uk#1fan

Who do you think wins this game?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think wins this game?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm Dave Wirth I'm nervous. You can explain to kids that Dixie will be a better team this week and that the Camels are still growing but they're kids. They think their big W plus Dixie's big L = victory. That can be tough to overcome for the staff.

If I'm Dave Wirth I'm nervous. You can explain to kids that Dixie will be a better team this week and that the Camels are still growing but they're kids. They think their big W plus Dixie's big L = victory. That can be tough to overcome for the staff.

Agreed...it happens all the time with young kids. I would be very surprised if this is more than a 10 point game either way.

In my opinion, this game will depend almost entirely on the mindset (and egos) of the Cov Cath players. The players need to be prepared for a tough game, even after the results of the Cov Cath/Campbell Co. game and the New Cath/Dixie game this past week. Cov Cath has a lot of underclassman playing right now, and they need to make sure they don't walk onto the field expecting Dixie to lay down. I wouldn't be surprised to see a very close game.

It's probably worth adding that, if I'm not mistaken, Dixie sees this game as one of their biggest rivalry games. I don't know if the Blue Colonels share the same sentiment so much these days, so that may well have some effect on the game.

If Pike were able to play, he would have had to have one of the best performances ever to beat NCC, a much smaller school. Big ups to NCC for the blow out, but dysfunctional seems like an accurate term to describe Dixie right now.

Cov Cath on the other hand seems to be playing well.

You know, the more I think about the bolded, the less I agree with it. One player, particularly the QB and even more particularly a stud QB, has a huge impact on a game. Gohorn gets to play WR, which dramatically improves the receiving corps. Pike playing dramatically improves the QB position, especially the passing game. A much stronger passing game makes the running game (especially when you are adding Pike's abilities to the running game) much, much tougher do defend against. Dixie with Pike is a much better and different offense than Dixie without Pike. Offense stays on the field much, much more which not only helps Dixie's defense stay off the field and get rested and coached, but it keeps the NCC's players playing both ways on the field a lot more on the defensive side. That hurts NCC offensively as well as defensively.

We'll never know of course, but I'm not convinced that NCC would have won if Pike would have played.

CovCath has obviously dramatically improved over years past, but I'm not as down on Dixie as some are based on the NCC game performance.

Edited by Birdsfan

You know, the more I think about the bolded, the less I agree with it. One player, particularly the QB and even more particularly a stud QB, has a huge impact on a game. Gohorn gets to play WR, which dramatically improves the receiving corps. Pike playing dramatically improves the QB position, especially the passing game. A much stronger passing game makes the running game (especially when you are adding Pike's abilities to the running game) much, much tougher do defend against. Dixie with Pike is a much better and different offense than Dixie without Pike. Offense stays on the field much, much more which not only helps Dixie's defense stay off the field and get rested and coached, but it keeps the NCC's players playing both ways on the field a lot more on the defensive side. That hurts NCC offensively as well as defensively.

We'll never know of course, but I'm not convinced that NCC would have won if Pike would have played.

CovCath has obviously dramatically improved over years past, but I'm not as down on Dixie as some are based on the NCC game performance.

100% agreement on all points.

I'm assuming that you watched the game on I High. W/ Pike this is a 35-21ish game. Dixie had no hope in stopping NewCath's running game. Eddie, again, called a tremendous game. He had Dixie off balanced. That had as much to do w/ Dixie's defense as NewCath's oline. He was a step ahead the whole game. Remember, Dixie's scores were a kickoff return that was about 2 feet away from being a touchback and a score late in the 4th quarter. Pike obviously makes a huge difference, but he doens't win that game.

As for CovCath, they present a whole different beast for Dixie. NewCath is tough to match up w/ b/c of all the different formations that they run from plus the motion and ball fakes. CovCath will run mostly out of the spread/shotgun, giving Gray a ton of space to run in. I will be interested to see what Dixie tries to take away b/c they will have to defend the whole field against CovCath.

I think you'll be hearing the crazies chant Cov Cath Highway by the end of the game. Could be close, but I believe that CCH wins by more than 7. Blue Colonels finally have some strength and speed, and an offense that Dixie will struggle to hold down. Dixie always plays CCH with a chip on their shoulder, so I think this will be a battle.