January 5, 201214 yr Sorry to rain on the parade, but the Bengals are a joke-before, now and will be in the future. Without a doubt the worst run club in the NFL. Ever see the nerd in the class be the homecoming king??? And for the record, I support Mr. Brown's business acumen. He is not a football guy. And for his head coach, well maybe he will get his first playoff win this weekend. Embarassing.
January 5, 201214 yr Nerds usually end up highly successful so not the best analogy. :lol: I still agree with your first sentence.
January 6, 201214 yr Author Where I work if someone does 10 things right out of 100 he's not patted on the back. He's more than likely shown the door. That's not going to happen with Mr. Brown. My hope would be that this year has been a humbling experience for Mr. Brown. He owns a winning team and still had the worst attendance in the league. The only one who can take the blame for that is him. The fans were not buying tickets because of him, no one else. Maybe after all these years he learned a little something. Just maybe... :confused: As a fan even though I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE for him to do things right 90% of the time, I am going to be happy when he does a few things right 10% of the team. Because that is ten times better than what we have been use to for 19 years. Trust me I know there is much more things better he can do, howvever I also realized that he is as hard headed as they come. I mean I think he showed that with Palmer. Most owners would have given in and traded him before the season, than take a chance at never getting anything in return and just letting him retire. However he was going to be content to let him do that until the PERFECT offer came along. He is not going to change most of his ways no matter what we fans do. He is more likely to try to move the team than change his ways. So if I am going to be a fan I have to live with it, there is not much I can do to change things. The changes we have seen this year, and some reduced prices are probably going to be the biggest changes we see. So I am going to be happy with that since I know no matter what we probably wouldn't see any big changes. So a little change is better than no change at all. I am not going to let him dictate who I like or what I do with my money, I am a Bengals fan. I am going to go to games because I want to cheer the team I like on, and plus it is just a good time. Yes I am giving him money by doing that, but in the end it really won't matter because nothing would change. So might as well enjoy doing something I enjoy doing like being at games with friends and cheering them on.
January 6, 201214 yr If Bill Frieder can win the AP's national college hoops coach of the year award, it makes perfect sense for Mike Brown to get the NFL exec of the year award. Just don't go around thinking that those awards somehow are validation that those lowlights were actually good at their job on a long-term basis.
January 6, 201214 yr As a fan even though I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE for him to do things right 90% of the time, I am going to be happy when he does a few things right 10% of the team. Because that is ten times better than what we have been use to for 19 years. Trust me I know there is much more things better he can do, howvever I also realized that he is as hard headed as they come. I mean I think he showed that with Palmer. Most owners would have given in and traded him before the season, than take a chance at never getting anything in return and just letting him retire. However he was going to be content to let him do that until the PERFECT offer came along. He is not going to change most of his ways no matter what we fans do. He is more likely to try to move the team than change his ways. So if I am going to be a fan I have to live with it, there is not much I can do to change things. The changes we have seen this year, and some reduced prices are probably going to be the biggest changes we see. So I am going to be happy with that since I know no matter what we probably wouldn't see any big changes. So a little change is better than no change at all. I am not going to let him dictate who I like or what I do with my money, I am a Bengals fan. I am going to go to games because I want to cheer the team I like on, and plus it is just a good time. Yes I am giving him money by doing that, but in the end it really won't matter because nothing would change. So might as well enjoy doing something I enjoy doing like being at games with friends and cheering them on. The fact that the rest of the fans didn't just accept things and give him a pass like you is a lot of the reason for the reduced ticket prices and the buy one get one free deal. Fans don't have to live with it, and they shouldn't. He's run the team horribly for 20 years, 2 or 3 decent moves don't make up for that. Let him string together 3 or 4 seasons of good moves and better treatment of his fan base and you'll see people give him credit. Until then, I don't blame them for continuing to complain.
January 6, 201214 yr The fact that the rest of the fans didn't just accept things and give him a pass like you is a lot of the reason for the reduced ticket prices and the buy one get one free deal. Fans don't have to live with it, and they shouldn't. He's run the team horribly for 20 years, 2 or 3 decent moves don't make up for that. Let him string together 3 or 4 seasons of good moves and better treatment of his fan base and you'll see people give him credit. Until then, I don't blame them for continuing to complain. Nice post, totally agree
January 6, 201214 yr They didn't mention the fact that he had to sell two tickets for the price of one to ensure a sellout for the team's final game of the season that determined a playoff spot? A game they lost and still backed into the playoffs. Can't agree with this statement. The rules stipulate that the 4 division winners and the next 2 best records qualify for the playoffs. The Bengals qualified by the league rules.
January 6, 201214 yr Author The fact that the rest of the fans didn't just accept things and give him a pass like you is a lot of the reason for the reduced ticket prices and the buy one get one free deal. Fans don't have to live with it, and they shouldn't. He's run the team horribly for 20 years, 2 or 3 decent moves don't make up for that. Let him string together 3 or 4 seasons of good moves and better treatment of his fan base and you'll see people give him credit. Until then, I don't blame them for continuing to complain. No most of the fans who became fed up with it were people who use to be season ticket holders. Which honestly I could understand, it would suck putting all that money into the team every year, especially when its been mostly bad years. This team was suppose to suck this year and people got fed up with it, and didn't want to waste their money anymore. If people knew at the end of last season that this team would do well like it has, I bet you it doesn't lose as many season ticket holders as they did and they still sell out more games. You act like I give him money every single season. I have never had season tickets, one reason is because of money, and secondily because you never know with the Bengals. It would suck to put all that money into the team and they end up winning 4 games. I believe I went to two games last year and that was at the beginning of the year. This year I have gone to six, and if you remember I thought this team would do well so that is why I went. Then they kept doing well so I kept going. So I could understand giving up season tickets because with Mike Brown there has been a better chance at losing than winning. However when they are winning like they have this year, there is no reason not to support them and go to the games. Make it based on how they are doing, if they are doing well go and support them. If they are sucking then don't go and I woudn't blame people at all for it. It's a lot of money to watch a team lose. If people want to get back at Mike Brown don't buy season tickets, don't guarntee him sell outs. However if the team is doing well then buy single games and support the team. It is good money invested if they are winning.
January 6, 201214 yr Mike Brown is a good guy. He does alot of charity work. Nice to his family. He was able to parlay his good fortune of inheriting an NFL team into an even bigger fortune. Great businessman. Stinks at football. The Bengals won their last playoff game against the Houston Oilers 41-14 on January 6, 1991. Paul Brown passed on August 5, 1991. In the 7300 + days since Paul Brown's death the Bengals have not won a playoff game. 1991 3-11, 1992 5-11, 1993 3-13, 1994 3-13, 1995 7-9, 1996 8-8, 1997 7-9, 1998 3-13, 1999 4-12, 2000 4-12, 2001 4-12, 2002 2-14, 2003 8-8, 2004 8-8, 2005 11-5 (lost in the wild card playoff round to the team from Pittsburgh), 2006 8-8, 2007 7-9, 2008 4-11, 2009 10-6 (lost in the wild card playoff round to the Jets), 2010 4-12, 2011 10-6. Can't tell you how much I wish he would take over the football program at Highlands.
January 6, 201214 yr I think you can credit the Bengals "turnaround" directly to one of the weakest schedules in NFL history. Their 9 wins were over teams with a combined record of 47-97, one team with a winning record (9-7 Tenn), 0-6 vs. playoff teams, and they backed into the playoffs thanks to KC or Tebow (take your pick). I agree they are young and more exciting, but we've been there before. I credit the team for getting rid of some of their malcontents, but Brown is the one who brought those guys here, thinking he was getting a deal and smarter than the rest of the GM's. The Oakland deal was far less brilliance than sheer luck, that a team with slightly more incompetent management who felt they could win this year, had their QB go down at the right time?? If they continue to improve the next couple years, which they should with the increased high draft picks; then maybe I'll change my opinion; but 20 years of getting bashed in the head have made me cynical when it comes to Mikey Boy!!
January 6, 201214 yr The Bengals have gone 124-215 in those 339 games since their last playoff win (.366). Ouch.
January 6, 201214 yr Author I think you can credit the Bengals "turnaround" directly to one of the weakest schedules in NFL history. Their 9 wins were over teams with a combined record of 47-97, one team with a winning record (9-7 Tenn), 0-6 vs. playoff teams, and they backed into the playoffs thanks to KC or Tebow (take your pick). So see that is why that bolded stat does not mean as much. Considering a team like the Jets who also were fighting for the playoffs beat teams with a combined record of 45-95. They didn't beat a single team with a winning record, which also means they lose to teams with losing records unlike the Bengals. The Titans record for teams it beat was 49-95 so slightly better than the Bengals. However they also had losses to the Colts and Jags to bad teams. So even other playoff teams who were in the hunt had schedules that ended up not being that great. Not being that good of a teams, and actually losing to bad teams. So the Bengals turnaround is not just the schedule, the whole AFC was down this year. So the Bengals did improve while other teams went down, which still then is the Bengals becoming better.
January 6, 201214 yr No most of the fans who became fed up with it were people who use to be season ticket holders. Which honestly I could understand, it would suck putting all that money into the team every year, especially when its been mostly bad years. This team was suppose to suck this year and people got fed up with it, and didn't want to waste their money anymore. If people knew at the end of last season that this team would do well like it has, I bet you it doesn't lose as many season ticket holders as they did and they still sell out more games. You act like I give him money every single season. I have never had season tickets, one reason is because of money, and secondily because you never know with the Bengals. It would suck to put all that money into the team and they end up winning 4 games. I believe I went to two games last year and that was at the beginning of the year. This year I have gone to six, and if you remember I thought this team would do well so that is why I went. Then they kept doing well so I kept going. So I could understand giving up season tickets because with Mike Brown there has been a better chance at losing than winning. However when they are winning like they have this year, there is no reason not to support them and go to the games. Make it based on how they are doing, if they are doing well go and support them. If they are sucking then don't go and I woudn't blame people at all for it. It's a lot of money to watch a team lose. If people want to get back at Mike Brown don't buy season tickets, don't guarntee him sell outs. However if the team is doing well then buy single games and support the team. It is good money invested if they are winning. Feel free to do that. The majority of Bengals fans aren't. The money from single game sales goes to Brown as well.
January 6, 201214 yr Author Feel free to do that. The majority of Bengals fans aren't. The money from single game sales goes to Brown as well. Really? Wow I had no idea single game seats went to him too.... He is not going to change much about his ways I don't know what is so hard to understand about that. I even agree I understand why people wouldn't want to have season tickets, because that is guarnteed money your giving up no matter what if the Bengals suck or not. That is why I said do the single game tickets stuff, your not giving him money to watch a bad product. If he actually has a team on the field doing well like this year, then people should buy tickets and go support the team. If they suck then you haven't wasted your money, because just don't go. You make the same statement by doing that, season tickets is the only guarntee money he for sure will make from fans. Make him have to put a product on the field that wins, for people to come to games. Then the times he does, go out and support them. Not a hard concept. That does both sends a message to him, but also gives us what we want. And that is to only give money to him for when he gives a good product.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.