Using the Belt on Kids Like in the Good Ol' Days

Clyde

I see a lot of references on BGP to the good ol' days when Ma and Pa used the belt on Junior to teach him right from wrong. I hear a lot of people say it needs to come back and we'd be better off.

So, how many of you parents have ever used a belt on your children's rear end?

I got the belt when I was a kid. Heck, my babysitter used to hit me with a swtich on my bare bottom.

I've never hit my kids with a belt.

You?

Pretty much the same as you. I got the flyswatter or a switch from the maple tree; never a belt.

Other than a fairly tame swat to the abckside, I've never raised a hand against either of my children. No belt, no swatter, no switch, no bare hand.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you a parent?

No I'm not. But I don't see myself spanking my children unless its drastic. Having 11 nieces and nephews, I hear my siblings all the time saying it hurts them more than the child. They spank rarely as possible, only in drastic measures same as my parents did with us. I imagine I would be the same way. It hurts my feelings when I just see my nephews or nieces get the belt.

Funny story, My oldest sister was going to spank her youngest (5 or 6) for something she did. My niece goes to her room and puts on layers of pants on. Comes down and says "I'm ready for my spanking" My sister and her husband obviously saw the pounds my niece added. They spanked her with all the clothes on and obviously it didn't hurt but they let her think that she got away with it. Even they could not refrain from laughing.

I was spanked as a child, but never with more than a hand. Truthfully, I can't even recall whether or not I was bare bottomed when it happened.

I don't have children yet, but I do anticipate that I will spank in the same manner as my parents. I do not plan on ever using a utensil of any kind to do so. I have spanked my nieces before, so I'm not averse to the practice, though it was uncomfortable doing so to someone that wasn't my child. I only did after being explicitly told by my sisters to do it if I was not obeyed again.

I have four sons, the first two got it but I choked up on the belt, the next two they heard from the first two. Sometimes I'd just pretend I was gonna remove it, then I started wearing shorts with no belt and I looked stupid.

My dad wouldn't use his belt, he would use anything close, but thats the way he was raised and it was all he knew. It made me a better dad.

Never got the belt,never gave the belt.From what I can remember I may have got a hand spanking but no objects were used.Seems like I just got yelled at.:taz:I never had to spank my son.Thank God most of the time he was a good kid,I was very fortunate.Now He was not perfect,so the Time out thing always did the trick.

I personally think spankings should be a last resort especially when it comes down to a belt spanking.:thumb:

I got the belt, the switch, the shoe, the hairbrush, the ruler, even a cast iron skillet to the head before. I remember vividly trying to sit in class with oozing whelps on my back, thighs and backside. I have never hit my kids with anything.

Whether it helped or not is debatable. I often got "it" for stuff I didn't even do, and just as often got "it" for stuff I did. Did I do the same things again? I don't think so. But I did run away from home, did leave home the day I graduated, didn't make one decision that was based on rational thought toward the future. All I wanted to do was get out of my parent's home.

There is a difference between a spanking and a beating. Sounds like you took some beatings. Sorry to hear that.