Florida recommendations

nees1212

Looking to possibly head back to Florida this summer. Anybody have any recommendations for the Siesta Key or Destin/Panama areas? Any other spots north of Siesta Key? I don't want to drive any longer than I have to with two little ones. We're wanting a 2 bedroom place on the beach. Thanks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Siesta Key beach is amazing. When we stayed there we had to make the trip as inexpensive as possible. Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express just across the bridge to the key. Was about a 3 minute drive to parking lot for Siesta Key public beach, and we got our room for about $85.00 per night. That was three years ago. On the drive down, it may be a little bit further, but take 275 around St. Petersburg and cross the Sunshine Skyway. The view is amazing.

We are going to Destin for the first time in June. We are staying at a place called Sandpiper Cove.

I have not been in awhile, but there used a place called Maguire's Steakhouse and Brewery, if it is still around you ought to check it out!

We are going to Destin for the first time in June. We are staying at a place called Sandpiper Cove.

I haven't been to Destin in years so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts.

Mine are based on the way Destin was back in about 1990 and then going back 10+ years later and having it grown into a monster that the roads can't handle. That may have changed as I haven't been in 8 to 10 years.

I don't know your price range but I recommend Blue Mountain Beach which is a beachouse community sandwiched in between Destin and Panama City. We stayed there in 2006 I believe and loved having a private beach all to ourselves. Perfectly located between Destin and Panama City.

For Florida travelers in June beware of the Junegrass. It is very annoying and if not for the tropical storm that washed it all away we would have had a long annoying week in the Gulf of Mexico. It is better to deal with grass than oil though.

http://www.emeraldcoast.com/articles/grass-7113-waters-local.html

We stayed in a condo there two years ago. You'll have to cross the road to enter their private beach area. Mcguire's (mentioned above) is less than a mile west of the condos and they have good food and their own brewery. Make sure you are careful when using the restroom, it can be confusing.