Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Thomas Magnum

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Thomas Magnum

  1. Throw out the Williamsburg game, it was a rival game and the Colonels always get the "A" game from the Jackets. When you look at how they played against Pineville, Harlan County and Iriquois, they were playing very well, in fact they should have won the Iriquois game, except for two turnovers with under 30 seconds to play. The Colonels have played tough schedule (in Florida) they have played the #1 team in Colorado, a top team from PA and a good team from WI, which has their record as less than stellar, but don't let all that fool you, they are getting better.
  2. Sometimes AAU basketball is for showing off individual talants of a player on a team, which was put together for that purpose. Football is much different, and I am not sure it would work.
  3. I think that South is the favorite but Whitley has closed the gap more than people expected. The Cards only won by 6 in London, and this one will be in Williamsburg, I think it should be a great game. St. John is a force in the middle and that is not news to anyone, but Whitley is developing several guys who are getting the job done. Storms has come a million miles from last year and Akins is improving, and is able to get to the basket. SL will try on pound it in to St. John and Whitley will try and attack the basket, if they can keep from getting too many shots blocked, and when they do get one blocked continue to attack they could have a chance.
  4. Good point, I think that Rodney Woods is one of the best coaches in the state not just the 12th region.
  5. I would expect that most coaches would have come out of zone prior to the fourth quarter if the opponent was hitting three pointers, or at least mixed up the defenses to shake the opponent. You can't blame that on youth that is just coaching or lack there of in this case. McCreary has had some VERY good records over the past few years, but very little post season success, once again that goes to coaching especially last year when they had a veteran team. It makes the casual fan wonder if maybe the reason they had the nice records was due to improved talant? McCreary's season will not hinge on this one game, so they still can have the nice record and make it to the region. Heck they don't even have to win the distirct, Lafayette when they won the state in '79 did not even win their district but won the region and sweet 16.
  6. Williamsburg was coming off a tough loss to cross town rival Whitley County, I am sure that they were down after the way that they lost, being on the road, and a pretty good Garrard team was a recipe for a loss.
  7. Williamsburg is struggling right now, after falling to Garrard. Corbin 88 W'Burg 59
  8. I would agree with you on that point for sure, but I think all teams are that way. In Whitley's case, they have no other choice than to play as a team. If they don't; 1. they won't win 2. they will find out just how comfortable the padded seats most schools have now are. 3. the team itself will take care of the problem. I am not sure that Coach Robinson has the respect of the players if they are blantly not running his plays. If that is true, then that player should not be on the floor.
  9. I think Cunningham could be a much better point if he had a little more disipline in his game. He really gives the defense fits slashing to the bucket, and I would agree that he is more a two than a one but on his team he is the guy who needs to be handling the ball.
  10. I don't know that he needs to take more shots, but I do think he needs to attack the basket more, with about the same amount of shots, which will soften the defense and open up the outside for the the other guys. It would also open it up for Storms, Crawford and Lowrie.
  11. I thought Williamsburg has a great game plan (packing in the zone) but as the game wore on, Whitley figured out how to score and started hitting some outside shots. Williamsburg never adjusted when Whitley started scoring. There was nobody else on the floor for Williamsburg that I would had take the last shot, Cunnigham had made several tough shots all night long and he has a knack for that. Unfortunately for the Jacket it did not fall. Williamsburg never really handled the pressure Whitley used in the second half, and coupled with the poor free throw shooting sealed their own fate. The game was Williamsburgs to lose and that is just what happened. In over time the 3 pointer by Storms ended the game, when that went in you could see Williamsburg hang their heads, they immediately turned it over and Whitley scored, which sealed it. I though Whitley did a good job holding the ball and not giving Williamsburg a chance to get back in it in overtime. I don't see them meeting in the district: Here is how it shakes out in my opinion; 1. Corbin 2. South or Whitley 3. Whitley or South 4. Williamsburg 1 plays 4 2 plays 3 So for them to play it would have to be in the championship, and I just don't see Williamsburg upsetting Corbin even on their home floor. (Although history does have a way or repeating it self sometimes, but not this year)
  12. I think it is the perfect time to play. Last year the weather was better than anyone could have hoped for. As for the kids, well if they want to be seen by college scouts this is a great opportunity, if they want to stay with their teams then it is not a problem either. Over 300 kids applied, I am sure there are many kids who would love the opportunity. Nobody is forcing anyone to play.
  13. I like the idea of both....unit and individual.
  14. I don't disagree with individual positions, I agree in fact, but it is easier to name the "Talant" players by name. How many times did you see highlights of linemen? I don't think that being on this "All Mountian Team" will help get a scholly, most colleges identify possible recruits long before now. Coaches should have sent out film on the kids who can play at the next level. The Border Bowl on the other hand could help the kids, as there will be alot of recruiters there and they might find that diamond in the rough, but most should already have their names out there. As for the school I follow there are some kids on it but not the line, individually they have some weak spots but as a unit they are pretty good and as a unit deserve that honor, I don't doubt there were better individuals so I could see doing both, but I like the take of doing it as a unit, and then as individuals too.
  15. For the past few years, the CFIT has earned the rep of being a homer tourny when it comes to officials. Unitl they bring in outside officials it will be tough to bring in good outside teams, ask Dixie Heights. The Varsity Club does a great job, Kudos to them for all the work that they do for all the kids at Corbin.
  16. I would say that part of the reason they do by unit and not individual positions is that it is somewhat subjective, and there are not many stats (or accurate stats) to go by. But as a unit you can see what they do. I would not call it a slap in the face, but it does maybe keep an indivudual on a team from being recognized who otherwise would not, on the other hand, it is a team and that unit has to work together or nobody will have success. Ask any good running back and he will give the love to his line, not individually but as a group. Most offensive linemen take pride in being nameless and faceless and being the ones who carry the load and clear the way, working shoulder to shoulder with their teammates, sacrificing themselves so the team can win, so what better way to recognize the group than as a unit. More than any other group the linemen have to work together, and have faith in the guy next to them. For the record: Whitley County First Team All Mountain Offensive line TE Chad Breeding, Senior Tackle: Dan Burnett, Junior Guard: Jordan Rickett, Senior Center: Chad Lennon, Senior Guard: Nathaniel Davis, Junior Tackle: D.J. Centers, Junior Backup Center: Kyle Moses, Junior Whitley County Third Team All Mountian Defense: Anthony Rider Cody Jones Chad Breeding Brandon Inman Justin Goins Nathaniel Davis John Thomas Josh Wynn Cody Bramlett Nate Wilson Dan Burnett Cody Bowling Alex Patrick Josh Richardson
  17. Campbell is a good player but only 81 carries hurt his chances. Only 777 yards for the season, when 1000 yards is the very least a back needs to have for consideration in most peoples minds. It is unfortunate but you could not put Campbell on with that few yards. Being on a balanced team obviously hurt him. He has nice stats defensively also but once again not mind boggling. There were several other LBs with equal or better stats on teams that were just as dominate. Actually on the defensive side he may have been a victim of his own success, as teams ran away from him or double teamed him. WYMT does great job covering Mountain teams but they are limited and who knows who did the nominations or selections, over all I thought the teams were about right, nobody is perfect though. Playing in the Border Bowl is certianly a nice honor and in the long run may help him more in securing a chance to play at the next level.
  18. I think he is doing just like his mentor used to do, start out the season with a large sub rotation, then close it down as the season goes on. Deaton while at Corbin did much the same thing. I too, don't think you can win playing ten or eleven, but at this point in the season you can find out who can help and who can't in game situations. This game is one where both teams either play well or play poorly. You hardly ever see a blow out even when one team is really bad or one team is really good.
  19. Yeah you may be right, but I think reading between the lines you could see that if could not play but could in some way contribute to the team then yeah I would rather be on the team with the ring. I would not transfere to get a ring, but if that was my school and I had been attending there I would stay. Some kids have more God-given gifts to work with than others, so being on that team and not playing would not be a bad thing. Which means more a 6A ring or a 1A ring. I guess it is all relative.
  20. I am a "Rudy" type of guy, anything to make the team better. If you are practicing on the scout squad then you are just as important. Remember there is no "I" in team and if the coaches are doing it right then everyone is a part of it, even if they don't see the field on Friday night. Contributing comes in all different forms.:thumb:
  21. When you are located on the Mountians of Eastern KY Bowling Green is Western Kentucky mostly because Western Kentucky University is there.......Wonder why they did not name WKU, Southern Kentucky University?? I look forward to the games there, although I wonder about Motels, Hotels and such. I heard several folks in Louisville wondering the same thing. I am not as familiar with BG as Louisville but I am sure that once people get used the change they may not want to change back.
  22. South Played well and Whitley played well, South made two less field goals than Whitley and shot 10 more free throws. Very physical game and one that was fun to watch. I look for Whitley to surprise some teams this year. Lebanion played about 5 minutes but as he comes along he will continue to improve and help the team get better. Whitley needs some true guards and once they develop them this season they will be solid. South is South, the only chink in the armour is the the Wright kid, he was a little slow and committed a couple of key fouls late. St. John is a player and he is the go to guy. They are well coached and execute better than some other teams with more talant, look for them to be in the mix come March.
  23. The Boarder Bowl teams are made up of players mainly from Eastern and Northern Kentucky, and Eastern Tenn. It is played at the University of the Cumberlands, this year the date is January 17th. Last year the weather was great and it was a great game with a huge crowd. If the weather co-operates this year should be even bigger. I would love to see the roster, I have heard that severel big name from TN have committed, along with some big names from KY. I googled it and came up with two articles from last year, but that was all I could find.
  24. It is "No Gain" or zero yards. You can't credit half yards. IF the same back carries for 2.5 yards on the next carry he has three yards, but if you credit him with a full yard on the previous carry on paper he would have four yards. You NEVER round up you always round down and you will always be closer to right. For the sake of accuracy "No Gain" or zero yards is the correct stat.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.