Everything posted by Old_Bulldog
-
Who is in the running for NKY player of the year?
I would throw out Caple and Kearns from Dixie, with a dark horse of Nick King. Although I think King and Kearns will be hurt if they don't get to bat on days when they pitch.
-
2014 9th Region Predictions
It was at Dixie. Don't know about split-squad.
-
2014 9th Region Predictions
Saw him lose a 1-0 dual last year to Dixie, as a sophomore. Exactly the kind of player I was talking about in my earlier post. Nice PITCHER!
-
2014 9th Region Predictions
I beieve we are straying of topic a bit but I'm still not sure why everyone falls in love with the gun. Give me a kid with just enough speed to keep hitters honest, a couple of different off-speed pitches and by far more important than velocity, can throw strikes! Now back to the pedictions, any more? I will predict the regional participants as; Dixie (District Winner) & St. Henry (Runner-up) Beechwood (DW) & Cov Cath Ryle (DW) & Cooper Highlands (DW) & New Cath Completly un-related; It still seems odd to me that kids from Dixie go to grade school with kids from Scott but the schools are in different regions.
-
2014 9th Region Predictions
I would have to say that looking at the top teams from last year, Beechwood and Dixie lost the least. As NKU states above Dixie only loses 3 seniors from last years roster (only one pitcher) and I do not believe Beechwood relied very heavily on the senior class last year. I know Ryle had a strong bunch of underclassmen but losing, what 14 seniors, you would think that they have to take a bit of a step back.
-
Dixie's Seth Caple 2014 Commits
Congrats Cape! I said all last year that Seth was the most under-rated catchers in the area, great hitter and not a whole lot of baserunning going on with him behind the plate. Seth was one of the main reasons for Dixie's regional runner-up finish last year. I bet there is one coach who regrets pitching to him in the bottom of the ninth of the semis! Hopefully, with all but three returning from last year's team, Seth can anchor a Regional Champ!
-
Showcases
I would say that it depends on the kid. If your son can light up the gun or run like a deer, then I say showcases are probably a good investment. After all, those are the things that get noticed at these type of events. As we all know, even the best hitters can have an off day, especially when you get maybe 10 swings from who knows what type of pitcher. So hitting can be a crap shoot. If your son doesn't necessarily excel in the "combine" type setting, I'm not sure how much they can improve their stock by attending showcases. I believe the only real purpose to the showcases is that a college coach with limited time can narrow their search based on a players raw athletic ability. Unfortunately, a kid who may be a better "player of the game" can easily be overlooked at such events.
-
Baseball slang
I like when a guy hits a frozen rope to the outfield. It's much better than a seeing eye ball. Same result though.
-
Enquirer All-Star Team
While it is impossible to put together a list everyone will agree with, they did a much better job than the coaches. Hey look, a Dixie kid finally made an all-star team!:clap:
-
2013 All-State teams
All-state teams seem pretty flawed, at least as far as NKy's representation is concerned. I'm not saying that the players chosen aren't very good players but when teams that do not make the regional tourney get 3 of the 5 players named, it doesn't pass the smell test. The other 2 lost in the first round of the regional tourney. IMO team success should carry at least a little weight.
-
Summer Baseball
The whole knothole versus select thing, let it go already. Everyone knows that if a kid really wants to get better and excel in the sport, they need to go select. If a kid wants to plat ball, is not really worried about excelling to the next level and just wants to have fun, there is absolutely nothing wrong with knothole. My son started playing select years back because he/we knew that knothole was not going to prepare him to play high school ball. It was a tough transition to say the least. However, if he would have decided to stay in knothole and played his best and had fun all along, who could have said that he made a wrong decision. After all, as long as you're having fun playing a game, that's what matters, right?
-
Summer Baseball
Oh yeah, Eric hit a 3 run bomb in the top of the 7th to seal it! :ylsuper:
-
Summer Baseball
Stefan Goldman is the coach.
-
Summer Baseball
Garrett Combs is the third. He pitched a complete game 4-hit, 1er win against the Colonels. He was not there foe the Bluegrass game.
-
Summer Baseball
I know that they are a Cincinnati based team but 3 players from Dixie play on the 18U Riverbats and they did have back to back wins over the Bluegrass Chiefs & Ky Colonels last week.
-
Is the Coach Teaching the Right Life Lessons?
There lies the problem. When parents and coaches have no issue with purposely skirting the rules, it will indeed stain any experience or victory that results. Sort of like making a double eagle on the golf course after you knowingly kicked the ball out from behind a tree. Maybe noone else even saw it but you'll always know that you didn't really EARN IT.
-
Is the Coach Teaching the Right Life Lessons?
Heck, why get Walton involved, just schedule a midweek game against the soccer team and call it Futbol!
-
Pleasure Ridge Park 3 Mercer County 2 (8 innings) (State Championship)
Dixie played PRP earlier in the year. While they didn't (that game) wow you with their pitching (even though Dixie was shut-out, lack of timely hits) or offense, they were one of the most solid defensive teams I have ever seen. Congrats!
-
Is the Coach Teaching the Right Life Lessons?
Unfortunately, this is another sign of "Trickle-down ethics" in sports these days, where winning isn't the most important thing, it's the ONLY thing! It is examples of behavior like this, that almost make you yearn for the days of not keeping score and everybody get a trophy....jk
-
NKy Junior/Senior All-Star Games - Monday, June 10th
Well at least the fields are on opposite ends of the campus! Is the softball field the best in NKy as well?
-
Congrats to the Ryle Raiders on a great year
Congratulations, to all of the Raiders but a special shout out to the former NKy Panthers: Mitch, T-Lo, Jackson, Drew, Jake S, Jake R, Thomas & Tyler M!
-
NKy Junior/Senior All-Star Games - Monday, June 10th
Both games will be played @ Dixie. Junior game is scheduled for 5, followed by the Senior game ~7:30. Pretty sure each team gets 2 participants from each class. Does anyone know the participants? For Dixie, I'm pretty sure it will be Garrett Combs & Eric Elkus (Seniors) and Seth Caple (Junior) but I'm not sure who the other Junior will be. Last year Dixie only sent one Junior for some reason.
-
NKY baseball coaches association All-Star teams
Does anyone know when the NKy Senior/Junior All-Star game rosters will be announced?
-
NKY baseball coaches association All-Star teams
As far as Div II Coach of the year, I do not think Ryle's coach would be elegible. It appears (team's listed) that Div I are larger schools and Div II are smaller schools. Can anyone confirm? If that is the case, I think Mullins is a no brainer as is Maxwell for Div I.
-
NKY baseball coaches association All-Star teams
Again, no love for any of the Dixie guys. Amazing that not a single player from a Regional runner-up team makes it. I'm not saying that these players aren't deserving but reputation and publicity plays a pretty big role and Dixie needs to do a better job of getting their players attention. How about Caple © or Combs (P, yes I am biased)? Is it a typo or did Josh Cain make it as a pitcher and and outfielder? Again, not saying he isn't deserving but let's see him pull that off in a game, come on man!