December 6, 201114 yr I don't see the Cardinals matching the 10 yr deal though. The Cardinals don't have to go big here, they've won more than any other NL team in the past 10 yrs or so. That's all been with Pujols and TLR. One of those pieces is already missing next season, and the second is questionable. If they fail to resign Pujols they may have problems. But that'll also be 25 million they can spend elsewhere.
December 6, 201114 yr Author I don't see the Cardinals matching the 10 yr deal though. The Cardinals don't have to go big here, they've won more than any other NL team in the past 10 yrs or so.If the Marlins and Pujols get past the no-trade I feel the Cardinals will have to match it if they want to keep him.
December 6, 201114 yr Author Can't see Pujols signing a contract without a no trade clause.From Buster Olney: Source: there is optimism that Marlins and Pujols' agent will work through hurdle regarding no-trade clause. If so, all bets are off.
December 6, 201114 yr That's all been with Pujols and TLR. One of those pieces is already missing next season, and the second is questionable. If they fail to resign Pujols they may have problems. But that'll also be 25 million they can spend elsewhere. Very true. My point is I feel like the Marlins are making a splash. They are trying to appeal to their fans and everyone. The Cardinals are a storied organization with 11 World Series. If the offer is too much to over come there not going to get bullied into matching it and do something they'll regret just for the sake of making a splash.
December 6, 201114 yr Author Very true. My point is I feel like the Marlins are making a splash. They are trying to appeal to their fans and everyone. The Cardinals are a storied organization with 11 World Series. If the offer is too much to over come there not going to get bullied into matching it and do something they'll regret just for the sake of making a splash.But, Pujols has been the face of the franchise for a decade. That will mean something to the Cardinals without a doubt. Until now, they didn't have much competition to keep him so it will be interesting to see how they react now that there is competition.
December 6, 201114 yr But, Pujols has been the face of the franchise for a decade. That will mean something to the Cardinals without a doubt. Until now, they didn't have much competition to keep him so it will be interesting to see how they react now that there is competition. No doubt, and there is no denying from me they will take a hit. I think projected numbers said they will lose 200,000 fans in attendance next year.
December 6, 201114 yr Author Can't see Pujols signing a contract without a no trade clause.Btw, for the record I was joking around about them trading Pujols for Miggy. I know 100% that isn't happening.
December 6, 201114 yr ^I've heard a few things about that but nothing substantial. Walt seems to think they will have something by the end of the week. (Not that trade, just in general)
December 6, 201114 yr Author According to everyone at the winter meetings, Loria, Samson, Beinfest, and Hill just went to meet with Pujols agent.
December 6, 201114 yr Author The 2012 Miami Marlins opening lineup: SS Jose Reyes CF Emilio Bonifacio 3B Hanley Ramirez 1B Albert Pujols RF Big Mike Stanton LF Logan Morrison C John Buck 2B Omar Infante That would be NASTY! That looks like a video game lineup I've made when I turned the Fair Trade feature off.
December 6, 201114 yr @JimBowdenESPNxm: "Joe Maddon just told us @mlbnetworkradio that Yonder Alonso's name has come up in mtgs & they realize they may have to trade one of their SP"
December 6, 201114 yr No doubt, and there is no denying from me they will take a hit. I think projected numbers said they will lose 200,000 fans in attendance next year. Financially then, the Cardinals come out ahead. Assume $30 per person X 200K + $6M. Savings of $14M.
December 6, 201114 yr @JimBowdenESPNxm: "Joe Maddon just told us @mlbnetworkradio that Yonder Alonso's name has come up in mtgs & they realize they may have to trade one of their SP" Why would they trade Alonso when we all know the Reds are going to lose Votto in 2 years max? Where will that leave their 1B situation?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.