Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Murray State 65 St. Mary's 51

Featured Replies

Pete Thamel summed it up best. The win today eliminated any questions about them earning a bid to the dance. A one-loss team.

  • Replies 107
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

 

My point is that anybody can beat anybody, for the most part. There isn't a huge talent difference between teams once you get below the top four or five squads. That's why Butler has made it to the finals the past two years.

 

The fact that Butler last year or Arizona in 1997 or Villanova in 1985 made it to the final game doesn't have anything to do with how a team should be seeded. That's all we're talking about.

I think Murray State is in now no matter what happens. As of right now, I would seed them 5-6. If they win out, I'd give them a solid look at 4. If they lose 1 more, I'd look at 6. If they lose 2 more, I'd go 8-9.

 

Head-to-head, I'm still not sure the Racers are a top 20 team. That being said, they have one loss and they are 4-0 against RPI 100. They have earned their ranking, IMO.

The fact that Butler last year or Arizona in 1997 or Villanova in 1985 made it to the final game doesn't have anything to do with how a team should be seeded. That's all we're talking about.

 

Arizona was a 4 seed in '97. It's not really a good grouping to put them in with 'Nova or Butler.

Still can't see Murray getting anything better than a #6 seed ... strength of schedule works against them, and two of their biggest wins (Southern Miss and Saint Mary's) came against teams missing a key player.

I think Murray State is in now no matter what happens. .

 

So you weren't completely sure before the St Mary's game?

I'd say at best a 4, and at worst a 6 seed. I just pray the committee doesn't screw the state of KY and put them in the same region as UK...

  • Author

Clyde if indeed you only lose two games and indeed you beat a couple of top 20 teams while doing it, you have got to be in. Quite frankly the NCAA Tourney needs teams like Murray, Butler and such to fuel the fire of the first and second round games.

 

Really it doesn't excite you if in the 1st round 1-16 game it's close or do you prefer to see a 40 point blow out?

 

The TV ratings (and lets face it that's the reason for the match-ups) are great when there is a little guy (small mid major) in the mix as everybody loves Cinderella! Murray is so far everybody Cinderella, they were in prior to the St. Mary game but that win assured they are in!

 

BTW if indeed they win out and indeed win the OVC they will IMO be a #3 seed. The OVC in the last two years won both of their 1st round games and they beat SEC and Big East teams!

Clyde if indeed you only lose two games and indeed you beat a couple of top 20 teams while doing it, you have got to be in. Quite frankly the NCAA Tourney needs teams like Murray, Butler and such to fuel the fire of the first and second round games.

 

 

Wrong debate. Of course they should be in. I just don't think they've earned anything higher than 6 at best and most likely a 7 to 8. That's the debate.

 

However, I think recent years have been kind to mids so I can see them getting some love and being a 5.

So you weren't completely sure before the St Mary's game?

 

I felt like they deserved a bid but I'm not sure the powers that be would have agreed had they lost to St. Mary's and then dropped another OVC game.

It is tough evaluating where MSU should be. It has been my position for some time that each year there are a group of teams that are elite (maybe 5 schools) then about 40 teams that are not separated by all that much. MSU is in that grouping. No seed from a 4-10 would shock me, but I cannot say with whatever seed they receive they will have not earned it or be undeserving if it is a high seed. The difficult part of what you are arguing Clyde is that MSU can do absolutely nothing because of their conference to make you believe they are worthy of a high seed unless they make a deep run in a one-and-done tournament. Some RPI rankings had MSU as high as 3 before conference play started and then it (legitimately) plummeted. The RPI is a reflection of who they have played a lot more than how they have played.

 

I believe Murray deserves a 5-6 seed. I still have my doubts but this has been a tremendous ride.

Being a 1980 graduate of Murray State and as we watched the game Saturday night, we were wondering when a team comes to play Murray or Dickie V comes to Murray, where do they fly into? In 1980 Murray had not much and were not very good in 1979 but got much better in 1980 Thanks to Ron Greene. Can anyone help?

Being a 1980 graduate of Murray State and as we watched the game Saturday night, we were wondering when a team comes to play Murray or Dickie V comes to Murray, where do they fly into? In 1980 Murray had not much and were not very good in 1979 but got much better in 1980 Thanks to Ron Greene. Can anyone celp?
During the telecast, the announcers mentioned that St. Mary's flew into Nashville, and practiced there, before coming to Murray.

 

I think there is no doubt that Murray is the NCAA's.

 

I wonder what Indiana State's seed was when Bird took them to the championship game?

Edited by tcjkbt

I'll tell you one thing for sure. I don't care what seed they are, no team in the tournament wants to face the Racers in Nashville. If they get first two games there, watch out.

Their RPI will hurt them. But I think they will probably get a 4 or 5 seed. Would like to see them in the Midwest with a first round game in Louisville or Nashville.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.