016 Schedule
Interesting, I was unaware of that requirement from the school board. That was a heck of a step up for CAL then, but if they are coming off the schedule next year, I think that's for the best. I'd like to see them play a Louisville school. Ballard, PRP, or Manual would all be good choices with a game that would benefit both schools in my opinion. Another Lexington school would also be good, though.
-
Simon Kenton 2016 Schedule
Honestly, yes. Those state championships are in 1A and 2A, and it's been 4 to 8 years since either team has won one. Playing them was good when SK was still turning their program around, but at this point they shouldn't be on the schedule. I would agree, though, that Boone is the weakest team on the schedule, and that there's nothing they can do about that.
-
Simon Kenton 2016 Schedule
It depends on how you define 'on their level'. I'd say that the top 12 of 6A (>2/3) would beat or play with Simon Kenton. If you are restricting the definition to beat only then your statement would be valid, but it would seem inaccurate to refer to anyone that doesn't beat a team as a cupcake on their schedule.
-
Simon Kenton 2016 Schedule
The scrimmage with St. X is a solid choice. It's always good to scrimmage strong teams. SK's district is weak, but they can't help that. Cooper, Ryle, Bryan Station, Highlands and Conner are all good out-of-district choices. Dixie Heights was a good choice back when the schedules were being drawn up, but last year they weren't close to being a strong team, and I'm not sure they can turn it around for this season. Scott and CAL still puzzle me. Scott is at least local, but if they are coming to Louisville I'd rather see them play a 5A or 6A team.
-
Simon Kenton 2016 Schedule
True, but five out of six away games are in NKY so travel shouldn't be much of a problem. Are they losing any of the gate from being on the road?