Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

3 Class System

Featured Replies

  • Replies 168
  • Views 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

If top two teams from each district made playoffs, that shaves 1 week off playoffs.

If top two teams from each district made playoffs, that shaves 1 week off playoffs.

And how does that help football? Are we trying to get the season over faster for basketball? Every year we drag these posts up and argue over which class system is better (3,4,5,6 etc...). It is obvious that the KHSAA is set on keeping it at 6 classes. Schools are polled and asked their opinions and most seem to favor the current set up. Why do we continue to beat this poor dead horse??????

  • Author

High School Football season could stand to be shorter, but not for basketball. I'd like to see football start two weeks later. Honestly, I'd be fine with only taking the winner of each district.

Interesting idea Ashland. Not something that would ever happen, but it is the off season so it gives us something to talk about, lol.

 

How would you deal with a 12 team district like the one you have Trinity in? They wouldn't be able to play all their district teams.

 

Also by cutting the number of classes in half, if you also cut the # of teams from each district making the playoffs, you would be cutting playoff participation drastically. Instead of 192 teams qualifying for the playoffs, you would now only have 48.

 

Is that a good thing? What you were wanting?

  • Author

The biggest districts actually only have 11 (that way everyone can play each team)

 

I think less playoff teams is a good thing. Makes regular season mean more, eliminates the crazy blowouts and painful travel of the first round, and makes it clear that making the playoffs is a reward for an accomplishment (not a given based on how many teams are in your district)

The biggest districts actually only have 11 (that way everyone can play each team)

 

I think less playoff teams is a good thing. Makes regular season mean more, eliminates the crazy blowouts and painful travel of the first round, and makes it clear that making the playoffs is a reward for an accomplishment (not a given based on how many teams are in your district)

I counted 12 teams in the Trinity district when you first posted it. I agree with you, 11 is the most you could have

I would not be a fan of 3 Class system. This makes it impossible for some programs ever making the playoffs. Three is to small and 6 is to big. I am not sure what the answer is but it is somewhere between those two numbers.

I'd hate a schedule of only district teams...that would get boring very quickly. Also would eliminate many natural rivalries that have existed for years.

  • Author

I get what you're saying about rivalries, but only 4 districts out of 24 have 11 teams, so almost everyone would have 1 or more games they could use to schedule a traditional rivalry opponent. I did not try to force uniform district sizes as it would have caused geographic issues.

  • Author

Why does teams not making the playoffs matter? You get 10 guaranteed games a year. That seems like enough.

Why does most every team making it matter to you? I never hear people saying every team shouldn't make the district tournament in basketball, baseball, soccer, etc... Should only the top 2 make it in those sports? Only District champions make the regional tournament in those sports?

I don't get why everyone gets so upset with football being like other sports.

You are basically taking any and all scheduling flexibility out so teams couldn't ever play anyone other than KY programs.

Less Travel...No

-a few districts in metro areas wouldn't be bad...but compared to current districts just about everyone would have longer travel for longest district games than they do currently

 

Easier Scheduling...Yes but boring

-a lot of rivalry games would be lost if teams have zero or only one non district game per year.

 

Better Competition...No

-Trinity's, Mayfield's, Belfry's, Highland's schedules (for example) aren't going to be more competitive in any way. Same would go for any good program that challenge themselves with tough schedules year in and year out.

 

Kudos Ashland for putting in the work and the thought that you put into to this, I just don't see Kentucky High School Football being so broken that it needs this drastic of overhaul.

 

My default position is the more Football the better, so I'm never in favor of eliminating weeks from the season or playoffs. #LetThemPlay

Why does most every team making it matter to you? I never hear people saying every team shouldn't make the district tournament in basketball, baseball, soccer, etc... Should only the top 2 make it in those sports? Only District champions make the regional tournament in those sports?

I don't get why everyone gets so upset with football being like other sports.

 

I've been saying this for years...Football actually has a few teams that don't make the playoffs, while other sports allow every team into the playoffs.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.