Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If Tim Tebow was an Atheist

Featured Replies

  • Author
Tebow is a "lightening rod" subject for a myriad of reasons. Most athletes that are "lightening rods" are villains of some kind. He is the opposite. Normally their play puts them above the rest. But his play is just down right ugly to watch -- most of the time.

 

The two things that can get people riled up is religion and politics. To many he exemplifies everything right with religion/Christianity, and to many he exemplifies everything wrong with religion/Christianity.

 

I truly believe subconsciously there are millions of people hoping that Tebow fails off the field. The on field performance will speak for itself or even out over time.

 

 

I would be interested in seeing him fail off the field in some manner just to see the public reaction and to see his response.

  • Replies 72
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lebron's height at least helps his play. :D

 

Tebow's faith and character are more instrumental in HIS success, than LeBron's height is for his. Tebow and LeBron actually share in the fact that so many people want to see them fail miserably.

  • Author
Maybe people have finally gotten tired of the drama that is modern professional sports (I know I have) and like someone who for a change appears to be a good person on and off the field. As someone on the radio said today today, Tebow isn't famous because he facilitated dog fights or shot himself in a bar late at night and people find that refreshing.

 

I think that is a lot of it. I have never chosen who I root for on the field based on what they did off of it.

  • Author
Uh God wouldn't let an atheist win football games...

 

Joking aside, probably not. Maybe.

 

 

:lol: :lol:

What if he made it known the same way he does about his faith?

 

If one person in the media knew he was an atheist he'd be asked about it eventually.

 

Absolutely not. I just can't remember hearing about very many athlete's faith, whether they were believer's or not.

  • Author
Absolutely not. I just can't remember hearing about very many athlete's faith, whether they were believer's or not.

 

Me either. Never has an athlete's faith entered the picture the way Tebow's faith does.

 

 

He has always struck me as the most genuine and devout celebrity Christian I have seen. I do wonder if it is an act. It certainly doesn't seem like it is.

Tebow has a few things going for him to be beloved, One he talks the talk and walks the walk, very rare today in the area of out spoken christians. Two, on the football field he is a mans mans, in a generation of sissies, whiners, and free-loaders in sports, he goes hard and is physical in possibly the most soft decade of the QB! Three the underdog....who wins...he was supposed to be the biggest flop, but he is not yet. Four...he never complains, or points the finger. Five he does not back down or engage with his haters.

 

Even if you don't like him or even hate him most people respect him...

 

Now as for the question...if he was an athiests???? If he had the things above going for him he would known and loved by many for his on feild attitude and good services...however the Christian media and networks would not be involved, and he would not be a popular thing for kids, newscasters, and others to immulate and glorify...so no way!!

I would be interested in seeing him fail off the field in some manner just to see the public reaction and to see his response.
The public reaction would be a collective laugh followed by "I told you so, hypocrites."
The public reaction would be a collective laugh followed by "I told you so, hypocrites."

 

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Tebow has some sort of failure. I know we all make jokes about Tebow=God, Tebow=Jesus, etc. but the guy is human. And from what I've heard and seen him say, he seems like a transparent Christian, meaning he acknowledges his imperfections & his personal need for redemption. What people need to realize is that he is imperfect just like all of us. Lest we forget that the man in Scripture that God refers to as "a man after my own heart" had an adulterous affair & then arranged for the husband of the woman involved to be killed.

 

We humans have a way of doing stupid things & falling hard on our faces. Tim Tebow is not exempt from that. I think his supporters and detractors, Christians and non-Christians, need to remember that.

If Tim Tebow had this exact same season and was a known atheist would he be as beloved?

 

I say no.

 

I say he would be vilified and people would say things like, "imagine how good he would be if he believed in God."

 

I assume he is nearly universally liked by Christians, so he wouldn't have that big fan base if he were an atheist. If he was outspoken about being an atheist, like say...Stephen Hawking, then he'd probably alienate every other religion that believes in a god.

 

I think you're correct. He wouldn't be as beloved.

 

I doubt anyone (serious) would make the final comment you suggest, but who knows?

 

So, what is the point to be taken from this hypothetical question?

  • Author
I assume he is nearly universally liked by Christians, so he wouldn't have that big fan base if he were an atheist. If he was outspoken about being an atheist, like say...Stephen Hawking, then he'd probably alienate every other religion that believes in a god.

 

I think you're correct. He wouldn't be as beloved.

 

I doubt anyone (serious) would make the final comment you suggest, but who knows?

 

So, what is the point to be taken from this hypothetical question?

 

None. Just curious of people's thoughts.

I only have four. You, Clyde, Jim, and I.

 

 

Ehhem... 5

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.