Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Athletic Banquets & Individual Player Awards - Good or Bad

Featured Replies

I'm curious as to how player recognition/awards, if any, are given at your athletic banquet.

 

I've been to banquets where lots of individual awards are given, some based on stats alone (i.e. free throw %, rebounds, etc) and others more subjective in nature (i.e. Outstanding Player, Most Improved, Mr Hustle, etc). Sometimes the coaches do all the selections, and at some the players vote for several of the awards.

 

I've also seen the approach of no individual awards presented. The concept is that it is a team game and individual recognition just distracts from the team.

 

These two approaches are miles apart and I would like to know which of these approaches is more prevelant.

 

Do individual awards at the local banquet serve as a motivational tool, or do they serve as a hinderance to building team play? I'd especially like some of you veteran coaches to weigh-in with your thoughts.

We don't have a athletic banquet for our boys basketball team.

I think that if conducted properly they provide a fitting wrap-up to the just concluded basketball season.

 

I always call it "Pat-on-the-back" night. It kind of wraps up the season with a warm-fuzzy feeling about the year.

 

As far as awards go, some have more meaning than others, but the seniors walking away from their careers with a piece of hardware to show for it is pretty harmless.

 

We do not serve food in conjunction with our "Awards Night" and the total boys basketball program presentation lasts less than 45 minutes.

 

This year we recognized our 10th Region Champion Freshmen team (26-1) and provided them a memento of their accomplishment. We presented our freshmen coach with a memento of his 100th coaching victory. Our JVs were introduced and their season reviewed. Coach Code introduced the varsity - the 10th Region "A" Champs, and presented the coaching staff with 10th Region "A" Coaching Staff of the Year plaques - sharing the honor that he personally received at the 10th Region Banquet. In addition to our statistical honorees, Dylan Dierig was named our "22" Nathan Seiter Memorial Award, and Daniel Schultz our "Mitch Orth Mr. Hustle" award. Sophomore Jutin Saunders and Junior Zach Fardo were Co-MVPs. So to answer your question. Yes, I think that "Awards Nights" are appreciated and they do serve a purpose.

This may have been coach Code's last banquet, as I hear Covcath's Mr. Rowe has been calling about a opening.

This may have been coach Code's last banquet, as I hear Covcath's Mr. Rowe has been calling about a opening.

 

I seriously doubt that Mike Code is going to give up a teaching job at Highlands High School to teach and coach at CovCath. From what I understand, Brossart had a very good frosh class and they are competitive year in and year out in the 10th region. Mike Code is going nowhere IMO.

This may have been coach Code's last banquet, as I hear Covcath's Mr. Rowe has been calling about a opening.

 

Mike Code is not on the CovCath list of potential candidates.

A basketball banquet was always a big night at the school that I attended. I remember that each boy received a plaque with all his stats on it. The coach also gave small plaques to each who had Perfect Practice Attendance and FG%, FT% ,RB LEADER and ASSIST LEADER and never ever gave one for LEADING SCORER. That's fair and no one was left out.

It's just hard to believe that schools don't have these for the boys.

Edited by The Old Bull Dog

Every sport I film for at Warren Central has a banquet. Typically, most individual awards are voted on by players with some stats based. Our football team has some coaches awards, with each coach presenting a "Count On" award to a player in their area that they could count on to be a leader in their area.

Banquets are great way to recap a season and lots of blood, sweat and tears. What could possibly be bad about a banquet?

  • Author
Are you asking about banquest/awards for basketball only, or for all sports?

 

I was primarily asking about basketball, but it would apply to all sports.

 

Are individual awards, be they pure statistical or more subjective, given at your banquet? Or is the feeling that recognizing individuals is a distraction to team play so they are not done?

Well, I'm not sure what the basis for the individual awards are these days at Cov Cath, but at least while I was there, excepting the school record board, all of the award recipients were decided on by the coaching staff. I would personally prefer individual awards to be given to players on a quantifiable basis, though, because I think it would prevent any hurt feelings over any kind of perceived favoritism. Give an award for the most sacks/interceptions/yards gained in football, most assists or steals in basketball, etc. Those things can't be argued. Nobody can really justify having feelings that "coach always liked Joe better than me anyway".

I personally do not mind given individual awards at banquets. However, I think the coaches need to use common sense and keep awards to only a handful and not get to the point that they are giving out 10-12 awards. That is when it gets absolutely ridiculous.

I personally do not mind given individual awards at banquets. However, I think the coaches need to use common sense and keep awards to only a handful and not get to the point that they are giving out 10-12 awards. That is when it gets absolutely ridiculous.

 

Agreed.

 

I'm 99.4% sure that Mason County holds a recognition banquet for basketball, but I don't know the details.

Is Highlands football banquet still going on or has it wrapped up?

 

 

 

 

 

 

I could not resist....

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.