Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

3 Class System

Featured Replies

  • Author

Those teams could always petition to play up. Trinity is the only one that is a different animal. I don't think the structure of the entire football class system should reflect needs that in reality, only Trinity has.

  • Replies 168
  • Views 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

The key phrase in your post is "current districts". Outside of district play, scheduling has become a nightmare in this state. Teams are traveling crazy distances. Having these large, geographic based districts solves that problem.

If you want to cut the class size down to 3, why not have 16 districts instead of 8?

 

You can have the same number of playoff teams as you choose, and it would give them some flexibility in their scheduling.

The key phrase in your post is "current districts". Outside of district play, scheduling has become a nightmare in this state. Teams are traveling crazy distances. Having these large, geographic based districts solves that problem.

Teams can choose to travel those distances or not currently based on their scheduling...in this proposal Johnson Central (For example) would have a 3 hour bus trip one way for nearly every district game.

 

Again I applaud what you are striving for. The geography of our state (long and slim) and the lack of an equal dispersion of schools of all classes statewide, just still leaves many scheduling issues that are probably better handled by the AD and Coaches and not a mandatory 9 or 10 game scheduling grid. That four hour bus ride from Monroe Co. to Fulton would be horrible. Monroe Co. would have to leave at noon for just about every away game on their schedule. I'll guarantee they aren't currently scheduling teams as far away as Fulton, Fulton Co, Mayfield or Ballard Memorial...those would all be around 8 hours of bus time round trip.

I would not be a fan of 3 Class system. This makes it impossible for some programs ever making the playoffs. Three is to small and 6 is to big. I am not sure what the answer is but it is somewhere between those two numbers.

 

I agree Coach. I think 5 is the right number with the biggest class being limited to 32 teams like it is now. Then divide the remaining teams into 4 equally sized classes.

The biggest districts actually only have 11 (that way everyone can play each team)

 

I think less playoff teams is a good thing. Makes regular season mean more, eliminates the crazy blowouts and painful travel of the first round, and makes it clear that making the playoffs is a reward for an accomplishment (not a given based on how many teams are in your district)

 

No matter what you do with classes and alignments, there will always be blowouts. Last year state semis:

 

Male 50 Central Hardin 0

South Warren 36 Shelby County 6

Belfry 42 Corbin 14

Lex Cath 35 Elizabethtown 14

 

That is the semi's. If we go back one round, I am sure there will be more blowouts. There are blowouts in the championship games. Blowouts are no reason to change class structure.

And how does that help football? Are we trying to get the season over faster for basketball? Every year we drag these posts up and argue over which class system is better (3,4,5,6 etc...). It is obvious that the KHSAA is set on keeping it at 6 classes. Schools are polled and asked their opinions and most seem to favor the current set up. Why do we continue to beat this poor dead horse??????

 

Thanksgiving weekend championships used to be awesome. Better attendance because many working families were already off and available for those Friday games. But, I am an oldtimer, and to quote a friend.."the older I get, the better I use to be."

  • Author

Saying no matter what you do with class structure there will be blowouts and then using scores from the current, 6 class system to illustrate your point seems like circular logic. If you cut the class structure in half and reduce the number of playoff teams to 16 per class (or 8 if you want), it seems clear that the competition level will increase.

  • Author

Some of those issues are due to the limits of my geographical knowledge. Would love for posters with regional familiarity to clean up my districts, especially the east and western districts of the lower classes.

  • Author

This is a good idea.

  • Author
If you want to cut the class size down to 3, why not have 16 districts instead of 8?

 

You can have the same number of playoff teams as you choose, and it would give them some flexibility in their scheduling.

 

Love it.

I agree Coach. I think 5 is the right number with the biggest class being limited to 32 teams like it is now. Then divide the remaining teams into 4 equally sized classes.

 

Voice of Reason, you've more than earned your name with this post.

Saying no matter what you do with class structure there will be blowouts and then using scores from the current, 6 class system to illustrate your point seems like circular logic. If you cut the class structure in half and reduce the number of playoff teams to 16 per class (or 8 if you want), it seems clear that the competition level will increase.

 

I used games from the semifinals. I could even use games from the finals. All those teams would be in the playoffs if you had 2 classes. Blowouts happen.

  • Author

I consider a blowout a running clock situation. Most of those games were not like that.

More State Championship games, More $$$

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.