September 12, 201115 yr Bingo! I'm not nit picking, trust me. I have gave Romo a fair ammount of time before I ever jumped him and talked trash. There comes a time though when enough is enough, last night was that point for me. I didn't really like Romo going into last night, but after the game I am in a near hatrid mode when it comes to Romo, he almost makes me see red. Put it this way, it was bad enough in the off season (my like for Romo) that I honestly wanted Jerry to go and try to make a play on Vince Young. He is a Texas guy and whether you like him or not, he wins ball games. Now I know most people don't think Vince Young is a quality starter in the NFL, but thats just how you could base my like of Romo, I was seriously wanting VY in the fold over Romo. After last night, my desire for Romo to be Dallas' starting QB just went further south. I mean at first I liked him, I really did. After going through so many dud QB's after Aikman, Romo was finally a glimmer of hope, someone who was young, energetic, and could make plays. From that time on though my like for him has went rock bottom. You watch when all these things happen and when he makes these big mistakes in big games. He's not pulling a Manning or Brady and fuming on the sidelines and throwing water coolers, no instead he is just smiling with that big goofy smile like nothings wrong. He never seems to indicate that he cares, he is always all smiles and that kills me. There comes a time when you get serious about what your doing and seem to actually care that you made these huge mistakes, that time never really seems to come for Romo. He could throw five picks and fumble three times and you could get a sideline shot during the next defensive possession and I would bet he would have that same goofy, smirky smile on his face. That bothers me more than anything. I specifically recall a moment in the game where Romo did something stupid and he had a huge grin on his face. I can't remember the mistake he made, just that my friends and I discussed the fact that he thought it was funny. On a side note, last night I was all for Romo's unclutch-ness to come shining through.
September 12, 201115 yr I specifically recall a moment in the game where Romo did something stupid and he had a huge grin on his face. I can't remember the mistake he made, just that my friends and I discussed the fact that he thought it was funny. On a side note, last night I was all for Romo's unclutch-ness to come shining through. The major moment I remember a grin was when they snapped the ball early on the play with 8 seconds left in the game. It moved the scenario from looking to get a quick strike down the middle and kick a FG to a desperation play for a TD. He was grinning following that play. I don't know who was at fault there.
September 12, 201115 yr Maybe the sequence was a little out of whack but you have to take into account my mindset during all of this. The blocked punt was a biggie, but those types of things happen and you can't do much about it. Jets just brought a fierce rush up the middle and Cowboys didn't have enough people back to pick up the free rush. It's just one of those things. It did swing the momentum big time, but in football you have things like this happen sometimes and there's nothing you can do other than watch in horror as it unfolds. I credit Romo and Garrett's horrendous goal line play calling more for the loss than I ever will the blocked punt TD. Can't discredit a heck of a play and a heck of a play call/design by the Jets just to give the Cowboys a good excuse of why they let the game slip. No, those types of things don't just happen. I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that you never allow a guy to run freely up the middle to block a punt. You cannot allow that to happen. I can just as easily say that sometimes things like a goal line fumble happen when you are trying to make a play to win the game. Romo was as much responsible for Dallas being in that position to win the game as he was them losing the lead. I absolutely think it is fair to question his decision making at the end of the game. But it was and is a team effort to lose it.
September 12, 201115 yr Author With everything that has been said though I will say this, Romo does give the Cowboys the best chance to win ballgames from the QB position. I love Jon Kitna and he should have been a career long starter instead of having to endure a back up role for most of his career, but at this point in his career he is a slow moving pocket passer. With the Cowboys newly revamped O-Line, they need a QB that can make plays outside of the pocket. The line did good last night, but its not the big, oversized, gigantic, trudging ahead line that it used to be. Now they have some athleticism and they rely on much more pulling and counter type line calls. Even though they are much quicker, they can still get beat by a strong bull rush sometimes thus requiring a QB that can get outside the pocket/move around in a shifting pocket when the time comes for it. Kitna could win some games, Kitna could get the ball down the field, but I think Romo can do it better. If Romo would just take what is given to him and not try to do so much he could be a solid QB. His downfall though is he tries to do too much sometimes, and in turn makes way too many mistakes that kills the team. You take away the mistakes and boneheaded plays and Romo's not bad, he's really not. BUT, you have the mistakes and you have the stupid plays so in that regard you never know when Romo is one throw/scramble away from losing the game for you. Which brings me to Stephen McGee. I really like Stephen McGee, I really do. Don't think he could be as effective right now but with a couple more seasons in the system I think he is capable of starting and winning some games in the National Football League. I remember watching him run the option at Texas A&M and never really looked for him to have much of an NFL future, but he has looked sharp the past couple of pre seasons and whenever he has got into ball games. He is more than likely a career back up at best, but I have been impressed with his progress so far. If something significant happens to Romo I wouldn't be opposed to him playing over Kitna at all. So just with these QB's on the roster, you have to put your faith in Romo. However, if theres an oppurtunity to get a quality QB in the off season I would love for the Cowboys to take it, especially if they could get any value at all out of Romo.
September 12, 201115 yr Author No, those types of things don't just happen. I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that you never allow a guy to run freely up the middle to block a punt. You cannot allow that to happen. I can just as easily say that sometimes things like a goal line fumble happen when you are trying to make a play to win the game. Romo was as much responsible for Dallas being in that position to win the game as he was them losing the lead. I absolutely think it is fair to question his decision making at the end of the game. But it was and is a team effort to lose it. Far from a "team effort" to lose it, but we will just agree to disagree. Team looked great for the most part IMO, especially the defense with all the injuries. I mean they were running their 4th and 5th corners out there on Holmes and Plax. Looked rough in the preseason but I was really loving what Ryan has done to the defense. And yes, football is a team game which in return makes it a team loss and team win, but I think the team played well enough to win the game but lost because of a couple key mistakes.
September 12, 201115 yr Author I specifically recall a moment in the game where Romo did something stupid and he had a huge grin on his face. I can't remember the mistake he made, just that my friends and I discussed the fact that he thought it was funny. He's always smiling like that, no matter whats happened in the game. I think its his constant happy go lucky thing that has caused me to turn on him so much. I would feel a little bad if he threw that pick and you could tell that it really bothered him, but he never looks like anything phases him or never acts like he cares at all. If he ever started to act like he really cared about winning a championship I may try to put everything behind and not give him such a hard time, but he has never cared so far and I don't see him ever really caring. Smile on Tony, you just lost another game, I would smile too.
September 12, 201115 yr I like Romo. I think he and the Cowboys will be alright. Bad mistakes and tough loss last night though.
September 12, 201115 yr I like Romo. I think he and the Cowboys will be alright. Bad mistakes and tough loss last night though. Me too. Considering the offensive line that the Cowboys have, and against one of the better defenses, I thought they looked ok. Dez Bryant is a stud!
September 12, 201115 yr I like Romo. I think he and the Cowboys will be alright. Bad mistakes and tough loss last night though.I have been thinking that ever since he took the helm (one of my loose reasons for choosing Dallas). At times he looks like one of the best in the league, then he will go totally bonehead.
September 12, 201115 yr I have been thinking that ever since he took the helm. At times he looks like one of the best in the league, then he will go totally bonehead. I understand the feeling toward Romo.
September 12, 201115 yr Romo is 31... If he doesn't have the killer instinct now, odds are he's not going to develop it. He still may, but time is running out on that.
September 12, 201115 yr Author Tony Romo...."I cost us the football game." http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/09/cowboys-qb-tony-romo-i-cost-us.html
September 12, 201115 yr I like Romo. I think he and the Cowboys will be alright. Bad mistakes and tough loss last night though. Me too. Considering the offensive line that the Cowboys have, and against one of the better defenses, I thought they looked ok. Dez Bryant is a stud! Mal its funny hearing you say you like him too, if he was a Bengal and doing that at the end of games you would have disliked him and wanted him gone like Palmer. Palmer has won games at the end of games against some of the toughest defenses in football in the Steelers and Ravens. Helped win two division titles in that tough division, and the team only had one bad year in terms of wins and losses when he started. So how could you be so down on Palmer, but yet like Romo? When Romo has done about the same, but Palmer is probably better at the end of games.
September 12, 201115 yr As you all may well know, I am a huge Dallas Cowboys fan, HUGE! I turned 24 on the 2nd of this month and since the time I was four or five years old I have been with the Cowboys, thats 20 years. I know a lot of people will question my 20 years of fandom being I was young for some of it, but believe me, instead of cartoons growing up, I would much rather watch ESPN and sportscenter. I have seen the highs of highs (The triplets, super bowl rings, being America's team) and I have seen the lowest of lows (last season, post Aikman era, 10 years without playoff win). I have been through it all and will continue to be a Dallas fan for the rest of my life. BUT, after seathing over last nights meltodwn, I get to work and I am still tore up about it. Can any QB in football be a worst QB in the clutch than Tony Romo (I refer to him as Tony [something that rhymes with Romo])? I mean I was so giddy to watch the Cowboys play such a good game. Rob Ryan had the defense looking good, even when key guys were out. The Cowboys were thought to be super weak in the secondary coming in and with Terrence Newman out, and Mike Jenkins and Scandrick going out for numerous possessions, the Boys' D still maintained. I was so happy to see such a good performance against a team that is one of the heavy favorites for the Super Bowl. THEN, thats when Romo strikes. After Jason Witten nets a catch and run all the way inside the three yard line, genuis coach Jason Garrett decides to run it only on the first play and then throw on the next two, the last of which on a 3rd and Goal from the 1, Romo tries to be superman and get the TD only to fumble and give the Jets possession. A FG more than likely seals the game there, a TD (I think they could have gotten into the endzone in two/three running plays) no doubt wins the game. Jets then march all the way down the field against a depleted Cowboys corner group (were playing their dime corners and bench guys as starters) and bring it to within 7 points. After a punt block leads to a Jets TD the game is tied. Cowboys get the ball back later in the game in good field position, get the ball around their own 40. A FG would win, and what does Romo do? No not lead the team down the field for a winning score or get them in FG position. Instead he throws it right to the best corner in football!!!!!!! Right to him!!!!!!! Jason Garretts play calling in certain situation's didn't help, but Tony Romo almost single handedly lost a football game the Dallas Cowboys should have never lost. I am beyond sick of it by now and it pains me he is the starting QB of my beloved team. Is there anybody out there who is worst? I don't think so...... He is flat out terrible, period.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.