Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Johnson Central's Coach Matney

Featured Replies

I was told that after going up 44-0 after a touchdown in the 3rd quarter he instructed his team to take a knee on the XP to keep it from going to a running clock. If that is true, then that has to be the most classless act I've ever heard a coach pulling. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

  • Replies 52
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the fact that he left Jude in a blowout last year to go for the rushing record I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone. I refuse to take up for the man after he cried about not fulfilling his contract with Boyle County after we thumped them 49-0.

Based on the fact that he left Jude in a blowout last year to go for the rushing record I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone. I refuse to take up for the man after he cried about not fulfilling his contract with Boyle County after we thumped them 49-0.

 

:thumb:

While I have enjoyed my visits to Johnson County and Johnson Central HS, where I have found their fans truly understand what the word Hospitality means, I hope they understand that I am not a fan of their coach and or what he brings to the game of HS football in Kentucky. What he brings certainly isn't sportsmanship, or even class.

 

It has always puzzled me how such wonderful, caring, and kind people allow a person like Matney to coach their young men!

 

Please, tell me what I and others are missing about the man, that you all see in him?

TOG, what has he done that has been classless in the past? I've not heard about this before.

TOG, what has he done that has been classless in the past? I've not heard about this before.

 

Do some research on BGP's jb, I think you will find a lot. CovCath 38 Johnson Central 14 in 2006 is a good place to start! I believe there are three different thread about the game and comments.

I'm pretty sure it happened, but can't say 100%.

 

Jim's shenanigans are pretty tiresome. He is not well liked among coaching fraternity and he probably deserves most of it if not all. He has done some things that I thought were pretty bonehead and not very sportsmanlike. But I still like him as a person and I call him a friend.

 

While not against the letter of the rules, doing stuff like taking a knee to avoid the running clock violates the spirit of sportsmanship. The only apparent reason is to let JJ Jude get more yards. Nothing illegal about that, and knowing Jim, he did it in his mind to help the kid and he really loves his players. I don't think he realizes the negative connotations that follow actions like that. That is all speculation though as I have no idea what his thought process was.

 

I will say he is one of the most intensely competitive people I know, extremely motivated to succeed. Sometimes people like that have tunnel vision to the the little things that are obvious to the rest of us.

 

 

JB, a good thread to look up would be any thread dealing with the Johnson Central / Woodford Co game from 2010.

The Woodford game last year. He kept letting Woodford score so the running clock would not set in and Jude could get the all time state rushing record for a game. Obviously the guy is trying to get Jude the all time rushing record for a career.

I don't know coach well enough and I'm not going to comment on him either way. I keep seeing Jude's name pop up and I will say after watching him play vs some REALLY good competition he is a phenominal high school running back that deserves all the accolades he gets. Hate to see him get drug through the mud. He's a high school kid that has obviously worked his tail end off if you look at what he's done in the weight room. His pads are always moving forward!

If true then it's pathetic. It was pathetic enough to see Jude just about collapse after scoring his last TD against Woodford County.

It's true I was there.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.