December 6, 201114 yr Jair Jurrjens Gio Gonzalez James Shields You're calling those 3 guys #1 starters? Shields had a great season last year but that came after 2 years with ERAs of 4.14 and 5.18. In 2010 he led the league in hits allowed, homeruns allowed and earned runs allowed. Gonzalez ERA looks nice since he pitches in that giant stadium in Oakland but his career WHIP is 1.410. He does not have good home/road splits. That WHIP will get him killed in GABP. Jurrjens has started 20 and 23 games the last 2 seasons. You want to make one of those guys your ace?
December 6, 201114 yr Sounds like Marlins are serious in their pursuit of Pujols. Apparently 10 yr offer on the table.
December 6, 201114 yr You're calling those 3 guys #1 starters? Shields had a great season last year but that came after 2 years with ERAs of 4.14 and 5.18. In 2010 he led the league in hits allowed, homeruns allowed and earned runs allowed. Gonzalez ERA looks nice since he pitches in that giant stadium in Oakland but his career WHIP is 1.410. He does not have good home/road splits. That WHIP will get him killed in GABP. Jurrjens has started 20 and 23 games the last 2 seasons. You want to make one of those guys your ace? 4.14 ERA is nothing to complain about considering it's going to be inflated from facing the Yankees, Sox, and Jays as often as they did. Gio and Jair are both young and still growing as pitchers. Jurrjens is definitely an ace if he's healthy. If I'm the Reds and I can package Alonso, Volquez/Bailey, and another prospect or two for any of them, I do it without hesitation.
December 6, 201114 yr 4.14 ERA is nothing to complain about considering it's going to be inflated from facing the Yankees, Sox, and Jays as often as they did. Gio and Jair are both young and still growing as pitchers. Jurrjens is definitely an ace if he's healthy. If I'm the Reds and I can package Alonso, Volquez/Bailey, and another prospect or two for any of them, I do it without hesitation. That 4.14 ERA was in 2009 it went up another run in 2010. Shields threw 249 innings last season and has topped 200 the last 5 seasons. He turns 30 this month and you would have to think he'd start regressing from his outstanding 2011 instead of maintaining or improving on it. He's signed through 2012 with a team option for 2013 and 2014. He'd probably come the cheapest of the three but I don't think you're getting him for Alonso and Volquez or Bailey. The other two come with huge red flags as well. Gonzalez has walked 92 and 91 batters the last 2 seasons. You can't get away with that in GABP. Jurjjens in a huge injury risk. Again, what about these 3 makes them number 1 starters? Even if they were you aren't getting them for that combination.
December 6, 201114 yr Author Sounds like Marlins are serious in their pursuit of Pujols. Apparently 10 yr offer on the table. ^ Wow. Double Wow. :ylsuper::ylsuper::ylsuper:
December 6, 201114 yr Hanging point for Pujols is the "full no-trade clause" which tells me the Marlins will repeat history, buy a great lineup to win a World Series, the sell off everyone. Anyone who signs Pujols for 10 years will regret it down the road.
December 6, 201114 yr That 4.14 ERA was in 2009 it went up another run in 2010. Shields threw 249 innings last season and has topped 200 the last 5 seasons. He turns 30 this month and you would have to think he'd start regressing from his outstanding 2011 instead of maintaining or improving on it. He's signed through 2012 with a team option for 2013 and 2014. He'd probably come the cheapest of the three but I don't think you're getting him for Alonso and Volquez or Bailey. The other two come with huge red flags as well. Gonzalez has walked 92 and 91 batters the last 2 seasons. You can't get away with that in GABP. Jurjjens in a huge injury risk. Again, what about these 3 makes them number 1 starters? Even if they were you aren't getting them for that combination. Their numbers make them #1 starters. Where did I say that they would get them for only those two? In the post you quoted, I said "If I'm the Reds and I can package Alonso, Volquez/Bailey, and another prospect or two"
December 6, 201114 yr Author Hanging point for Pujols is the "full no-trade clause" which tells me the Marlins will repeat history, buy a great lineup to win a World Series, the sell off everyone. Anyone who signs Pujols for 10 years will regret it down the road.Since Loria has owned them the Marlins have never offered a full no-trade on multiple year contracts. It's just their company policy and also is the hanging point for Buehrle too. Finally, all indications are that your "belief" is totally wrong unless things go horribly wrong in Miami...
December 6, 201114 yr Author Well obviously there would need to be more than just that, but that would be a good starting point....Your original post made it seem like that's all you needed. I don't see anything in this that says there would "obviously" need to be more than just that. Who has said Alonso alone would bring back a #1? I would think they'll try to package him and someone like Volquez and/or Bailey...:idunno:
December 6, 201114 yr ^Usually package deals involve more than 2 players. I even said in that post and/or meaning potentially both Volquez and Bailey...
December 6, 201114 yr That "company policy" is what allows them to sell off all the players after the Series. Not saying ingot a problem with cause I don't. It's just how they prefer to do business.
December 6, 201114 yr Author That "company policy" is what allows them to sell off all the players after the Series. Not saying ingot a problem with cause I don't. It's just how they prefer to do business.They just like to have the control to make any trade they want. Would it give them that ability? Sure. But that's not the reason it is done.
December 6, 201114 yr Their numbers make them #1 starters. Where did I say that they would get them for only those two? In the post you quoted, I said "If I'm the Reds and I can package Alonso, Volquez/Bailey, and another prospect or two" The only one of those 3 that have #1 numbers is Jurjjens and he hasn't pitched in over 23 games the past 2 seasons. Gonzalez numbers are largely due to his home stadium and Shields had two average to below average years before last year. None of those guys is an ace.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.