Corbin @ Williamsburg (01/09)

I hope you're right. I have always had a particular dislike for the Jackets. I guess it stems from my playing days. I don't know Coach Robinson or any of the players so its definately not personal. Don't get me wrong I wish them well as long as the Hounds aren't playing them. Oh well, I feel better now. My shrink says its better to express myself on occasion. Guess I can cancel my appearance on Dr. Phil. :lol:

Hounds need to come ready to play each and every game the rest of the way. Every team on their schedule will give them a run for the money. Williamsburg has always played well at home and will no doubt put a good fight on Friday. Coach Robinson is a solid young coach and will be one of the best in the area in a few years. He only needs some more experience and few players who will buy into his system of play. Hounds should be too much for the Jackets, but stranger upsets have happened. I look for the Hounds to continue to play unselfish and keep up the hardnosed defense that Coach P has installed. Williamsburg will play well. Hopefully both teams will play their best and the superior team wins in a hardfought and good game.

I remember when Williamsburg won the 50th District title in 1998 at home against a Corbin team that had Cory Sears and Josh Brock on it. Deaton's squad was favored, but Brent West did a fantastic job coaching while Derrick Davenport and Patrick Robinson helped the Yellow Jackets pull off the win. Remember that Bubba?

Of course, both teams lost the following week at Clay County in the opening round. Rockcastle beat Williamsburg, I believe, you can help me out there Bubba, while Corbin dropped the phantom foul called with no seconds left on the clock to Clay County.

Someone in another thread said the loss was in the semifinals, but they were wrong.

I'll never forget interviewing Deaton after the game and he said it was the biggest travisty in high school basketball. I agree.

Anyway that's enough for the walk down memory lane.

Williamsburg will give the Hounds all they want if Corbin comes in reading the press clippings and thumping their chest. I'm sure Corbin could probably play a bad game and still win based on talent alone but they'll have to work. I don't mean any disrespect for the Jackets but they are still lacking in the overall talent department. They do have fine players and are steadily improving each week. I think if Corbin comes to work, they can run away with it. Ordinarily, I'd say Corbin by about 40 but I think the starters will get more rest than usual on account of playing about 17 hours later up in Lexington.

Corbin by 21

I remember when Williamsburg won the 50th District title in 1998 at home against a Corbin team that had Cory Sears and Josh Brock on it. Deaton's squad was favored, but Brent West did a fantastic job coaching while Derrick Davenport and Patrick Robinson helped the Yellow Jackets pull off the win. Remember that Bubba?

Of course, both teams lost the following week at Clay County in the opening round. Rockcastle beat Williamsburg, I believe, you can help me out there Bubba, while Corbin dropped the phantom foul called with no seconds left on the clock to Clay County.

Someone in another thread said the loss was in the semifinals, but they were wrong.

I'll never forget interviewing Deaton after the game and he said it was the biggest travisty in high school basketball. I agree.

Anyway that's enough for the walk down memory lane.

I do recall that Jacket team. I think that Mark Vernon had a little to do with the 1998 team as well. 11 years is a long time ago, so I am sure the Jackets are sharpening their Stingers for this opportunity to take the Hounds on Friday. Coach Robinson may break out the 1998 uniforms and suit the team up if another district matchup takes place in the 50th tournament at Mountjoy gym. :D

I think that this one will go to the Hounds but by how much depends on which Williamsburg team shows up to play. If the Jackets show up ready to play as a team and stops the selfish type of play that they displayed during the Whitley game then they could make Corbin work for the win. But if the Jackets play out of control, take bad shots, and the guards do not play defense then Corbin will win by as much as they choose. I would like to see more of the Hoffman kid from Williamsburg. From what I saw the brief time he was in a game he has the ability to help especially on defense. I noticed in yesterday's paper that Williamsburg has 3 of the top 10 scorers in the Region ( Cunningham & Teague were tied for 2nd. and Taylor was 8th.). Add Pettit and Hoffman to the mix and I think that they could give Corbin a decent game. Williamsburg is a team that no one should ever under estimate until a couple of minutes into the game when enough time has past to see which team showed up to play.

A big district game for both teams. Corbin is working toward the #1 seed and Williamsburg is trying to avoid the #4 seed. If Williamsburg takes care of the ball, this could be a pretty close game.

Corbin 77 Willamsburg 62