Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Showcases

Featured Replies

What is the group's thoughts on showcases/camps? Are they money grabs, good opportunities, or somewhere in between?

 

Over the last year, I've shelled a decent amount of coin on showcases/camps. I THINK they are helpful in providing exposure - especially in the fall/winter when college coaches have the ability to attend.

 

Just like to get some thoughts from others.

I definitely think they are good for kids to attend. It's a chance for increased exposure like you mentioned plus the kids learn what coaches are looking for at the next level in addition to seeing how they measure up to other players.

It is my feeling that showcases/camps are as you say... somewhere in between. There are an endless number of them as you have become aware. My feeling is that if a kid is good enough to play at the next level he will be 'seen' even without attending any showcases/camps. It has been my personal experience that players get more exposure from summer ball and summer tournaments. I also shelled out a fair amount of cash for showcases/camps and have no definitive proof that any contact came from it. On the other hand, there were a number of contacts that resulted from tournament play. It is also my feeling that college/university sponsored showcases/camps are better than for profit company showcases/camps.

I would say that it depends on the kid. If your son can light up the gun or run like a deer, then I say showcases are probably a good investment. After all, those are the things that get noticed at these type of events.

 

As we all know, even the best hitters can have an off day, especially when you get maybe 10 swings from who knows what type of pitcher. So hitting can be a crap shoot.

 

If your son doesn't necessarily excel in the "combine" type setting, I'm not sure how much they can improve their stock by attending showcases. I believe the only real purpose to the showcases is that a college coach with limited time can narrow their search based on a players raw athletic ability.

 

Unfortunately, a kid who may be a better "player of the game" can easily be overlooked at such events.

I would say that it depends on the kid. If your son can light up the gun or run like a deer, then I say showcases are probably a good investment. After all, those are the things that get noticed at these type of events.

 

As we all know, even the best hitters can have an off day, especially when you get maybe 10 swings from who knows what type of pitcher. So hitting can be a crap shoot.

 

If your son doesn't necessarily excel in the "combine" type setting, I'm not sure how much they can improve their stock by attending showcases. I believe the only real purpose to the showcases is that a college coach with limited time can narrow their search based on a players raw athletic ability.

 

Unfortunately, a kid who may be a better "player of the game" can easily be overlooked at such events.

Other than that, they are money makers

Yes, some of the events get too big. Too many kids to get any visibility. However, some of the smaller college camps feel more like an official tryout. They offer college recruiting/financing seminars and a tour of the campus. Cost is lower than the camps you put them in when they were 12 and your player gets direct contact with the coaching staff for at the very least a 3 minute 1:1 assessment. IMO folks start losing money when they sign their player up for a camp at a school that requires a GPA/ACT score that is much higher than what the player is sporting. There are schools that truly use their camps as a recruiting tool and grades+talent is what they are looking for. Just do your homework before you write the check.

Agree with most of the above. I would try to pick a showcase that has limited players, i.e. 50-100 players top. I would also try to find a showcase that doesn't last that long, i.e. 3-4 hours top. Attending camps with 200 players that is over 7 hours long I think is a waste of time unless your kid runs a 6.5 and or can thrown mid-90's.

90% of showcases are strictly moneymakers... Most important aspect of getting recognized is when the player proactively reaches out to coaches through phone calls, emails, etc. Show personal interest in the school and let the coaches know your personality. When you build the foundation with personality, effort, and interest, the skills piece will be recognized either in workouts, games, etc.... not necessarily showcases.

If you are interested in a school:

Determine academics of school

Determine safety of school

Determine how much winning means to you

Determine how much playing right away means to you

Find the fit for you, not necessarily based only on "the coaches" fit.

 

Showcases ARE NOT the way to "get your foot in the door" somewhere..... Few are more than a waste of money.

I understand and respect many of the statements on here regarding the value of showcases. However, the showcases we held this fall at IU Southeast were very beneficial to us and the prospective student-athletes. We had 25 kids at each showcase and are now actively recruiting 10 of them. So out of 50 kids total, we are following up with 20% of them. Our camps were designed strictly for recruiting purposes, offering a workout and game, campus tour, session on admissions and financial aid, NAIA eligibility info, etc. I feel that we definitely gave out attendees the full experience and they left with an understanding of all that IUS has to offer. I do agree that the smaller showcases offer a better opportunity for players to be truly seen. I have been an instructor at some of the larger camps and it is very hard to stand out when herded through with 200 other players. The summer tournaments are also a great way for us to see kids perform as well. With a small staff and small recruiting budget, most colleges need to see as many kids in one place as possible.

  • Author

* First of all, thanks everyone for your thoughts. Especially, the coach from IUSE. This is all very helpful.

 

* I'd also like to get some thoughts on a related subject. What about the various evaluation and matching services?

 

* I am familiar with Prep Baseball Report. He has attended some of those and they seem to be well run. In theory, PBR seems like a solid way to promote the player in that it allows us to provide college coaches with evaluations of performance at PBR events, ranking, and videos. But, at the end of the day, I have no idea whether college coaches use it. I guess my question is, do college coaches review/subscribe to this site? And if they subscribe, do the rankings matter. Should you keep going to events to improve your ranking?

 

* I have also heard of Field Level. Anyone familiar with that matching service? Is it worth it? Are there other alternatives?

 

* Please note, we're not looking for a shortcut here. He's sending the e-mails/notes (and getting some responses), he's staying in touch, providing updates, attending camps, etc. I'm just wondering if these evaluation/matching services are another good way to provide exposure.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.